snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 06 March 2007, 10:24 PM

Default Wendy's immortal chili batch

A friend of mine has told me that Wendy's chili is made by adding in the beef from the leftover hamburgers at the end of the day into an ongoing batch of chili. Then they do the same thing the following day with the chili from yesterday, and so on. Essentially, they just keep the same batch going rather than making a new batch.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Old 06 March 2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Billion View Post
A friend of mine has told me that Wendy's chili is made by adding in the beef from the leftover hamburgers at the end of the day into an ongoing batch of chili. Then they do the same thing the following day with the chili from yesterday, and so on. Essentially, they just keep the same batch going rather than making a new batch.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I worked at Wendy's as a teenager.

They absolutely do use the unsold burgers as chili meat.

Because they make burgers to order, the patties sit on the grill, waiting for a customer to order a hamburger, and then they custom make it.

But it can only sit on the grill for a certain number of minutes after it's cooked (and I don't remember how many) so if they don't sell, they remove them from the grill and toss them in a container underneath the grill and those are ground up and used for the chili.

~I did not cook at Wendy's, I just took orders, so I only know this from observation and wasn't ever really told the exact rules. But this is what they did. I don't know how long they sit under the grill before they are taken away or at what temperature they are stored. I would imagine they follow food safety guidelines. And really, as long as they do, it's not all that bad of an idea - otherwise they'd either be throwing away a lot of meat, or, you'd have to wait for them to cook the burger all the way from raw every time you ordered one (except during peak rush hours) and that takes a lot longer than what people expect from fast food.

Now as to if they just keep reusing the chili and adding more to it, that, I don't know. I kind of doubt it because that is just ptomaine asking to happen. But I don't know for sure. Carter was still in office at the time I worked there so I don't remember every thing, but some stuff is crystal clear.

But yes, they do use unsold burger patties for the chili.

snap*would you like a creamy chocolate Frosty frozen dairy dessert with that today?*dragonfly
Old 08 March 2007, 06:52 AM
woodland elf

MMMM.. Wendy's Chili... I have not been able to eat chili there since 1995 when Jodi Huisentruit went missing. The local Wendy's had on their front sign:

Fresh HOT Chili

Then under it in the lower right corner it said "Find Jodi". I couldn't help but think that she just might be in the Chili.

Didn't we discuss this before?
Old 08 March 2007, 10:03 AM
Mnotr2

Snapdragonfly is correct, they do use leftover "over-cooked" hamburger patties in the chili, but they don't add them to an ongoing batch of chili. At least not at the Wendy's where I worked.

They do account for each patty though, for example if a patty has cheese or condiments on it, it can't be used in the chili and must be discarded and annotated. We'd simply say "waste one" to the cashier, and he/she'd make a mark on a form. At the end of the day the manager would account for all the "wasted" patties. One time I was working on the grill, and placed a patty half on the bun, half off (we were busy, I'm sorry!). The sandwich maker simply applied the top bun and wrapped the burger. The assistant manager (what an NFBSK-hole) yelled at me "you broke that patty, if you served me a burger like that I'd throw it at you", and then he did. We were in such a rythym that without missing a beat I picked the wrapped sandwich up from the grill, threw it away, calmly said "waste one" as the sandwich maker re-made the bun and I carefully laid a new patty on it. The manager observed the whole thing, and almost died stifling a laugh at how calmly we handled the insane assistant manager.
Old 08 March 2007, 10:24 AM

I used to work there a long time ago, and from what I remember they freeze the overcooked hamburgers, and when it comes time to use them for chili they boil them seperately before adding them to the batch.
Old 08 March 2007, 10:54 AM

Icon23

Is there a hierarchy of the big burger chains in the US? I mean, is MacDonald's just as good as Wendys? Is White Castle better than Arbys etc or are they all the same and it's down to personal pref? A good burger is actually very hard to find in the UK, one of the reasons i'd love to start a franchise of my own here, y'know, if anybody wants to spot me a few hundred grand

On the subjecy of chili I would imagine Wendys tastes like burger meat in chili sauce doesn't it?
Old 08 March 2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
A good burger is actually very hard to find in the UK, one of the reasons i'd love to start a franchise of my own here, y'know, if anybody wants to spot me a few hundred grand
What, go into direct competition with Wimpey?
Old 08 March 2007, 11:18 AM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
What, go into direct competition with Wimpey?

