snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 05 April 2009, 04:34 AM

Icon23 Asparagus vs. Cancer

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/asparagus.asp
Old 05 April 2009, 03:42 PM

Huh, I'd never heard that about asparagus. Broccoli, I'd heard, had some chemical component that actually boots carcinogens out of cells (don't remember what that chemical component is or if its effects are true or exaggerated), and that blueberries are also ridiculously high in antioxidants.

And what I've heard of antioxidants is not that they cure cancer, but that they keep cells from degrading (or oxidizing), which can prevent cancer from taking hold... because I guess cancer either can only invade or else has a much easier time invading compromised cells.
Old 09 April 2009, 05:33 PM

I posted several months ago in he vibes thread about a friend of the family that has pancreatic cancer. She had decided to forgo traditional treatment saying she was too old for chemo, she had a hard time when she had breast cancer 20 years ago and she wasn't about to go through that again it just wasn't worth it, to her. She did adjust her diet though, no flour or wheat products, no sugar, she could use molasses or honey for a sweetener, but no sugar, only free range poultry or beef , and plenty of fish. I know anecdote does not equal data but her cancer is gone, her liver enzymes are back to normal, no tumors showing up on MRIs , her bloodwork is normal. Gone. I took the kids to visit with her yesterday and got more details of the diet before I posted this, because my mom wasn't sure what all the diet entailed. She looks fantastic. Who knows, my mom used to work for an "old school" doctor that said that 80 % of all illnesses are between the ears meaning that willpower (not the word I'm searching for) can do amazing things.
Old 09 April 2009, 08:16 PM

Mmmm asparagus! I bought a load of it cut-price recently and have eaten it several nights running (this evening it was asparagus bhajis). Regardless of what it does to my cells, it sure makes my pee smell funny ... which is a bit of a shock first thing in the morning when you're still a bit bleary and you wonder what that odd smell is

Purple tomatoes are another claimed anti-cancer superfood. Shortly after scientist produced GM purple tomatoes and touted their health benefits, Tesco started selling naturally occurring purple tomatoes at ridiculous prices.
Old 09 April 2009, 08:31 PM
KKHB

I love asparagus. I could easily eat it every meal. And I have a family history of cancer as long as my arm, so I am convinced that I will likely end up with cancer too at some point. Maybe my love of asparagus will save me from some of it.
Old 10 April 2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Mmmm asparagus! I bought a load of it cut-price recently and have eaten it several nights running (this evening it was asparagus bhajis). Regardless of what it does to my cells, it sure makes my pee smell funny ... which is a bit of a shock first thing in the morning when you're still a bit bleary and you wonder what that odd smell is
I love asparagus. DD hates it, and hates the way it smells -- going in and coming out. We share a bathroom.