snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 15 July 2009, 12:01 PM

Baseball Buying an Hour of Daddy's Time

A man came home from work late, tired and irritated, to find his 5-year old son waiting for him at the door…
SON: ‘Daddy, may I ask you a question?’
DAD: ‘Yeah sure, what it is?’ replied the man…
SON: ‘Daddy, how much do you make an hour?’
DAD: ‘That’s none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?’ the man said angrily.
SON: ‘I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?’
DAD: ‘If you must know, I make $50 an hour.’
SON: ‘Oh,’ the little boy replied, with his head down.
SON: ‘Daddy, may I please borrow $25?’

The father was furious, ‘If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish… I don’t work hard everyday for such childish frivolities’
The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.

The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boy’s questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money?

After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down , and started to think:
Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $25.00 and he really didn’t ask for money very often The man went to the door of the little boy’s room and opened the door.

‘Are you asleep, son?’ He asked.

‘No daddy, I’m awake,’ replied the boy.

‘I’ve been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier’ said the man. ‘It’s been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here’s the $25 you asked for…’

The little boy sat straight up, smiling. ‘Oh, thank you daddy!’ he yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills.
The man saw that the boy already had money, started to get angry again.
The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his father.

‘Why do you want more money if you already have some?’ the father grumbled.

‘Because I didn’t have enough, but now I do,’ the little boy replied.
‘Daddy, I have $50 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you.’

The father was crushed. He put his arms around his little son, and he begged for his forgiveness.

It’s just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts. Do remember to share that $50 worth of your time with someone you love.

If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of hours. But the family & friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives

-------------------------------------
Old 15 July 2009, 12:14 PM

Australia

Buy the little bugger a Wii.

I'm slipping off down the pub for six hours.
Old 15 July 2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHobbit View Post
Buy the little bugger a Wii.

I'm slipping off down the pub for six hours.

I'm not a parent so I ask parents. What would kids prefer, 6 hours of your time or a Wii?
Old 15 July 2009, 12:30 PM

My daughter isn't old enough for a Wii yet, but judging from her requests up to now, I would say: Six hours with mum and dad and the Wii!

Don Enrico
Old 15 July 2009, 01:00 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post

I'm not a parent so I ask parents. What would kids prefer, 6 hours of your time or a Wii?
Speaking of myself and my father, I'd have preferred the Wii.
Old 15 July 2009, 01:07 PM

I left my last job (which involved international travel 5 days of the week, meaning i was only home on weekends) when my 4 year old son asked me who I was.

I told him I was his daddy and he responded "I KNOW your my Daddy, but are you one of Mommies friends?"

gotta wonder where the kid got the original $25 though don't it
Old 15 July 2009, 04:52 PM

I find it funny how many glurges are the identical to country songs...
in this case it's "the dollar"
Old 15 July 2009, 05:02 PM

I would have Paid my father $50 to go away when I was a kid.
Old 15 July 2009, 05:04 PM

I also want to know why a five year old had $25. He's probably running some lemonade stand racket.
Old 15 July 2009, 05:41 PM

I might say that Daddy is a jerk.
Getting angry at his five year old son who asks how much he makes an hour? Getting furious because he thinks his child wants a *gasp!* toy that is not from the Dollar General. then getting angry again since his son dared to have money already?
I mean, coming home late, making $50 an hour? That NSFBKhead is clearly an Office Manager or some other high'ish ranking workaholic. (My wife, an RN makes HALF his money an hour, I, a housekeeper make even less of course. And we cant help but stumble over toys.)

Quote:
If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of hours.
Heck, no. We are somewhat understaffed in my department and on some days when others call off or are on vacation I do the job of more than one person. They could hardly replace me in a matter of hours.
Old 15 July 2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDBlackwolf View Post
Heck, no. We are somewhat understaffed in my department and on some days when others call off or are on vacation I do the job of more than one person. They could hardly replace me in a matter of hours.
If you earn less than the GlurgeParent does but still work as hard and are (to your mind) more indispensible, then that just means that you should get angry with your children over even smaller amounts of money, surely? Aren't you missing the point?
Old 15 July 2009, 10:46 PM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
My daughter isn't old enough for a Wii yet, but judging from her requests up to now, I would say: Six hours with mum and dad and the Wii!

Don Enrico
That would be the Boy Wonder's preference but truthfully he would rather spend the day with his Mum and I than play video games by himself. I regularly feel a little embarassed at the extent to which he craves my time and attention* - what makes me so special?

Dropbear

*which he gets a lot of by the way - usually at least an hour and a half a day direct talking, chatting, playing together in addition to the normal just being in the house together.
Old 16 July 2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
That would be the Boy Wonder's preference but truthfully he would rather spend the day with his Mum and I than play video games by himself. I regularly feel a little embarassed at the extent to which he craves my time and attention* - what makes me so special?

Dropbear
I get the same from my son, and feel the same sense of...well, not being quite worth it. Don't worry, in just a few years he will want nothing to do with you for a few years.
Old 16 July 2009, 06:27 PM

Apparantly the hour would also save the from catching teh gay virus.

Photo "see the fautography thread for more info" Bob
Old 16 July 2009, 11:36 PM

This vaguely sounds like a rip off of a PSA (I believe from the Mormons) a few years ago. One of the parents (I think it was the mom, but memory s failing me) is all busines, business, on the cell phone, scheduling lunches and stuff, while her little boy is watching. The kid comes up and says something like, "When can you schedule some free time for me" (He used some business jargon she was saying. Again, don't recall it exactly). She stops, realises what an awful mother she is - y'know, because work is ebil - and hugs her kid and they're closer now.
Old 17 July 2009, 12:13 AM

Oh, IIRC, not only does she hug him, but they all pile in the car and go to the lake, so there's an additional message that her work wasn't really that important after all. I wondered if that was why they used the mother, and not the father, who doesn't seem to be present, for the PSA.