Small beans - I wanna take on the true giants of British fast food

Old 08 March 2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I was expecting to scroll down and see the Little Chef logo there.
Old 08 March 2007, 11:33 AM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
I was expecting to scroll down and see the Little Chef logo there.
Pssht! That's fine cuisine, I could never aspire to raise my limited cookery talents to compete with the mighty Little Thief
Old 08 March 2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I'll hear nothing against my wonderful employers.

ETA: And I wouldn't call the Horse fast food - all meals are cooked to order and served fresh!

P.S. Can I have a pay rise?
Old 08 March 2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Is there a hierarchy of the big burger chains in the US? I mean, is MacDonald's just as good as Wendys? Is White Castle better than Arbys etc or are they all the same and it's down to personal pref? A good burger is actually very hard to find in the UK, one of the reasons i'd love to start a franchise of my own here, y'know, if anybody wants to spot me a few hundred grand

On the subjecy of chili I would imagine Wendys tastes like burger meat in chili sauce doesn't it?
That's purely a matter of opinion, as to which is best, but they all are rather distinctly different. I could tell you with blindfold on, easily, whos food I was eating.

Mine is that of the Big Three, Wendy's is the best. (I think they have the freshest ingredients.) McDonalds and Burger King are both utterly disgusting IMO - McD's tastes like plastic and that nasty so called flame broiled stuff in BK gives me the most horrible heartburn.

Of the smaller chains - we don't have White Castle out west where I live, and all the others, such as Hardees or Whataburger, I've been to a few times but just don't bother as I don't like them as well as Wendy's or Sonic. (Sonic is actually my favorite of all of them...tastes so old fashioned. And the onion rings...and a real vanilla Dr. Pepper or cherry limeade...mmm)

Every Dairy Queen I ever went into was FILTHY and their portions are stingey.

Arby's doesn't even sell hamburgers, at least not here - it sells sliced roast beef and other stuff. It's okay. I think their prices are too high for what they are, so I don't go there.

Last edited by snapdragonfly; 08 March 2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08 March 2007, 02:05 PM

I think that Wendy's certainly tastes the freashest. The hamburgers taste close to a burger you might make at home. The lettuce and tomatoe are usually quite freash and the french fries actually taste of potatos.
Old 08 March 2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
McDonald's has more restaurants, but IMO Wendy's burger's are better. They seem "fresher," too; I think they are made to order, so the service might be a little slower.

White Castle, is,... well, it's an "acquired taste," as they say. One that I have acquired, btw; but I think you need to be weaned onto them. But if you have a craving for them nothing else will do. They are definitely a much smaller (although older) chain than the other two. Most of them are in the northeast and midwest, particularly in "rust belt" cities. Traditionally, the restaurants used to have an older, "urban," feel about them, with stainless steel counters, but that is changing as they are trying to broaden their base. You might think of them as a place to satisfy your urge to eat greasy fast food late at night after bar-hopping (they are open 24 hr, at least they used to be).

Quote:
I've never tried it, so I can't comment. But if I wanted to open a fast-food restaurant that served burgers and chili I would open a Steak n' Shake, which is another regional chain, but more like a hybrid between fast-food and a diner (it has sit-down service, with proper plates and cutlery, instead of cardboard and paper). Their chili seems closer to Cincinnati-style to me rather than Tex-Mex, so whether you like it depends on our taste. But their milk-shakes are to die for.

Nick
Old 08 March 2007, 02:17 PM

Glasses

Quote:

1) The burger chains you mentioned are regional, except for McDonalds. White Castle is eastern/middle North United States, Wendy's (based in Columbus, Ohio) is slightly more distributed, but East Coast mostly and Arby's isn't a hamburger specific chain. White Castle is my preference and addiction. However, they do not sell franchises. Wendy's hamburgers seem less processed than McDonalds in my opinion, and taste better. I have mine with mayonnaise, pickles, and onions. You have to insist on NO CHEESE a couple times though.

2) Wendy's Chili does taste like burger meat in a chili base, with beans. It's good. Add some cheese and croutons if they will give them to you. 1 large chili and 1 Caesar side salad = great lunch.

I would respectfully disagree with snapdragonfly about Dairy Queen. But order the foot long hot dog with sauce, not the hamburger.

