snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Religion

Old 19 January 2009, 03:28 AM
Altered Statesman

Devil The 27 Characteristics of the Anti-Christ

Hey, not sure were to post this or it may have been posted before, but here they are from...

http://www.eadshome.com/antichrist.htm

The 27 Characteristics of the AntiChrist

1. He comes from among ten kings in the restored Roman Empire; his authority will have similarities to the ancient Babylonians, Persians, and Greeks [Daniel 7:24; Rev 13:2 / Daniel 7:7]

2. He will subdue three kings [Daniel 7:8, 24]

3. He is different from the other kings [Daniel 7:24]

4. He will rise from obscurity…a “little horn” [Daniel 7:8]

5. He will speak boastfully [Daniel 7:8; Rev 13:5]

6. He will blaspheme God, [Daniel 7:25; 11:36; Rev 13:5] slandering His Name, dwelling place, and departed Christians and Old Testament saints [Rev 13:6]

7. He will oppress the saints and be successful for 3 ½ years [Daniel 7:25; Rev 13:7]

8. He will try to change the calendar, perhaps to define a new era, related to himself [Daniel 7:25]

9. He will try to change the laws, perhaps to gain an advantage for his new kingdom and era
[Dan 7:25]

10. He will not be succeeded by another earthly ruler, but by Christ [Daniel 7:26-27]

11. He will confirm a covenant with “many”, i.e. the Jewish people [Daniel 9:27]
This covenant will likely involve the establishment of a Jewish Temple in Jerusalem
[see Dan 9:27; Matt 24:15]

12. He will put an end to Jewish sacrifice and offerings after 3 ½ years and will set up an abomination to God in the Temple [Daniel 9:27, Matthew 24:15]

13. He will not answer to a higher earthly authority; “He will do as he pleases”[Daniel 11:36]

14. He will show no regard for the religion of his ancestors [Daniel 11:37]

15. He will not believe in any god at all [except for himself] [Daniel 11:37]

16. He will have "no regard for the desire of women": He will either be asexual or homosexual
[Dan 11:37]

17. He will claim to be greater than any god [Daniel 11:37; 2 Thess 2:4]

18. He will claim to be God [2 Thessalonians 2:4]

19. He will only honor a “god” of the military. His whole focus and attention will be on his military. He will conquer lands and distribute them [Daniel 11:39-44]

20. His arrival on the world scene will be accompanied by miracles, signs and wonders [2 Thess 2:9]

21. Either he, or his companion [The False Prophet], will claim to be Christ [Matt 24:21-28]

22. He will claim that Jesus did not come in the flesh, or that Jesus did not rise bodily from the grave
[2 John 7]. He will deny that Jesus is the Messiah [I John 2:22]

23. He will be worshipped by many people [Rev. 13:8]

24. He will hate a nation that initially will have some control over his kingdom, but he will destroy this nation [Rev 17:16-18]

25. He will appear to survive a fatal injury [Rev. 13:3; 17:8]

26. His name will be related to the number six hundred and sixty six—but not necessarily in an obvious fashion [Rev 13:17-18].

27. He will be empowered by the devil himself [Rev. 13:2]
Old 19 January 2009, 03:30 AM

Or if you prefer, the shortened list:

1. He sings in Colplay
2. He is a tool.
Old 19 January 2009, 03:34 AM

You forgot number 28.

28. Will be named Barack Hussein Obama.
Old 19 January 2009, 03:58 AM
Altered Statesman

damn, I knew it. Espesically when he's name is 666.

Barack (6 letters) Hussei (6 letters) nObama (6 letters)

they did say it wouldn't be obvious

it could've also been Bush

19. He will only honor a “god” of the military. His whole focus and attention will be on his military. He will conquer lands and distribute them [Daniel 11:39-44]
Old 19 January 2009, 04:02 AM
Altered Statesman

Can anyone out there find anyone who fits every critereon (is that the right word, i never remember if criteria is plural)?
Old 19 January 2009, 04:54 AM

I assume by Kings, we have to include presidents and prime ministers. Otherwise I'm not sure there ten actual kings in the whole world.

Is the restored Roman Empire going to be the same geographically speaking as the original, or are Italy planning a massive expansionist policy. If not that's going to narrow it down a bit.
Basically European Middle Eastern and North African heads of state.

