snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 22 May 2009, 04:55 AM

Dog Restaurant hits back at rumours it serves cat and dog meat

Staff at a city centre restaurant have condemned an untrue rumour running through the city that they are serving up cat and dog meat.

Workers at the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, China China, said they laughed when they first heard the rumour. But they now fear the joke has gone too far and could affect business.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/ne...l/article.html
Old 27 May 2009, 12:11 AM

Icon204

Chinese cuisine is a bit exotic, but this rumor is ridiculous.

Yes, it might hurt. Some 30 years ago, there were rumors here in the U.S. that McDonalds used horse meat in their hamburgers because beef prices had skyrocketed. That was false, of course.

Barb Rainey
Old 27 May 2009, 12:32 AM

Is it really that uncommon to joke that the mystery meat in certain Chinese dishes is cat or dog? In our family we joke that we're going to "go eat cat" every time we go to eat Chinese.
Old 27 May 2009, 01:11 AM
KKHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Witch View Post
Is it really that uncommon to joke that the mystery meat in certain Chinese dishes is cat or dog? In our family we joke that we're going to "go eat cat" every time we go to eat Chinese.
We always say we're going out for Moo Shu Kitty. I thought just about everyone made similar jokes (and knew they were just jokes).
Old 27 May 2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbrainey View Post
Yes, it might hurt. Some 30 years ago, there were rumors here in the U.S. that McDonalds used horse meat in their hamburgers because beef prices had skyrocketed. That was false, of course.
Horse meat is too dry to make good hamburgers. It makes nice salami style sausages, though.
Old 01 June 2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Horse meat is actually very good for jerkies and salami, and, for all I know, it's more expensive than the beef.
Old 02 June 2009, 06:55 PM
Pink Scorpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKHB View Post
We always say we're going out for Moo Shu Kitty. I thought just about everyone made similar jokes (and knew they were just jokes).
We always joke about going out for "coyote" in reference to a restaurant that had unidentified canines (which were later found to be coyotes) in their freezer a few years back.
Old 06 June 2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKHB View Post
There is a local Chinese eatery that has pictures of small dogs on the front of its menu. I always thought that was hilarious, given the joke.
Old 06 June 2009, 02:39 AM

People in China actually do eat dog meat. But I wouldn't expect any place in the U.S. to serve it.
Old 10 June 2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Some 30 years ago, there were rumors here in the U.S. that McDonalds used horse meat in their hamburgers because beef prices had skyrocketed. That was false, of course.
Guess we were more exotic in Rhode Island. The rumor version here was it was kangaroo meat!
Old 10 December 2009, 08:52 PM

Dog Bristol restaurant dogged by smear campaign offers £10,000 reward

A £10,000 reward has been put up by a Bristol restaurant owner to track down the instigators of a smear campaign which claimed it served dog meat.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homep...l/article.html
Old 10 December 2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbenth View Post
Horse meat is actually very good for jerkies and salami, and, for all I know, it's more expensive than the beef.
Plus horses aren't as cute as kitties. Get back to me when there's pictures of horses doing awesome things like getting for cheeseburgers or asking for surprise butt sex. Or even asking for buckets.
Old 10 December 2009, 09:12 PM

A resturant near my former place of work used to offer "bird curry" and "meat curry" without further details.
Old 10 December 2009, 11:21 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
A resturant near my former place of work used to offer "bird curry" and "meat curry" without further details.
At least it specified "bird" or "meat." The plastic containers of tuna, chicken, ham or egg salad at our hospital cafeteria say "protein salad" on one part of the label.

Wait...the morgue is across the hall from the kitchen...
Old 10 December 2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
A £10,000 reward has been put up by a Bristol restaurant owner to track down the instigators of a smear campaign which claimed it served dog meat.
Quote:
The leaflet features a mocked-up newspaper front page and includes the web address of a real paper, The Daily News, which is based in Los Angeles. It quotes a woman saying her dog has been missing for two months, and that she hopes she has not "ended up in that restaurant".
So the prankster hopes that we will believe that a dog that went missing in Los Angeles, California USA turned up on somebody's plate several thousand miles away in Bristol, Avon, UK?

Yeah I know we get frozen lamb portions from New Zealand here, but that's pushing the bounds of credibility too far. If you want to fool people, try a bit bloody harder - put some effort into it.
Old 11 December 2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettie Page Turner View Post
At least it specified "bird" or "meat." The plastic containers of tuna, chicken, ham or egg salad at our hospital cafeteria say "protein salad" on one part of the label.

Wait...the morgue is across the hall from the kitchen...
When I worked in the lab, the morgue was just across the car park. We used to joke about having summer barbecues in the car park after post mortems.
Old 11 December 2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
It's very common. Or assuming that the beef was from cuts about to go bad, or from low quality cuts. I always assumed it was the cultural clash. We in the West are so used to good meat being served in huge, thick portions that we automatically assume that meat served in small pieces, Chinese style, must be less than OK...or trying to hide its identity.

I know someone who, the first time he went to a Chinese restaurant, said "why is the light so low? They don't want us to really see what's in the plate, do they?"
Old 11 December 2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Avery long standing joke - except unfortunately I suspect some people aren't joking.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Was it just me that thought from the title that the restaurant was being rumoured to serve pet food - tinned meat intended to be given to cats and dogs?
Old 11 December 2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Vargas View Post
We in the West are so used to good meat being served in huge, thick portions that we automatically assume that meat served in small pieces, Chinese style, must be less than OK...or trying to hide its identity.
I'm more suspicious of big chunks of meat e.g. is it properly cooked through (I used to do food sample testing, you get into the habit). However I'm not one for having big chunks of meat (never understood why on earth people needed so much of a cow/sheep/pig on their plate!); where used it tends to be a flavouring, not the main attraction.
Old 11 December 2009, 10:57 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Avery long standing joke - except unfortunately I suspect some people aren't joking.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Was it just me that thought from the title that the restaurant was being rumoured to serve pet food - tinned meat intended to be given to cats and dogs?
Yes; I've known people who have categorically stated that they have friends (of course!) who have see the walk-in coolers and their meat is dead cats and dogs because the bodies were in there. Of course it isn't an urban legend! It's true. One of the more xenophobic people I worked with in Wausau had this mindset and told me this UL more than once about different Chinese restaurants in town.