snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 23 June 2009, 04:52 AM

Icon104 Mt. Rushmore's hidden faces

Here are 10 things you probably didn't know about Mt. Rushmore, one of America's favorite landmarks.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,2277869.story
Old 24 June 2009, 09:40 PM

Canada

And then there's Mt. Rushmore from the Canadian side.
Old 25 June 2009, 01:01 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLite View Post
That's truly superb! B. Kliban did a cartoon with roughly the same idea, except that the butts were bare-arsed. But that photo is far and away the better treatment of the joke!

Silas
Old 25 June 2009, 03:23 AM

Icon401

I thought this thread would be about actual hidden faces that only certain people can see. Like a baboon extra face.

I was at Mt. Rushmore once, when my dad and brother and I were driving back from my grandmother's funeral. I got a new roll of film, and my dad loaded my camera - I took lots of photos. Unfortunately, he loaded it wrong, and the film never advanced. Some day I must go back and do a re-shoot.
Old 25 June 2009, 05:33 PM

"The sculptor had Klan connections."

Oh, no. We must now blast the monument from existence so that it won't offend African-Americans.
Seriously, though, we've got a major Senate leader (on the Democratic side who endorsed Barack Obama in the primary campaign despite his home state's overwhelming support for Hillary) who had "Klan connections". IMO, what's worse is that this person joined the KKK the year AFTER the Rushmore sculptor died. While it's not a pleasant thing to remember, the simple fact is that for much of the first half of the 20th century, the KKK was as active--and as widely supported--in the NORTH as in Dixie, and one would be hard-pressed to find many white Americans who didn't participate with the Klan; the Klan, it should be noted, not only acted against Blacks, but also against Jews, Catholics, immigrants, and Communists, with the latter four groups more often being the targets of Klan activity.
Old 25 June 2009, 06:09 PM

Icon104

Most people don't know that all the other presidents' faces are likewise carved into Mt. Rushmore, but on a scale too small to be visible at the distance from which tourists view the mountain.
Old 25 June 2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRainbow View Post

Oh, no. We must now blast the monument from existence so that it won't offend African-Americans.
No one suggested any such thing. The OP article certainly didn't.

Quote:
While it's not a pleasant thing to remember, the simple fact is that for much of the first half of the 20th century, the KKK was as active--and as widely supported--in the NORTH as in Dixie, and one would be hard-pressed to find many white Americans who didn't participate with the Klan; the Klan, it should be noted, not only acted against Blacks, but also against Jews, Catholics, immigrants, and Communists, with the latter four groups more often being the targets of Klan activity.
Cite, please, for the bits I bolded?
Old 25 June 2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
8. If it weren't for the viewing area nearby, Mt. Rushmore would be nearly invisible on Google Earth.
I was maybe 4 years old when I saw Mount Rushmore. It was ages ago and my memory is not to be trusted, but I seem to remember we were walking and walking and I wasn't seeing anything exciting and all of a sudden, BOOM! There it was.
Old 25 June 2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Not them, but a small support could be that Indiana was in the first half of the 20th Century a Klan stronghold. It's fallen off since, but during the time of the building of Rushmore, the Indiana Klan had a great deal of political power.
Old 09 July 2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRainbow

I'm guessing you missed the sarcasm. Anyways, why bother mentioning the "Klan connections" in the first place? If the article had mentioned the sculptor's being a descendant or blood relative of Michelangelo, THAT would have been worth a mention.

Quote:
Quote:
While it's not a pleasant thing to remember, the simple fact is that for much of the first half of the 20th century, the KKK was as active--and as widely supported--in the NORTH as in Dixie, and one would be hard-pressed to find many white Americans who didn't participate with the Klan; the Klan, it should be noted, not only acted against Blacks, but also against Jews, Catholics, immigrants, and Communists, with the latter four groups more often being the targets of Klan activity.

Um, does the name Robert Byrd ring any bells? West Virginia, after all, seceded from Virginia during the Civil War over its own (supposed) opposition to slavery, yet an aspiring politician from a non-slave state felt his career would benefit from membership in the Klan. Nah, no participation from white Americans outside of Dixie.
As to the Jews, Catholics, immigrants and Communists, perhaps I should have been a bit clearer. These were the targets in the North moreso than the South due to a somewhat less substantial Black population, especially in rural areas. Also, as Casey noted, Indiana's politics for nearly a decade in the early 20th Century was heavily influenced (if not outright dominated) by the Klan. You can always head to Wikipedia for a fairly decent start on Klan history but here's a little bit about Klan 2.0 (1915-1944)

