snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 15 March 2009, 08:31 AM
Altered Statesman

Icon104 Ghost Rider Exposed

I was looking at motorsport videos and youtube and I came across this, it sounded very UL'ish.

Quote:
The identity of an infamous motorcyclist Ghost Rider has been exposed after a recent court case in Australia.
Ghost Rider himself is a bit UL'ish, kind of like an evil version of The Stig, and has his own videos out. The expose' in the youtube vid has everything, SAS troops, mysterious quotes and a dodgy computer voiceover guy too.
Old 16 March 2009, 01:53 PM

Australia? This was in Sweden last year.
Old 17 March 2009, 02:49 AM
Altered Statesman

Thats what I thought. I've done a quick search and haven't found anything about a man named Oliver, arrested by Queensland SAS, with a cache of high performance motor vehicles. I honestly though Ghost Rider was dead because of the nature of his work and it was a while between videos for him. I also heard he got arrested in Europe last year, I heard it as Germany, not Sweden but you are probably right (being from Sweden and not the other side of the world ).

There are a few vids of him being arrested on the net but they are in another language so I don't understand them. There are probably a few GR's, like there are Stigs, so it's hard to tell what's legit and what isn't when it comes to him. I'd love to get a hold of the keys to his stable of cars and bikes.

Damn Nick Cage and he's crappy Ghostrider movie, it's harder to search for the one I want now.
Old 17 March 2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I also heard he got arrested in Europe last year, I heard it as Germany, not Sweden but you are probably right (being from Sweden and not the other side of the world ).
He got arrested, but the police didn't realize who they got, so they let him off with a warning without checking his identity. The whole thing was videotaped.

He is Swedish, though, and though his identity is not public, it's only a semi-secret in motor circles. It's no one famous, though, so the name wouldn't be useful. He is much more known by his moniker. It wouldn't even be much interesting to de-mask him, it would be like turning Superman into Clark Kent, turning a larger than life person into an ordinary person. Ghostrider, much like many Mexican wrestlers, is his mask.

What makes Ghostrider stand out from the crowd of street racers is the planned nature of his stunts. He plans the route ahead, with camera crews with professional equipment placed along it, then gets the police to chase him along the planned route, usually after doing some stunt like riding in front of a police car, turn around on his bike, flip them off, turn around again, make a wheelie (usually, this is all done at high speed, in excess of 150 km/h) and then accelerate away. Though he could easily outrun them, he doesn't until he has driven the planned route. His audacity also shows in one video, where he does a chase riding a police bike.

I'm not condoning his actions in any way, but I must say that I feel a certain admiration for the level of commitment and the balls of that guy (the last part is not meant to be read literally).

A very confused wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_R...cycle_stuntman)
His official site: http://www.ghostridermovie.net/
His first video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...11827800320245
Old 17 March 2009, 08:16 AM
Altered Statesman

I was introduced to his vids about 7 years ago I think and hope his idenity is kept a secret for the sake of the legend. Like you, I don't condone his actions, but man they take balls and come off well on video too. I haven't seen much that tops it in terms of 'wowness'. I was suprised I hadn't come across the vid in the OP before or maybe I had and thought it was BS so I didn't bother watching it or didn't want to find out about Santa .

There is a similar legend from Aust which is what the dude in the OP may be playing off, where, the legend goes, a guy stole a car from the motorshow, either a Lotus or a WRX STi and taunted the cops for weeks until he got caught. I've heard different people repeat it using both of those cars and Melbourne, the Gold Coast and Brisbane used as locations with different outcomes for the guy so I'm thinking bollocks, but it could have happened once I suppose, Ghost Rider did it for so long so who knows?

Anyhow, I'm off to watch some more racing vids.

Cheers
Altered Statesman
Old 17 March 2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
I'm not condoning his actions in any way, but I must say that I feel a certain admiration for the level of commitment and the balls of that guy (the last part is not meant to be read literally).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Statesman View Post
I was introduced to his vids about 7 years ago I think and hope his idenity is kept a secret for the sake of the legend. Like you, I don't condone his actions, but man they take balls and come off well on video too. I haven't seen much that tops it in terms of 'wowness'. I was suprised I hadn't come across the vid in the OP before or maybe I had and thought it was BS so I didn't bother watching it or didn't want to find out about Santa .

I've often wondered if he is a cop - especially after the "Ghost Rider Goes Undercover" DVD.

I have to admit to admiring him too. A remarkable rider.
Old 17 March 2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I've often wondered if he is a cop - especially after the "Ghost Rider Goes Undercover" DVD.
I don't think so. Actually, it wasn't a real cop bike, it was a bike painted and pimped out like one. Basically, he went in at the police academy, parked his bike, went out, started the camera and went in and got his bike again. No one would notice a person in uniform parking a cop bike there.