snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 14 January 2009, 05:27 AM

Deer Calico buck

http://www.snopes.com/photos/hunting/calicobuck.asp
Old 14 January 2009, 06:00 AM

And sadly the tendency to get the oddities as trophies means the genes for piebaldism die out. I'd call it piebald (bi-colour) rather than calico - calico is tri-colour.
Old 14 January 2009, 06:03 AM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
I'd call it piebald (bi-colour) rather than calico - calico is tri-colour.
Only in some specialized senses. In general, "calico" simply means "having sections or patches colored differently."
Old 14 January 2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
And sadly the tendency to get the oddities as trophies means the genes for piebaldism die out.
Not necessarily. The weird-looking prey stands out to natural predators, too. I'd expect individuals with distinguishing characteristics like youth, age, sickness, or abnormality to stand out to all hunters--human and animal. That process is a natural one that's been in effect for millions of years, yet the genes for calico-ism are still around.

Of course, humans are a very unusual type of hunter, so maybe we will eventually accidentally wipe out the calico genes among North American deer. But that's the least of our concerns about human-caused extinction.
Old 14 January 2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Billion View Post
Of course, humans are a very unusual type of hunter, so maybe we will eventually accidentally wipe out the calico genes among North American deer. But that's the least of our concerns about human-caused extinction.
We've managed to wipe out the woolly cheetah because it was unusal and therefore a sought after trophy. The white tiger would have gone the same way if not for the final one being spared the gun and captured and bred as a curiosity instead.

While predators are attracted to poorly camouflaged prey, the prey still has the advantage of natural defences such as flight or attack (and it also depends on how much the different colouration makes it stand out - this also depends on the prey's lifestyle). Against humans and guns those defences don't work and we end up selectively culling the unusual ones as trophies far more effectively than natural predators, especially as we can kill at long range and not have to chase down or ambush the prey.

As for whether the piebald gene dies out depends very much on whether it is dominant or recessive. Recessives can be carried masked by normal colour animals and provided there are enough breeding carriers in the gene pool there is a change it will re-emerge (though that didn't happen in white tigers as all the carriers appear to have been wiped out). Dominant genes are even easier to wipe out.
Old 14 January 2009, 03:26 PM

He was very pretty. Shame he was killed.
Old 14 January 2009, 03:31 PM

Calico Buck made me think that this was a character name from a Roy Rogers movie.
Old 14 January 2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy from strangers View Post
He was very pretty. Shame he was killed.
Seconded. I'd much rather see photos of him out and about and still living.

BTW, that is one hefty looking deer! Calico or not, he seems to have been doin' pretty well for himself.
Old 14 January 2009, 04:03 PM

Deer

I can see why he was taken. I don't deer hunt myself, but I know guys around here that spend tens of thousands of dollars for the opportunity to shot a buck with that kind of rack.

Good thing about Cabela's buying it is that it will get fully mounted and displayed in one of their stores for everyone to see. The guy is pretty lucky because he's essentially getting paid to have his deer mounted, put on display for the world to see, and they will put a plaque with his name, the deers specs and the date it was shot. Pretty cool from a hunter's perspective.
Old 14 January 2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlplay View Post
I don't deer hunt myself, but I know guys around here that spend tens of thousands of dollars for the opportunity to shot a buck with that kind of rack.
That, to me, is f-ing stupid. Woot! I keeled it. Wit mah big GUN!

Idiots. It's one thing to hunt for meat. It's another to be a braggart about it.
Old 14 January 2009, 04:12 PM

It doesn't seem very cool to me to find something really unique and kill it. It's like announcing your loserdom to the entire world when you take pictures of yourself with the truly unique dead animal.
Old 14 January 2009, 04:16 PM

I have a few friends who are avid hunters. But if they do get the chance to kill a buck they do eat it. My friends father made sure he knew how to dress a deer, and told him do not kill an animal if you don't intend to eat it.
Old 14 January 2009, 04:18 PM

Tsk, Tsk

This isn't an appropriate thread for debating the merits of hunting.
Old 14 January 2009, 04:31 PM

Ok, sorry didn't meat to hijack. Here is more info. Apparantly it was shot in east Texas not Wisconsin. One site says he had it mounted himself and Cabela's wasn't even in the picture.

http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/12/3...exas/#more-992

http://www.texasbiggameawards.com/Bi...me%20Watch.htm