Quote:
23. He will be worshipped by many people [Rev. 13:8]
Well that rules out Gordon Brown for a start.
Old 19 January 2009, 05:02 AM
Altered Statesman

I think we should go for the 'sun never sets on the Roman empire' thing. Just so we can include everywhere
Old 19 January 2009, 09:50 AM

How on earth can you simultaneously not believe in God, think you are better than any god and think that you are god? And claim Jesus didn't exist but also claim that you or your companion are Jesus?
Old 19 January 2009, 10:03 AM
redspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
You forgot number 28.

Yeah I was scrolling through it waiting for the proof that Obama is the antichrist.

Can someone please write one? That list just seems like a preferred experience list for a civil servant job listing.
Old 19 January 2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
You forgot number 28.

You get that over there too?
My SIL said to me recently, that she'll be watching him closely for this very same reasoning.

With regard to
Quote:
9. He will try to change the laws, perhaps to gain an advantage for his new kingdom and era
I suppose this makes virtually all new leaders, anti-Christs.
Old 19 January 2009, 01:34 PM

Hmm... I thought the Antichrist was only really ever mentioned by John the Evangelist (not to be confused with the John who wrote Revelations, where the word Antichrist is never used)? Aparently some people take a broader view, so here's the "Antichrist" according to Daniel.
Old 19 January 2009, 02:33 PM

I thought Daniel's version referred to Nebuchadnesser?

The bible mentions "antichrist", small "a", and there are more than one. (anybody who isn't a Christian is basically an "antichrist"). The ruler in Revelation isn't called the Antichrist, but using the capital "A" would work.
Old 19 January 2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
How on earth can you simultaneously not believe in God, think you are better than any god and think that you are god? And claim Jesus didn't exist but also claim that you or your companion are Jesus?
It didn't say he didn't think Jesus existed, just that he wasn't the Messiah or the Christ. He will claim to be the actual Christ.
Old 19 January 2009, 07:21 PM

Neener, Neener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Statesman View Post
8. He will try to change the calendar, perhaps to define a new era, related to himself [Daniel 7:25]
This could have been the dictator of Turkmenistan, who renamed the months and the days of the week after himself and his family. Except that he died a couple years ago.

If anybody ever pulls the type of effort made in the French Revolution to redefine the calendar, or the type made in that one episode of the Simpsons where the geniuses took over and made time and dates metric, they'll catch flak from people waving Daniel 7:25.
Old 19 January 2009, 07:40 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Statesman View Post
Can anyone out there find anyone who fits every critereon
Ricky Henderson, I think.
Old 19 January 2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joostik View Post
Hmm... I thought the Antichrist was only really ever mentioned by John the Evangelist (not to be confused with the John who wrote Revelations, where the word Antichrist is never used)?
Or John the Disciple...
Old 19 January 2009, 08:22 PM

29. He is best-friends with my mother in law.
Old 19 January 2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
29. He is best-friends with my mother in law.
So your mother in law knows my father in law?

Photo "my MIL is Ok but my FIL is the Antichrist" Bob
Old 19 January 2009, 09:25 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambubba View Post
I thought Daniel's version referred to Nebuchadnesser? . . .
The way I've been taught to understand it, while Daniel is ostensibly referring to the Babylonian captivity, the book was actually written during the Macabbean revolt, and thus the references are to Greek tyranny. The famous statue describes the rise and breaking of Alexander's empire nicely enough.

The various nastiness in The Revelation seem pretty obviously to refer to the Roman Empire -- having just trashed the Temple and expelled the Jews is bad enough, but refusing to make a clear distinction between Jews and Christians, now that's trouble!

(I went to college with a guy who took Daniel so literally, he refused to believe that there was a modern city of Tyre!)

Silas
Old 19 January 2009, 10:44 PM

Gotcha. I'm a little vague, been a while. But Revelation and the Roman Empire do match up, mostly. Puts us somewhere in the middle of it, I guess.

I'm convinced we have been in the "last days" since Jesus was crucified. Your mileage may vary, but I'm pretty sure you won't make sense out of Revelation.

That is, credible sense. There's plenty of "incredible". Until Christians start getting locked up worldwide, I don't think there's much that really applies specifically to today. We're about as far from a one world government as... well, the Romans actually had a pretty good start; we haven't matched their scope.