snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 03 May 2009, 03:41 AM

Chicken Feeding chicken bones to pets

Comment: I've got a bone to pick with you.

My vet says dogs can eat chicken bones - he says it is a myth that they
should not. I've heard other credible sources say they will splinter and
harm dogs or cats.

Both are carnivores - so is this just a fowl rumor? don't be a chicken -
see if you can answer it....
Old 03 May 2009, 03:46 AM
mindiloohoo

My understanding (from my veterinarian/grandfather) is that dogs can eat RAW chicken bones. The cooked bones will splinter, and can be deadly. I have no real info to back this up however.
Old 03 May 2009, 04:18 AM

I'd understood that too - but I've also heard claims that even raw chicken bones are unsafe for large dog breeds. Small dogs, no problem. Unsure of the exact reasoning - maybe a bigger dog's more powerful jaw would splinter raw bones as easily as cooked ones, or maybe it's just a greater choking hazard?
Old 03 May 2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindiloohoo View Post
My understanding (from my veterinarian/grandfather) is that dogs can eat RAW chicken bones. The cooked bones will splinter, and can be deadly. I have no real info to back this up however.
On the other hand, raw chicken bones are probably risky in countries that still has salmonella.
Old 03 May 2009, 04:55 AM

My vet told us to give our cat raw chicken bones for his teeth. We tried it, but the cat wanted no part of them.
Old 03 May 2009, 11:54 AM

My dad (no kind of expert veterinary source) always told me that the chicken's fibula bone (that tiny splinter of a bone you sometimes get on a drumstick) was the dangerous thing for a dog to get hold of because it was so thin that it probably would get swallowed whole rather than chewed up, and needle-sharp on the ends so that it could pierce internal organs. The tibia (big drumstick bone) or thighbone were safe for dogs to eat.

*shrug*
Old 03 May 2009, 02:09 PM

Just a anecdote, but both my dogs, big and little, eat raw food, including chicken, turkey and cornish game hen. The Collie has eaten raw for 6 years now. Nobody has choked yet. In fact, chicken feet are a favorite snack.

That being said, neither dog eats stripped down bones, cooked or uncooked. The bones are always padded with a layer of meat and skin. I never, ever feed cooked bones.

Dog have choked or had impactions from bones. But dogs choke on lots of things, including kibble.
Old 05 May 2009, 10:48 PM

Raw chicken bones are fine for dogs. The only problem I can think of with big dogs is that the dogs might try to swallow them whole and choke. Aside from that, no problem. My 70+ pound German Shepherd does just fine with raw chicken including the bones although I've stopped giving it to her due to her allergies.

Cooked chicken bones are NOT good for dogs. Cooked bones in general are not good. They are brittle and can splinter easily. This can cause perforations in the intestinal tract. That said, I've had dogs eat them (when they raided the garbage) and be just fine but there is a risk and so they are not safe for dogs to eat. Once my dog had gotten into the garbage SOMEONE had left in her reach and went to the vet later that day. She ended up getting x-rays (for something unrelated) and they showed pieces of chicken bones in her stomach...oops. My vet recommended feeding her white bread, which would help to cushion the bones as they traveled through. I've also heard of feeding dogs cotton balls soaked in milk when they eat sharp objects..
Old 05 May 2009, 11:58 PM

You can feed dogs or cats cooked chicken bones if you boil them down with two or three tablespoons of vinegar added to the broth. This softens and breaks them down. Once they'r reduced to jelly or sludge, you can mix in other goodies and feed your pets!
Old 06 May 2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa who else View Post
You can feed dogs or cats cooked chicken bones if you boil them down with two or three tablespoons of vinegar added to the broth. This softens and breaks them down. Once they'r reduced to jelly or sludge, you can mix in other goodies and feed your pets!
Prolonged pressure cooking will do the same and you end up with a gelatine mix. The unsoftened bones can be strained out. I used to boil down chicken carcases for stock (still do in winter).
Old 03 August 2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
On the other hand, raw chicken bones are probably risky in countries that still has salmonella.
Like Australia???

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austral...irl-court-told

The family of a Sydney girl is suing Kentucky Fried Chicken, claiming she became brain damaged and crippled from salmonella poisoning after eating a twister wrap from a KFC restaurant in the city's west.
Old 06 August 2009, 01:14 PM

We were taught that bones are digestable, but get indigestable if cooked.
Old 06 August 2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Like Australia???
Apparently.
Old 06 August 2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Angua View Post
We were taught that bones are digestable, but get indigestable if cooked.
Slight hijack regarding bones and cooking: My local Chinese restaurant does amazing spare ribs where the bones are marinated and cooked until soft. You end up eating the bones as well. Hard to describe the texture - imagine the hardness of raw carrot, but the texture of jelly.
Old 06 August 2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa who else View Post
This sounds like something Andrew Zimmern would eat on Bizzare Foods or whatever it's called.
Old 06 August 2009, 02:58 PM

Do dogs get salmonella? I mean, they eat everything raw.
Old 06 August 2009, 05:01 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Do dogs get salmonella? I mean, they eat everything raw.
Yes, they do. My parents had a couple of dogs (before I was born) who got salmonella once. It was not pleasant.