snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 27 April 2009, 03:38 AM

Icon97 Babies born in May are heavier

Comment: Could you please find out it children born in may are general 200
grams heavier then other months
Old 27 April 2009, 09:10 AM

Huh, the heaviest of my 5 babies was born in May. If there is any causation at all, I wonder if it's because of heavy holiday eating around the 3-4 month mark when a lot of nausea has dissipated.

That assumes there is a direct link between mom's weight gain and baby's weight - which there isn't. Her diet certainly can affect baby's growth (for better & worse), but the bigger impact would be on baby's health.

The CDC reports on premature & low birth weight babies, but I don't think they report on average weights. I don't think hospitals are required to keep stats (or at least make them available) on birth weights the same way they are for interventions, but that information should be available through the Bureau of Vital Statistics. I'm off to do some checking...
Old 27 April 2009, 09:26 AM

This study of birthweight distribution in Tanzania found decreased weight for babies born in the rainy season.

This one from 2005 says in the abstract:
Quote:
birth weight displayed clear annual periodicity. Birth weight differed significantly when compared by month and season. Infants born in October were the heaviest (3484 g), while May-born infants were the lightest (3459 g; P=0.001).
NB, I can't access the full length articles, but the second article contradicts the claim in the OP: May babies were lighter. MInd you, I don't know which hemisphere the OP is referring to!
Old 27 April 2009, 09:37 AM

I also found:

The association between birth weight, season of birth and latitude (Annals of Human Biology, Volume 32, Issue 5 September 2005 , pages 547 - 559)

Quote:
Results: Each of the four regions had prominent annual periodicity with the peak birth weight occurring in spring. The amplitude of this signal ranged from 1.4 g (Victoria) to 7.7 g (southeast Queensland). There was no significant correlation between the amplitude of these fluctuations and the latitude of four regions. In addition, a second smaller autumn peak was identified.