snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 31 December 2006, 02:06 AM

Icon27 Dinosaur conspiracy

Comment: Dear Sirs: I wonder if you have been asked to analyze or review
reports about there still being live dinosaurs in the world. I am an
amateur cryptozoologist, and a creationist, and so I believe that the
world is only 10,000 years old, not billions, and accordingly, dinosaurs
did not live that long ago, and some may still be alive.

The web site genesispark provides various examples of recent sightings of
various dinosaurs around the world. I myself met a man in Ottawa Ontario
where I live who claims he was posted to a remote location in Papua New
Guinea with a US aid organization and while hiking down to the coast saw a
live "apparent" Triceratops cross his path. I am trying desperately to
relocate this man because of the significance of what he claims he saw.
He was not a "creationist".

Missionaries have been reporting sightings of live Pteradactyls and
Pterasaurs in Papua New Guinea for some time now, but sadly with no
pictures. But as I say to people, if you can't believe that a Christian
Missionary is telling the truth, then who can you believe?

There are also many alleged sightings of live Sauropods by the pygmies in
a 10 million hectare inhospitable swamp bordering the Congo and Cameroon.

Anyways, this is the stuff of Urban Legends, except that it has not
reached that status. Or has it? Is it possible that this subject is so
contentious that you may know about these stories but not post them for
fear of angering the evolutionists, who positively hate creationists?
Old 31 December 2006, 02:12 AM

10000? Heretic! Everyone knows the world is only 25 years old and that everything that "came before" is a figment created for my benefit.
Old 31 December 2006, 02:18 AM

Wow - he must be a pretty important amateur cryptozoologist if it's his job to relocate the people who have seen live dinosaurs. I didn't realize there was a Witness Protection Program for "apparent" dinosaur spotters. That is so cool! Do you think they give them a new identity too?

Quote:
But as I say to people, if you can't believe that a Christian
snerk. snort. giggle. ROTFLMAO!!
Old 31 December 2006, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Is it possible that this subject is so contentious that you may know about these stories but not post them for fear of angering the evolutionists, who positively hate creationists?
Yeah, snopes! Stop drowning in your flood-sized fear of the Nazi-Nerds. Can't you see that this anonymous do-gooder is throwing you a dinosaur tail? A 10,000 year-old lifeline. Wait...have the evolutionists bought your wicked silence with corn chips?
Old 31 December 2006, 02:29 AM

We used to get dinosaurs in our chimney, but I put a cap on it. There was a dinosaur on TV when I was younger. I remember her singing "See the U-S-A in a Chevrolet." I once unwisely ate a heavy meal before going on a roller coaster, and on the first drop you should have seen my dinner soar.

I go lie down now.
Old 31 December 2006, 03:07 AM
Blackhawk

I saw dinosaurs once, then I got scared and turned the TV off PBS while also vowing never to eat the mushrooms your neighbor offers to make you feel better.
Old 31 December 2006, 12:28 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
But as I say to people, if you can't believe that a Christian
This guy sounds like a con artist's dream. "I'm a missionary and...."
Old 31 December 2006, 03:07 PM

The genesispark website is most entertaining - check out how the bible is scientifically accurate.

Quote:
* Ezekiel 5:5, 38:12 claims that Jerusalem is the center of the earth. ICR commissioned a computer analysis of the earth’s land-masses and discovered that the geographic center is in Palestine, near the holy city.

*Psalm 103:12 The Psalmist seeks to describe how far away God has removed the sins of those who have been forgiven. Interestingly, one can go west or east forever, unlike north and south.

* Hebrews 1:11-12 describes the wearing down of the creation in language that nicely mirrors the second law of thermodynamics and II Peter 3:12 describes the heavens one day passing away in a fire that causes the elements to melt in fervent heat (a pretty accurate description of nuclear meltdown).

* Ecclesiastes 1:4-7 describes the whirling motion of the winds and the movement of storm fronts long before the advent of modern meteorology.
Old 31 December 2006, 04:16 PM
Lady Neeva

When I was 7 I was convinced I saw a pterodactyl on my babysitter's farm sitting on the fence.

This was shortly before I was hospitalized with a virus infection and a very high fever lol.

But if it were somehow possible to replay a person's memories on a TV, it would look like a real event -- basically, I have a crystal clear memory of actually having seen such a thing, even though I know it was really a fever induced hallucination.

And then on the opposite side of things... I'm still trying to convince my one younger sister that there really IS such a creature as a 13 Lined Ground Squirrel lol... despite having grown up around them, she swears up and down that they were chipmunks.

In other words... the triceratops guy may very well have "seen" a triceratops as far as his memory goes, but in actuality he was probably drunk, stoned, fevered, had a brain tumor, or something else along those lines.
Old 31 December 2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Neeva View Post
And then on the opposite side of things... I'm still trying to convince my one younger sister that there really IS such a creature as a 13 Lined Ground Squirrel lol... despite having grown up around them, she swears up and down that they were chipmunks.

