snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 03 March 2009, 12:36 AM

Vanishing Investigators say ghost at university

Paranormal investigators said they encountered what appeared to be the spirit of a young child at Pennsylvania's Slippery Rock University.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/03/...5721236034198/
Old 03 March 2009, 12:49 AM

Internet message board frequenter says bollocks to that claim.

Quote:
"Michael Peters, the medium who was with us for the investigation, did some channeling and reported having some personal experiences with the spirit of a little girl,"
I can't say I approve, but I admire his honesty.

Really though, mediums (Derek Acorah, anyone?) are constantly making these claims. It's not news.
Old 03 March 2009, 01:12 AM
KKHB

Quote:
"That really didn't surprise us because we've had reports of people hearing voices and conversations involving a little girl."
I wonder if the Medium knew about this tidbit before he "channeled and had personal experiences" with the "spirit" in question.
Old 03 March 2009, 01:26 AM

Australia

So a group of people strongly inclined to believe in the paranormal get together, tell each other ghost stories and convince themselves they've 'talked' with ghosts. Then they go, at night, into a big ol' building and jump at their own and each others shadows before they exiting flushed with success at having had a paranormal experience but having found nothing that would actually translate as evidence.

This is then reported as news.

I see.

Next week in UPI.com

12 Year old Girl Experiences Close Encounter with 'Bloody Mary'

"OMG!!11! it wuz soooo real!!1" the un-named victim texted to our investigative reporter.

Dropbear
Old 03 March 2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
12 Year old Girl Experiences Close Encounter with 'Bloody Mary'
12 year old girls shouldn't be drinking hard liquor.
Old 03 March 2009, 04:32 PM

Is there a single college out there without a ghost these days? The fairly small college (now a university) I went to had at least two (well, one 'defined' one and the other were just varied spirits).

One was supposidly the ghost of a little girl who fell down an elevator shaft during the construction of one of the ten story dorms who still haunts the basement of said dorm. The other are "the ghosts of dead babies who were aborted" (did I mention I went to school in the south?). One of the buildings of the school used to be a hospital many, many years ago (in the civil war in fact) so thats there that specific one, and other random dead person/soldier ones common to old hospitals spring from.

I know at least one student/friend who claimed she saw a ghost and I'm sure there were plenty of others.

So yea, haunted college, not ranking high on my "Wow" meter.

-MB
Old 03 March 2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
The other are "the ghosts of dead babies who were aborted" (did I mention I went to school in the south?).
Fetal ghosts have got to be the least-scary ghost I can imagine. What are they going to do? Be quarter-sized and silent at me? Probably wouldn't even notice 'em.
Old 03 March 2009, 05:14 PM

I don't think UT has any college ghosts. When you've got Charles Whitman in the past, you don't really need them.
Old 03 March 2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy from strangers View Post
Fetal ghosts have got to be the least-scary ghost I can imagine. What are they going to do? Be quarter-sized and silent at me? Probably wouldn't even notice 'em.
Don't you know? All aborted babies are the size of fully formed term babies except ravaged by the evils of abortion.

I've got a poorly xeroxed pamphlet you should read...

-MB
Old 03 March 2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I don't think UT has any college ghosts. When you've got Charles Whitman in the past, you don't really need them.
You are however, ghost adjacent.
Old 03 March 2009, 05:26 PM

Apparently we gots 'em: http://www.prairieghosts.com/osughosts.html

I've been to SRU; nary a ghostly chuckle (though a fine medieval supper and hilarious performance of Johan Johan was had by all).
Old 03 March 2009, 05:51 PM

Vanishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
So a group of people strongly inclined to believe in the paranormal get together, tell each other ghost stories and convince themselves they've 'talked' with ghosts. Then they go, at night, into a big ol' building and jump at their own and each others shadows before they exiting flushed with success at having had a paranormal experience but having found nothing that would actually translate as evidence.
But still ... can you prove it wasn't a ghost?
Old 03 March 2009, 09:09 PM

I went to St. John's College in York which is now York St. John University. We shared, with the Treasurer's House, one of the world's best authenticated ghosts. The History Department was housed in Gray's Court, part of the Treasurer's House, and dates back to the twelfth century. There were tutorial rooms in what was the cellar, right next to where Harry Martindale saw ghosts marching into Gray's Court.

