snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 31 December 2006, 09:40 PM
RainyDaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklygirl View Post
When I was a kid all the old timers told us it was good for when you had a belly ache
I grew up in the Ozarks and never heard of using pickle juice to cure stomach aches. On the other hand I never heard that pickle juice could kill you either.
Old 01 January 2007, 01:22 AM
Lydia Oh Lydia

When I was a kid, I would drink the pickle juice. It sounds kind of gross now.
Old 01 January 2007, 01:30 AM

I use pickle juice in tuna salad, especially the juice from bread and butter pickles. Yum!
Old 01 January 2007, 01:34 AM
sparklygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDaze View Post
I grew up in the Ozarks and never heard of using pickle juice to cure stomach aches. On the other hand I never heard that pickle juice could kill you either.
Old wives tales were everyday occurances in our family when I was growing up so maybe I just heard more than my share. Although friends at school said the same about pickle juice. I don't know it to be an Ozarks saying, but wondered if it was since I never heard it anywhere else.
sparklygirl
Old 01 January 2007, 04:21 AM

I always drink the pickle juice. I go for the 'zesty' kind, for some extra kick. As far as I can tell, I'm not dead yet.
Old 01 January 2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
I have a friend who craves pickle juice. She buys the jars of pickles just for the juice.

And yes, she's still alive.
My sil craves pickles and olives. She eats the pickles or olives, then drinks the juice from the jar. She's been doing this as long as I can remember. Last time I was over there, my brother was bringing a partial jar of olives to her. She motioned to me with the jar and said "I was craving salt." *Blech* *ptui*
Old 02 January 2007, 07:15 PM
wild1

They sale it as a sports drink here. Endorsed by one of the Dallas Cowboys no less!

http://www.goldenpicklejuice.com/
Old 05 January 2007, 11:55 PM
PattiBell

Since it is primarily vinegar and salt, that would be the consideration.
I can eat a little of a pickle, but I cannot drink the juice. My stomach DOES NOT like vinegar ANYTHING. But I don't think it is deadly.
Old 06 January 2007, 12:33 AM

Its the vinegar that really makes it overpowering. Vinegar is one of those things that tastes like it should be unhealthy, but really its not. You're not going to get lethal doses of salt from it. All the acid might give you mild indigestion or something, but your digestive system is used to a little acid.
Old 06 January 2007, 03:10 AM

yeah, I can attest to the fact that drinking pickle juice won't kill you. my little sister has some odd habits (including eating 2 cans of family-size chicken noodle soup in one sitting on a regular basis), and one of her favorite things is drinking large jars of pickle juice. she doesn't always eat the pickles either, sometimes she'll take all of them out of the jar and pour herself glass after glass.
Old 06 January 2007, 02:13 PM
Wolfs Bane

I love to drink pickel juice as does my hubby and we're still around

WB
Old 06 January 2007, 03:59 PM

I use pickle juice when making salad dressings (i.e. the vinegar juice since some so-called pickles are in brine). I love the juice that comes with some types of marinated herrings.
Old 07 January 2007, 05:29 PM
bl76km81

Default captain pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: This rumor is not new to me; it's actually something I have always heard since I was a child. People have always told me that drinking pickle juice would kill you. The amount of pickle juice it would take varied but usully it was understood that some poor kid probably ate the last pickle, drank the juice remaining in the jar, then keeled over.
One night while out drinking a friend was telling me about a drink called "Captain Pickle" a shot of pickle juice and a shot of Captain Morgan Rum, she said it was good. When I was a kid, my brother would dare me to drink all kinds of nasty concotions. I figured this was the same thing.

But no, this was actually good.

On the other hand, I was out another time, with a lot of friends, including both my daughters and sil's. Someone bought me a shot of "The 3 wisemen", the 3 wisemen went down and the 12 apostles came back up...LOL
Old 07 January 2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
I use pickle juice in tuna salad, especially the juice from bread and butter pickles. Yum!
That sounds tasty.

When I make potato salad, after the potatoes are cooked and cubed but before I make the salad, I marinate the potatoes in a mixture of dill pickle juice and just a bit of sugar. I do that instead of adding vinegar and sugar to the mayonnaise. It give the potatoes flavor all the way through and is really delicious.
Old 07 January 2007, 06:34 PM

Icon401

^^ That is so nobody can see who I am.

I have been resisting the urge to post this, but I can't help it any longer.

Pickle juice is indeed deadly.

My mother loved to drink it, and she's dead. As a doornail.
Old 07 January 2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signora Del Drago View Post

You forgot something, dear.

(extra fish needed to fulfill minimum post character requirements, of course...)
Old 07 January 2007, 10:55 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signora Del Drago View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragonfly View Post
You forgot something, dear.

(extra fish needed to fulfill minimum post character requirements, of course...)
Whoops! So, I did. Thanks for providing the fish.

And lest anyone be wondering, my Mother would have laughed her (_!_) off at that. We have (or did have) the same weird sense of humor.
Old 07 January 2007, 11:17 PM

Theme Icon

It's possible to overdose on Vitamin C from pickle juice (although that might be only from home-made type, not sure if any commercial brands have that much vitamin c in it, a vitamin C overdose is not much to worry about, merely causing the runs, or diarrhea for more severe ODs.)

At 3 ppm, the fluoride in (one example of Dill) pickle juice is more than is to be added to water supplies, (usually around 0.7-1.5 ppm) however standards allow up to 4 ppm before its considered a contamination problem.

So i would imagine that you shouldn't drink pickle juice if you're taking fluoride supplements, or vice versa (as the supplements are not to be taken if your water supply has 0.7 ppm or more).
Old 07 January 2007, 11:54 PM

What's the difference between the runs and diarrhea?

Anyway, about the pickle juice. My aunt, who was on dialysis for years before getting a kidney transplant, says that a lot of people liked to drink pickle juice before undergoing dialysis.
Old 08 January 2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
What's the difference between the runs and diarrhea?
The runs would jsut be poop that has too much water content in it. (Although often considered a type of diarrhea, if it's not cholera)

Diarrhea (In this case, and in more of a medical sense) would be poop with alot of mucous, or mixed with digested food that the intestines refused to absorb, i.e. it would be discoloured.

Also according to the Bristol Stool Chart, the runs might be associated with type 6 and 7, whereas diarrhea is types 5-6

Although hopefully your doctor would ask you about the colour anyway and make knowing the difference irrelevant, "runny stool" "runny discoloured stool" might make the difference in a diagnosis. (many things can cause one but not the other)