snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 27 April 2009, 04:25 AM

Roll eyes Girl Scouts fund Planned Parenthood

Comment: I want to check out a rumor that I heard about the Girl Scouts. I
recently heard, which I hadn't heard before, that part of the proceeds
from the girl scout cookies go to the organization of "Planned
Parenthood". No where on their website does it mention it, but then
again, that is a controversial issue that they wouldn't post if true.
Old 27 April 2009, 04:38 AM

And doesn't that just make you want to toss your cookies?

Seriously, I strongly doubt it. Both the BSA and the GSA soak up pretty much all the money that they receive. Both also are involved in teaching youth about health matters, including sexual health. I know the BSA teaches about contraception, STDs and disease avoidance, and masturbation, so I would expect the GSA to be talk about those topics and abortion as well. But I would be very surprised if there was any more involvement with Planned Parenthood than maybe assistance in setting up GSA education programs about sexual-related matters.
Old 27 April 2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
No where on their website does it mention it, but then
I've heard they also funnel money towards Al Qaeda. But they don't ever talk about it because, well, you know, bad for the old image and all .
Old 27 April 2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
No where on their website does it mention it, but then
In my experience, very few individuals or organizations on either side of the abortion issue are known for an unwillingness deal with the controversy.

Nonny
Old 27 April 2009, 05:38 PM

Isn't GSA a 501(c)3 organization, and thus required to complete some sort of financial reporting? It seems they'd have to go to a lot of trouble to hide contributions to any organization.

Also, GSA openly holds controversial positions (on sexuality education, on theism) that have led some conservative Xtians have to found alternative groups.
Old 27 April 2009, 05:57 PM

The current annual report on the GSUSA website is for 2007, but it does include that years financial report. I do not know when financial reports are generally published.

juniper
Old 27 April 2009, 07:51 PM

Riiiiiight. The Girl Scouts are so swamped with cash from the cookie racket, that they have lots to spare. That's why all the uniform are free, the camps are free, and the leaders get those huge salaries.
Old 27 April 2009, 08:19 PM

Besides, if it were true, I think they would advertise it, as it could be a selling point among some people. I've been leery of buying Girl Scout cookies of late because so few of them are vegan, and the local troops never seem to carry the three or so varieties that are. But I'd buy them anyway and give them to my omnivore friends if it supported PP. (Yeah, I know I can still donate, and I do, but writing checks isn't nearly as much fun as buying cookies, even for other people.)
Old 27 April 2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Besides, if it were true, I think they would advertise it, as it could be a selling point among some people.
"Your cookie purchase helped in assisting a Brownie in acquiring her very first late term abortion! Congratulations and thanks for caring!"
Old 27 April 2009, 08:48 PM

Surely supporting Planned Parenthood would mean less Girl Scouts in the future?
Old 27 April 2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Besides, if it were true, I think they would advertise it, as it could be a selling point among some people. I've been leery of buying Girl Scout cookies of late because so few of them are vegan, and the local troops never seem to carry the three or so varieties that are. But I'd buy them anyway and give them to my omnivore friends if it supported PP. (Yeah, I know I can still donate, and I do, but writing checks isn't nearly as much fun as buying cookies, even for other people.)
Wait, there are some GS cookies that are vegan? I got really excited until I looked up which ones are and they're 2 kinds I've never even heard of.

But yeah, I agree, if I knew GS cookies supported PP I'd buy Thin Mints for my friends and enjoy them vicariously.
Old 27 April 2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra_silvertongue View Post
Wait, there are some GS cookies that are vegan? I got really excited until I looked up which ones are and they're 2 kinds I've never even heard of.

But yeah, I agree, if I knew GS cookies supported PP I'd buy Thin Mints for my friends and enjoy them vicariously.
As I recall, there are two different companies that manufacture the cookies, and while the most popular varieties (such as Thin Mints) are made by both, only one company makes the handful of cookies that are vegan. If your local troop gets its cookies from the other company, you probably won't see them. The company that makes the vegan varieties is ABC; I just looked it up again, and they are: Thanks-a-Lot, Daisy Go Rounds, Lemonades, and Peanut Butter Patties. You can look up the ingredients for those here. The Peanut Butter Patties look really good, but again, I've never been able to find them.
Old 27 April 2009, 09:42 PM

Part of the confusion is that all Girl Scout cookies are kosher dairy. That doesn't mean that they have actual dairy products in them, just that the ovens, or the packaging machines, or something, are all in common, so a cookie that has nothing dairy as an ingredient, is safe for someone with lactose intolerance, and will qualify as vegan by most standards, is a "dairy" product in a Jewish house. But keep in mind that ice from the dairy fridge is "dairy" ice.