Quote:
An apprentice plumber, was working alone, was installing a new central heating system in the cellars of the Treasurer's House. But on this day, he was in the basement room. He was suddenly startled by the sound of a horn nearby. He thought little of it after a few moments and so returned his attention back to his work. A short while later he heard the sound again. This time it was much closer, seemingly in the cellar itself. The young man looked up, and as he did so he saw something rather unexpected.
Read the full story here.

Harry was also a member of the church I went to and whilst I was in York he did not talk about the ghost too much. He was then a policeman and so may have been a bit embarrassed.
Old 04 March 2009, 12:21 AM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
12 year old girls shouldn't be drinking hard liquor.
At least those spirits actually exist...
Old 04 March 2009, 03:52 PM
Boomer

I go to the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, and I can verify that the Washington Avenue Bridge (bridge connecting East and West Bank campuses) is in some way haunted. This I found out not long ago when I woke up at about 4:30am in preperation for work (at 6am), I was on the bridge at about 5:40am walking to work, when I saw a man walking towards me on the bridge. He was the only other person on it with me. As I got closer to where the man was, he vanished before my eyes, and where I stood suddenly became very cold. After that, I bolted out of their and got to my job. 3 or 4 other times, I've had similar experiences, though i haven't seen the man again, I have been walking on the bridge, heard distinct footsteps that were not my own, nor an echo of my own. I turned around, heard the footsteps continue, but saw nothing, as I heard them get closer, I started to walk faster. I still heard them following, this time when I stopped to look though, the footsteps stopped.

Out of curiosity, I looked it up, and i'm not the only person to experience these things, many people have jumped off teh bridge to commit suicide in the past, including a famous poet/professor, and apparently it is well known that the bridge is indeed haunted (though i never knew that until after I had these creepy experiences)
Old 05 March 2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
"Michael Peters, the medium who was with us for the investigation, did some channeling and reported having some personal experiences with the spirit of a little girl," Lewis said. "That really didn't surprise us because we've had reports of people hearing voices and conversations involving a little girl."

OMG!!!! I.. It...It's ALMA!!!! RUN!!!Eleven!!!

Old 06 March 2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Don't you know? All aborted babies are the size of fully formed term babies except ravaged by the evils of abortion.
They should make a video game about ghost hunters who go around banishing the spirits of aborted babies using a special camera, and call it Fetal Frame!
Old 06 March 2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I go to the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, and I can verify that the Washington Avenue Bridge (bridge connecting East and West Bank campuses) is in some way haunted.
Sorry, but I don't think that an odd experience can really be said to "verify" a haunting. To consider haunting actually verified I think some kind of evidence is required.
Old 06 March 2009, 09:23 PM
Agent 99

Sweet! ASU has one on our extended campus.

http://theshadowlands.net/places/arizona.htm

ETA: Down in the Tucson section are the ghost of U of A.

Last edited by Agent 99; 06 March 2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Add U of A reference
Old 06 March 2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy from strangers View Post
Sorry, but I don't think that an odd experience can really be said to "verify" a haunting. To consider haunting actually verified I think some kind of evidence is required.
Exactly. For every one weird experience (which almost cannot be independently verified by others - how do you quantify a weird experience), there are a dozen more experiences where absolutely nothing happens.

I had a friend who swore that his college house was haunted. I had the opportunity to spend a couple of nights there on several different occasions and despite them swearing of a haunting, i neither saw, hear, nor felt anything that I would consider unusual. Personal experiences tend to be weak forms of evidence simply because we are too biased and too subject to manipulation externally - plus they lack any sort of a control whatsoever.