snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 27 March 2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Have they ever articulated an answer to the question, "what difference does it make?"
I can articulate what difference it makes. These are not my beliefs, but I have asked this question before of a certain person and the answers I received were along the lines of:

knowing his faith shows them how they should pray for him
(eg: if he isn't of the same faith, they can pray for salvation and direction)

knowing his faith proves to them he isn't going to make decisions against his faith
(eg: no real Christian would ever be pro-abortion)

knowing his faith shows them he can be trusted with the things this person holds dear
(eg: no real Christian shares differences of opinion and thus, they hold dear the same things that the President would. If he says he's Christian, then by-golly, that means he believes in the exact same things she does).

None of these makes sense, I agree. The words used are not words I agree with (pro-abortion?). But those are the "articulated" differences it makes what faith the President is.

(her words)
By him being "Muslim", this means he vehemently dislikes us and will end up killing us all....You just watch, it's coming...
Old 18 June 2010, 05:15 PM

Icon27 Reports say Obama admitted he's a Muslim

Since before he was elected, controversy has stirred over the extent of President Obama's ties to Islam. During the campaign, he spoke openly of both his Muslim upbringing and his adult conversion to Christianity. But now two major Middle East media outlets -- Nile TV International and Israel Today Magazine -- are reporting that the president has admitted in recent months that he is a Muslim.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/De...spx?id=1053338
Old 18 June 2010, 05:17 PM

Icon27

Quote:
But now two major Middle East media outlets
Actually, only one seems to have reported that. The second is just quoting the first, so it's not really reporting it, only that someone else reported it. And the TV report seems to be an unverifiable claim, at best.
Old 18 June 2010, 05:42 PM

Ponder

Quote:
this most recent comment by Obama has been ignored by the mainstream media
Can't imagine why ...

Quote:
"[In] this latest report...Foreign Prime Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit on Nile Television ... said that, in confidence, Obama told him that he was a Muslim," says Geller, "and that after he straightened out domestic issues would show the Muslim world how to handle Israel."
And Mr. Gheit couldn't possibly have a motive for exaggerating or making up something like that.
Old 18 June 2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
During the campaign, he spoke openly of both his Muslim upbringing and his adult conversion to Christianity.
Did he really speak of a "Muslim upbringing"? Did he really have one? I'm pretty sure his mom was not religious at all. His stepfather registered the kids in school as Muslim, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Old 18 June 2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman977 View Post
Exactly. The last time I checked we had freedom of religion in the U S. Which means any religion. Some of these nut jobs must forget about that part of the constitution. I of course have fun reminding them of this.
I think at least some part of this is intended to impart distrust in him - kinda like "why would he lie about his religion, what else is he lying about?" all in a feeble attempt to say that he shouldn't be president.
Old 18 June 2010, 06:40 PM

Gosh, this is almost as scandalous as when JFK admitted he was really from Berlin!
Old 19 June 2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Did he really speak of a "Muslim upbringing"? Did he really have one? I'm pretty sure his mom was not religious at all. His stepfather registered the kids in school as Muslim, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
In The Audacity of Hope, he said his mother was not religious, and that his father had been raised a Muslim, but had become an atheist by the time his parents were married.
Old 28 September 2010, 05:53 PM

Roll eyes

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/ramadan.asp
Old 29 September 2010, 08:20 PM

Icon215 Obama says he became a Christian by choice

President Obama said that he is a "Christian by choice" and that his decision was influenced by gospel teachings about salvation and the importance of loving one another.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1010757.story
Old 16 July 2011, 01:18 AM

Roll eyes

Comment: You have stated that Obama is NOT a Muslim. How do you know?
Because he says he is a Christian does not make it so.
Old 16 July 2011, 01:23 AM

Does the same standard apply to Rick Perry, Michelle Bachmann, et al.?
Old 16 July 2011, 01:21 PM

Personally I judge a Christian by what they say and what they do. By that measure President Obama's support of Healthcare for the poor versus the Republican would-be candidates opposition makes it obvious to me who is a Christian.

Love your neighbor as yourself. .[Matthew 22:39]
So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you.
[Matthew 7:12.]
If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.
[Matthew 19:21]
Old 16 July 2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
By that measure President Obama's support of Healthcare for the poor versus the Republican would-be candidates opposition makes it obvious to me who is a Christian.
If the criteria for being a Christian is following the best-documented teachings of Jesus, both Democrats and Republicans, in government, are so many light years away that saying one side or the other is more Jesus-like is little more than an act of faith. Yes, Jesus was strongly in favor of individuals giving to the poor. But he was also against borrowing and lending money, so it is quite a stretch to say he would be for a government borrowing money to give to the poor.

See Burton Mack's translation, especially that in bold, as those parts are most likely to actually come from Jesus:

Quote:
When another said, "Let me first go and bury my father," Jesus said, "Leave the dead to bury their dead."

Yet another said, "I will follow you, sir, but first let me say goodbye to my family."

Jesus said to him, "No one who puts his hand on the plow and then looks back is fit for the kingdom of God." . . .

"Whoever does not hate his father and mother will not be able to learn from me.
Whoever does not hate his son and daughter cannot belong to my school."
This isn't Democratic. And it isn't Republican. It comes from a wildly different set of priorities.