snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 12 June 2009, 07:21 AM

Icon02 Urban legend gives good spiders bad reputation

Despite the fact that we live in modern times, urban legends still abound. Have you heard this one yet? “Daddy longlegs are one of the most poisonous spiders but their fangs are too short to bite humans.” This tale has been spread around for years, especially among school-aged children. I have heard it time and again.

http://www.edmondsun.com/features/lo...162233852.html
Old 12 June 2009, 09:10 PM
Ezri

I actually thought this before I searched it up on snopes. I was told this at summer camp years and years ago and it always stuck with me. Even though now i know it's not true I still find myself wanting to repeat this legend to other people.
Old 12 June 2009, 09:49 PM

The title is a myth also as there is no such thing as a "good spider". *shudders*
Old 17 June 2009, 11:33 PM
copychief

Ponder Good as it gets

Ah, but they're all good spiders -- if you mean thriving in their ecological niches like other, less maligned creatures. Moreover, they're actively good in that they eat insects that people don't want around, including flies, roaches, and various crawlies. Not that any animal should have to make a case for its existence based on its utility to humans.

btw, there are three creatures known as daddy long-legs, not two. One is the cellar spider, the fragile critter that hangs around in corners and vibrates rapidly when its web is twanged; second is the harvestman, or opilionid, pill-shaped and reminiscent of the space invaders in War of the Worlds; and third is the crane fly, big and clumsy and harmless, that we've all seen buzzing about the porch light.

Only the spider is venomous, none of the three is poisonous (as far as I know, not having eaten any of them but not having heard of any such deaths, either).
Old 18 June 2009, 09:57 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by copychief View Post

btw, there are three creatures known as daddy long-legs, not two. One is the cellar spider, the fragile critter that hangs around in corners and vibrates rapidly when its web is twanged; second is the harvestman, or opilionid, pill-shaped and reminiscent of the space invaders in War of the Worlds; and third is the crane fly, big and clumsy and harmless, that we've all seen buzzing about the porch light.
Or indeed trying desperately to escape the web it's just been cast into by yours truly

Interesting example of the spread and dilution of ULs - the Daddy Long Legs/venom UL is told in the UK exclusively about Crane Flys, whereas the term is not used as widely to describe spiders.
Old 18 June 2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
Interesting example of the spread and dilution of ULs - the Daddy Long Legs/venom UL is told in the UK exclusively about Crane Flys, whereas the term is not used as widely to describe spiders.
Indeed, the number of people that I have to tell Crane flies aren't the most poisonous creature on the planet it truly astounding. Bizarrely, although they're basically spiders with wings and one fewer set of legs, I don't fear them at all and can quite happily catch them and put them outside.
Old 18 June 2009, 10:19 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
I don't fear them at all and can quite happily catch them and put them outside.
Or freak people out by putting them in your mouth and having them fly out of there like your own personal emissaries of doom.

Dactyl? Hello?
Old 18 June 2009, 11:58 AM

I had never ever heard the daddy-longlegs UL as it wasn't told during my schooldays. Perhaps that tale started to spread long after my schooldays. At primary school, stomping on daddy-longlegs (crane flies) was an annual "sport". At secondary school, we stopped stomping them, but still no tales they were venomous.

My parents kept trying to correct my usage of the "daddy-longlegs" term. To them, it's the harvestman (which can produce icky-smelling liquid as a defence), but to my age group it meant the cranefly.
Old 02 November 2011, 07:49 PM

Read This! Exactly how poisonous is a daddy longlegs?

walked into the office last week and received the following letter, from Edinburg resident Paul Masters, inquiring about daddy longlegs spiders. Masters wanted to know if the oft-repeated children’s urban legend is true that daddy longlegs are the most poisonous spider in the world, but their fangs are so small they cannot bite.

http://pharreast.themonitor.com/2011...addy-longlegs/