snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 05 March 2007, 02:36 AM

Icon24 Coke and pork video

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/porkworm.asp
Old 05 March 2007, 02:44 AM
Morrs_Raven

Why would pouring coke on the pork make the worms come out when throwing them on a searing hot griddle or boiling them would not?

And were they moving? It just looked like little bits of fat or pieces of pork to me.
Old 05 March 2007, 06:41 AM

Maybe a reaction between the acidic liquid and the liquid in the meat tissue?
Old 05 March 2007, 06:43 AM

They don't look like worms to me, either. You see the guy has to point them out, and they don't even move when he does. They look more like pieces of fat than worms to me.
Old 05 March 2007, 06:46 AM

And even if there indeed were worms coming out, how do we know that the pork is fresh? Put a piece of meat (pork or otherwise) outside a couple of days in the summer and there will be worms (or, more correctly, grubs) in it.
Old 05 March 2007, 12:46 PM
PrometheusX303

It's on Metacafe. It MUST be true!

One of the comments says
Quote:
Those aren't freaking worms or maggots or whatever. What you're seeing is denatured protein (think cheese, but made with soluble pork protein instead of casein). When an acid comes in contact with certain types of protein (i.e. those with an appropriate isoelectric point, pI), their tertiary structure is disrupted, causing the protein to unfold, which results in intermolecular association by hydrophobic interactions. This is what happens when milk spoils (bacteria in the milk convert lactose to lactic acid, causing a pH drop, and bringing milk proteins out of solution - observed as chunks).
I can't say it's true, but I have marinaded pork many times before grilling, and nothing was ever drawn out.
Old 05 March 2007, 01:20 PM

The time lapse makes the whole thing look suspicous to me. Maybe if they showed a worm working it's way out, even if it took two minutes, I'd be more impresssed.
Old 05 March 2007, 04:06 PM
thefallacy

I think I've been reading too much NFBSK fanfic, because I expected something totally different from a "coke" and "pork" video.

I'll get it.
Old 05 March 2007, 09:02 PM

Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
And even if there indeed were worms coming out, how do we know that the pork is fresh? Put a piece of meat (pork or otherwise) outside a couple of days in the summer and there will be worms (or, more correctly, grubs) in it.
Or, more correctly, maggots. Grubs are beetle larvae.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheusX303 View Post
I can't say it's true, but I have marinaded pork many times before grilling, and nothing was ever drawn out.
Cooking the worms only causes them to stay lodged where they were. You need the carbonation only coke provides to foist them from their hiding spots!

Mmmmm....extra protein!
Old 05 March 2007, 10:45 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

I've seen this quite often in the ULRP mailbox recently. So I made pork for dinner tonight.

Four Kitties
Old 05 March 2007, 11:25 PM

Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrs_Raven View Post
Why would pouring coke on the pork make the worms come out when throwing them on a searing hot griddle or boiling them would not?
That's twice today I have quoted the wrong post. *sigh* I meant to quote Morrs_Raven instead of PrometheusX303 in my post above.
Old 06 March 2007, 07:05 AM

They didn't mention an important step. First you pour Coke on it, of course, but you also have to stop recording, put little white things that may or may not be worms on the steak, start recording again now that said white things are there, and finally insert a "2 minutes later..." message in between the two clips.
Old 06 March 2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Billion View Post
They didn't mention an important step. First you pour Coke on it, of course, but you also have to stop recording, put little white things that may or may not be worms on the steak, start recording again now that said white things are there, and finally insert a "2 minutes later..." message in between the two clips.
Not necessary, because "Coke Adds Life"

Last edited by Eddylizard; 06 March 2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06 March 2007, 09:51 AM
PrometheusX303

Adds new meaning to "Bite the wax tadpole"

I searched Google for pour coke on pork. The top hit was this page from UNH's Muslim Students Association. Mixed in with the plethora of postings of the same video and accompanying text are recipes for coke-marinated pork dishes!

And this page adds the "fact" to the list of coke uses.
Old 07 March 2007, 01:46 AM

I have actually cooked pork chops in cola, (Pepsi actually) and I have never seen anything like worms come out of the pork chops!
Old 07 March 2007, 02:13 AM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrasda View Post
I have actually cooked pork chops in cola, (Pepsi actually) and I have never seen anything like worms come out of the pork chops!
Old 07 March 2007, 03:04 AM
mindiloohoo

My grandfather was a pig farmer and my mom makes very good "CocaCola Pork Chops". If pork + coke = worms, I would have heard about it by now. So I'm saying that this video is showing something completely different.
Old 07 March 2007, 04:08 AM
PrometheusX303

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I'm convinced.
Old 08 March 2007, 07:31 PM

Did you notice they never show the label on the bottle? I'll bet it's Dr. Pepper or something other than Coke. Very suspicious.

Also the worms look like grains of rice to me.
Old 09 March 2007, 12:22 PM
SsnakeBite

I doubt what we see in this video is maggots. During the video, I was wondering why they didn' t zoom to show a close up f the "maggots." From what I see, it could very well be rice...

And anyway, where would the maggos come from ? From the outside and they make their way into the house, climb the table and get to the pork just because it' s covered wuth Coke ? Or from inside the pork, and in that case I don' t see what adding coke changes...