Note, too, that fish are not considered meat or dairy, and therefore can be mixed with dairy items (chicken is meat, and can't be mixed with dairy), so something that is kosher dairy could still have a fish product in it, so you still have to read the label. Some idiot yogurt brand I used to buy now has fish gelatin. [insert barf smiley when we get one]
Old 27 April 2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
As I recall, there are two different companies that manufacture the cookies, and while the most popular varieties (such as Thin Mints) are made by both, only one company makes the handful of cookies that are vegan. If your local troop gets its cookies from the other company, you probably won't see them. The company that makes the vegan varieties is ABC; I just looked it up again, and they are: Thanks-a-Lot, Daisy Go Rounds, Lemonades, and Peanut Butter Patties. You can look up the ingredients for those here. The Peanut Butter Patties look really good, but again, I've never been able to find them.
Hm, the first site I got when I googled was an old vegblog post with out of date info, so those varieties weren't even listed (returning to the site I see that someone posted them in the comments section). I wish I knew some Girl Scouts so I could find out if they carry these ones.
Old 27 April 2009, 10:31 PM

Whatever bakery our local counsol uses had milk in every recipe. It was in the ingredients not just in the "may have touched" part of the label. DD who is allergic to milk did not get any. (More for Mom!)

My joke for this thread seems lame now that I've whined about allergies once again.

A Thin Mint between the knees does not work for birth control.
Old 27 April 2009, 10:50 PM

I think the rumor comes from this 2004 story:

Quote:
Some families are boycotting Thin Mints and Do-Si-Dos and other Girl Scout cookies. Troop 7527 is down to just two members after the other girls were withdrawn by their parents. And Brownie Troop 7087 is no more.
Why are folks in this conservative Texas town where President Bush has his ranch so mad at the Girl Scout organization?

Planned Parenthood and sex education.

Basically, some troops used Planned Parenthood's sex education program and some conservative radio hosts got mad and started a boycott of Girl Scout Cookies. The thought was no cookie sales means no funds for the troops, so no tiny bit of residual funds going to Planned Parenthood by way of paying for the education program.
Old 27 April 2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
I think the rumor comes from this 2004 story:

Basically, some troops used Planned Parenthood's sex education program and some conservative radio hosts got mad and started a boycott of Girl Scout Cookies. The thought was no cookie sales means no funds for the troops, so no tiny bit of residual funds going to Planned Parenthood by way of paying for the education program.
I am feeling so frustrated today that Planned Parenthood, the place that I go every year to be screened for cancer, is the object of so much scorn by some groups of people.
Old 28 April 2009, 01:35 AM

Soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra_silvertongue View Post
I am feeling so frustrated today that Planned Parenthood, the place that I go every year to be screened for cancer, is the object of so much scorn by some groups of people.
Me too. I got my IUD there because my insurance doesn't cover birth control of any form, nor does it cover office visits in which only birth control is discussed (the insurance is through a Catholic hospital). My local PP doesn't perform abortions but they still get picketed. Stupid. I am so glad they are around or else I would not be able to afford my birth control of choice. I can't use the pill b/c of the hormones so it's extra important to me to be able to have the IUD.

Anyway, I use irritation like this as a reminder to write to my state and U.S. representatives/senators or to make a donation to Planned Parenthood (or both. Call them up and they'll usually be able to tell you what kind of letters they want aimed where, like if there's a specific bill being considered or something).
Old 28 April 2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
A Thin Mint between the knees does not work for birth control.
Of course it doesn't, it needs to be inserted as a barrier (and don't forget the (spermicidal) cream)
Old 28 April 2009, 02:48 AM

That would be the Tagalongs right? I always get them confused.