Ground squirrel makes very poor hamburgers, by the way. They just crumble to pieces, and they taste like acorns.
Old 31 December 2006, 05:22 PM
Barns & No Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Ground squirrel makes very poor hamburgers, by the way.
I thought you were going to say the reason is because they always buy the cheapest ground beef they can find.
Old 31 December 2006, 05:25 PM

Crash

Quote:
We used to get dinosaurs in our chimney, but I put a cap on it. There was a dinosaur on TV when I was younger. I remember her singing "See the U-S-A in a Chevrolet." I once unwisely ate a heavy meal before going on a roller coaster, and on the first drop you should have seen my dinner soar.

I go lie down now.

My head hurts, Brad. Is the first one a pun or not?

Sometimes you make me so dizzy...
Old 31 December 2006, 06:47 PM

Spit Take

Quote:
Ground squirrel makes very poor hamburgers, by the way.
Owww! You made me snort hot chocolate! At least it missed the keyboard and got my shirt and pants instead.
Old 31 December 2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
My head hurts, Brad. Is the first one a pun or not?

Sometimes you make me so dizzy...
First one's not a pun, but a fact: we had families of chimney swifts nesting up there. Chimney swifts are birds; birds are descendants of dinosaurs. Unlike Barney, they do not love you--they really mess up the chimney, and occasionally they issue forth from the fireplace and scare the dickens out of the chilluns. Chimney swifts have a mean reptilian look on 'em--huge (for their teeny body size) mouths, cold glaring eyes, and a determination to eat you.
Old 31 December 2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
First one's not a pun, but a fact: we had families of chimney swifts nesting up there. Chimney swifts are birds; birds are descendants of dinosaurs. Unlike Barney, they do not love you--they really mess up the chimney, and occasionally they issue forth from the fireplace and scare the dickens out of the chilluns. Chimney swifts have a mean reptilian look on 'em--huge (for their teeny body size) mouths, cold glaring eyes, and a determination to eat you.
Thanks. I can stop taking the dramamine now.

Mom has chimney swifts that come down to the fireplace glass and yell at us. When Jes was two, she could hear the babies in the chimney making their crazy baby bird racket, and she was sore afraid. We told her it was just the baby birds crying "mommy-ommy-ommy", but she still wouldn't go in the room with the fireplace.
Old 31 December 2006, 09:44 PM

I thought part of the creationist creed was that God was never wrong and as dinosaurs (or any prehistoric animal) would be a mistake as it was extinct, then it would not have existed in the first place.
Also as a counter to his main argument (if they were around 10 000 years ago they would still be around) there have been many species destroyed by the action of mankind you should be able to find Dodos and Passenger Pigeons around every corner.

Incidently concerning fossils does anyone remember Strata by Terry Pratchett
Old 01 January 2007, 06:44 PM
Victoria J

Devil I'm missing the controversy here

Finding one species or a hundred species of dinosaur still alive wouldn't disprove evolution anyway. There are plenty of creatures still alive which predate dinosaurs (jellyfish I think, from the top of my head, are largely unchanged and predate the dinosaurs).

Even if you found all species of dinosaurs alive and well that wouldn't actually disprove evolution. (And even if you could prove to me right now that some dinosaurs still existed I still would put the chances of the really big ones still being out there at 0).

Unless you could show that everything alive now was alive in the past you aren't really challenging evolution. An imperfect fossil record makes that pretty near impossible even if it was true.

So the next best way would be to attack the evidence of change in species (and to concentrate on "missing link" scenarios), and this is what most evolutionists seem to do. Very badly. It is precisely this area that has shown evolution to be a strong theory - repeatedly predicting future finds etc.

Showing that some random species survived from millions of years ago would have no impact on the scientific arguments whatsoever.

I guess finding dinosaurs would be an attack on some science. If people have been seeing them and being dismissed, and evidence later found, then that would be an attack on scientific neutrality. And finding bigger dinosaurs might knock out theories on ecosystems etc.

The best I can think of is that some anti-evolutionary Christians might believe that finding dinosaurs alive and well would support a young earth theory. But as evolution already excepts species with great ages so that is only going to convince the already convinced.

I'd be very surprised if anyone found a dinosaur, but I'd also be thrilled. And my scientific world view would not be damaged in anyway.

Victoria J
Old 01 January 2007, 07:26 PM

Shifty Eyes

Remind me not to visit Papua New Guinea...just in case.
Old 01 January 2007, 07:27 PM
Victoria J

I guess while I would be thrilled if someone found a dinosaur I might be less thrilled if a dinosaur found me...

Victoria J
Old 03 January 2007, 04:14 AM

Fright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria J View Post
I guess while I would be thrilled if someone found a dinosaur I might be less thrilled if a dinosaur found me...

Victoria J
My thinking exactly!