Morning
suddenly hungry, but can only have soup today

Last edited by Morning; 08 March 2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: fixed a link
Old 08 March 2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
1) The burger chains you mentioned are regional, except for McDonalds. White Castle is eastern/middle North United States, Wendy's (based in Columbus, Ohio) is slightly more distributed, but East Coast mostly and Arby's isn't a hamburger specific chain. White Castle is my preference and addiction. However, they do not sell franchises. Wendy's hamburgers seem less processed than McDonalds in my opinion, and taste better. I have mine with mayonnaise, pickles, and onions. You have to insist on NO CHEESE a couple times though.

2) Wendy's Chili does taste like burger meat in a chili base, with beans. It's good. Add some cheese and croutons if they will give them to you. 1 large chili and 1 Caesar side salad = great lunch.

I would respectfully disagree with snapdragonfly about Dairy Queen. But order the foot long hot dog with sauce, not the hamburger.

Morning
suddenly hungry, but can only have soup today
Morning, I can't find a map of all the Wendy's in the country on their sitemap, but I live in the west (not west coast, but Texas to New Mexico) and have yet to see a town without a Wendy's - it's the third largest burger chain and I think it's fairly well distributed everywhere. Can't say for sure without the a map, though.

As to Dairy Queens - it's entirely possible there's a clean one out there somewhere. I stopped looking in the early 90's, though.
Old 08 March 2007, 02:50 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragonfly View Post
Morning, I can't find a map of all the Wendy's in the country on their sitemap, but I live in the west (not west coast, but Texas to New Mexico) and have yet to see a town without a Wendy's - it's the third largest burger chain and I think it's fairly well distributed everywhere. Can't say for sure without the a map, though.

As to Dairy Queens - it's entirely possible there's a clean one out there somewhere. I stopped looking in the early 90's, though.
I tried to find a map too, but was unable and forced to rely on my increasingly aging and unreliable memory! Thank you for correcting my mistaken belief. Since I've really never travelled much west of here, bar a couple trips to Vegas (and with those all you can eat buffets, why go out for a burger?), I never had my belief challenged.

This Wikipedia
article about Wendy's informs me that the restaurant is international. [/begin Ohio accent]Wow, that Ohio girl sure did good! [/end Ohio accent] I guess I'm just remembering that when I was younger, right after the founding in 1969, there weren't so many.

But the burgers ARE better than McDonalds, imho

Morning
If you come to my town, I'll buy you a Dairy Queen footlong from a clean DQ.
Old 08 March 2007, 03:03 PM

Wendy's appears to market itself as a "premium" product. They also don't try to compete on price - their food is more expensive and they live with that. For example - here in Canada you *never* get coupons for Wendy's. Without fail, every January I get coupons in the mail for McD's, Subway, Quizno's, and a few other chains. These are good offers - free burger or sub with purchase of equal (or better) and a drink. And they come out in January right when everyone is tight on cash but just made a New Years' resolution to lose weight. The temptation to eat cheap, especially when on a diet, may be too much to resist. But Wendy's doesn't compete like that.

Wendy's also advertises that the drive-thru is open late, and that its full menu is available until closing, and that they have more selection. You can choose your "side dish" for any sandwich combo - salad, fries, chili, baked potato - and the "exotic" menu items (chili, baked potato, a variety of salads) are also clearly aimed at adults.

FWIW, I have seen Wendy's restaurants in Venezuela and Peru, Subway in Tanzania, and McD's, Burger King, Pizza Hut and Subway all over the world.
Old 08 March 2007, 03:11 PM

Actually, the Wendy's combo meals here are cheaper than most of the Burger King meals. Also, their 99 cent value menu includes a bacon cheesburger with lettuce and tomato (BK's regular, more expensive bacon cheeseburger only has ketchup & mustard on it) and a chicken sandwich among its other offerings. I've never gotten a Wendy's sandwich with lettuce wilted by several minutes under a heat lamp. I used to work at a Burger King, and for a long time preferred their offerings, but it seems that they have fallen a good bit in quality in recent years.
Old 08 March 2007, 03:14 PM
Doug4.7

Soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragonfly View Post
Whataburger...Sonic. (Sonic is actually my favorite of all of them...tastes so old fashioned. And the onion rings...and a real vanilla Dr. Pepper or cherry limeade...mmm)...Dairy Queen...
I've always loved Whataburger, and now that we have some in my area, I will actually drive an hour to get to one. For local burgers, Sonic & Dairy Queen are best, but they can be inconsistent from place to place.