--Director D. W. Griffith's [1915] The Birth of a Nation glorified the original Klan. His film was based on the book and play The Clansman and the book The Leopard's Spots, both by Thomas Dixon. . . . The film created a nationwide Klan craze.
--The Birth of a Nation included extensive quotations from Woodrow Wilson's History of the American People, as if to give it a stronger basis. . . .Given Wilson's views on race and the earlier Klan, his statement was taken as supportive of the film. (Considering that, as President, Wilson was responsible for re-segregating much of the Government, even to the point of firing Blacks already employed in favor of less-qualified Whites, especially in management positions, and restricting how far Blacks could advance in the government, this point about Wilson and race is not just some speculation. Wilson's tenure at Princeton was also noted for discouraging Blacks from even applying to the school.)
--Another event that influenced the Klan was sensational coverage of the trial, conviction and lynching of a Jewish factory manager from Atlanta named Leo Frank. In lurid newspaper accounts, Frank was accused of the rape and murder of Mary Phagan, a girl employed at his factory. (Wiki even has a picture of the LYNCHING of Leo Frank.
--In 1921, the Klan arrived in Oregon from central California and established the state's first klavern in Medford. In a state with one of the country's highest percentages of white residents, the Klan attracted up to 14, 000 members and established 58 klaverns by the end of 1922. Given the small population of non-white minorities outside Portland, the Oregon Klan directed attention almost exclusively against Catholics, who numbered about 8% of the population.
--A significant characteristic of the second Klan was that it was an organization based in urban areas, reflecting the major shifts of population to cities in both the North and the South. In Michigan, for instance, 40, 000 members lived in Detroit, where they made up more than half of the state's membership. Most Klansmen were lower- to middle-class whites who were trying to protect their jobs and housing from the waves of newcomers to the industrial cities: immigrants from southern and eastern Europe, who tended to be Catholic and Jewish in numbers higher than earlier groups of immigrants; and black and white migrants from the South. (You'll note that WHITE migrants are listed as targets alongside their Black counterparts.)
--In reaction to social changes, the Klan adopted anti-Jewish, anti-Catholic, anti-Communist and anti-immigrant slants. The social unrest of the postwar period included labor strikes in response to low wages and poor working conditions in many industrial cities, often led by immigrants, who also organized unions.
--Although Klan members were concentrated in the South, Midwest and west, there were some members in New England, too. Klan members torched an African American school in Scituate, Rhode Island. In the 1920s and 1930s, a violent and zealous faction of the Klan called the Black Legion was active in the Midwestern U.S.
--The Klan spread from the South into the Midwest and Northern states, and into Canada where there was a large movement against Catholic immigrants. At its peak, Klan membership exceeded four million and comprised 20% of the adult white male population in many broad geographic regions, and 40% in some areas. Most of the Klan's membership resided in Midwestern states.
--Klan delegates played a significant role at the path-setting 1924 Democratic National Convention in New York City, often called the "Klanbake Convention". The convention initially pitted Klan-backed candidate William Gibbs McAdoo against Catholic New York Governor Al Smith. After days of stalemates and rioting, both candidates withdrew in favor of a compromise. Klan delegates defeated a Democratic Party platform plank that would have condemned their organization.

If you actually knew anything about the Klan's history (and living in Montgomery, AL helps a person have some knowledge), you'd know there was never a SINGLE Klan organization. The post-WWII Klan that developed in reaction to the Civil Rights Movement was a different creature from the beast that existed in the first half of the 20th Century (which itself was different from the post-Civil War beast--that one targeted blacks, of course, but it also targeted whites, especially the "carpetbaggers").
Of course, you might not accept the Wiki information, but I'm not interested in digging around for cites that you might or might not accept. I'm aware that Wiki is supposed to be just a starting ground, and not a be-all, end-all of research, but I've done as you asked and provided cites. Whether you accept them or not is not my responsibility.

Last edited by BamaRainbow; 09 July 2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 24 July 2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Kenneth Jackson's Ku Klux Klan In The City is an old, but excellent, source on the so-called second Klan phase which is iconically tied to Stone Mountain in Georgia, but which enjoyed extensive support among northerners concerned with immigration, Jews, and Catholics contaminating the alleged purity of White Protestant America. Those of us descended from these groups are unlikely to have had Klan ties, but in my area, Long Island, an estimated one-in-seven White men belonged to the Klan according to Hofstra historian Mike D'Incenso.
Old 25 July 2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatYoung View Post
Kenneth Jackson's Ku Klux Klan In The City is an old, but excellent, source on the so-called second Klan phase which is iconically tied to Stone Mountain in Georgia, but which enjoyed extensive support among northerners concerned with immigration, Jews, and Catholics contaminating the alleged purity of White Protestant America. Those of us descended from these groups are unlikely to have had Klan ties, but in my area, Long Island, an estimated one-in-seven White men belonged to the Klan according to Hofstra historian Mike D'Incenso.
One in seven white men though, while bad, doesn't really support the claim that: one would be hard-pressed to find many white Americans who didn't participate with the Klan; . Thankfully! One in seven is not "many".
Old 25 July 2009, 10:32 PM
Terra Firma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRainbow View Post
Anyways, why bother mentioning the "Klan connections" in the first place? If the article had mentioned the sculptor's being a descendant or blood relative of Michelangelo, THAT would have been worth a mention.
I found it interesting and relevant. Knowing that the sculptor was involved in Klan activities tells me a whole lot more about him than knowing who some distant ancestor was.
Old 26 July 2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie View Post
One in seven white men though, while bad, doesn't really support the claim that: one would be hard-pressed to find many white Americans who didn't participate with the Klan; . Thankfully! One in seven is not "many".
A lot of white Americans were Catholics and Jews on Long Island. The fact that so many men in a area that borders on NYC in the North surprised me. The Klan in 1920s, while hardly a majoritarian movement, was not the sort of tiny sect that it is today.