snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 30 December 2006, 08:25 AM

Icon86 Couple sue over bloody paper towel in chip bag

Sweethearts taking in a cheesy horror flick found something far harder to stomach when they pulled a blood-stained paper towel from a bag of chips they brought with them to munch on.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...ticleid=174369
Old 30 December 2006, 07:41 PM
Lara

Icon81

I once found a shredded-up bandaid in a package of shredded cheese. Why didn't I think to sue?
Old 31 December 2006, 12:32 AM
Gg83

Fright

Ew ew ewwwww! I hate stories like this; they put me off of food in general, and that doesn't work well for my state of existance.

Also, snopes, I was wondering if your avatar is related to this story.
Old 31 December 2006, 12:43 AM
Victoria J

Fright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I once found a shredded-up bandaid in a package of shredded cheese. Why didn't I think to sue?
I sometimes wonder how many people could sue but don't (and I noticed from the article that thier lawyer is suggesting that if the company had been more co-operative these people wouldn't be suing).

I think it would take quite a lot to make me sue, but I once saw something happen to someone else that would have had me considering it.

I was at the South Bank centre in London (a large collection of theatres, galleries, concert venues with a number of overpriced cafes in the building) and bought a drink at one of the cafes. As I was paying a woman came up to the person serving behind the counter to complain because a desert she had bought (in a sealed plastic bowl) was crawling with some sort of mite. I was quite shocked when the woman serving just shrugged and told her to take another, and amazed when the customer agreed (I couldn't have eaten anything similar after seeing that bowl crawling with insects).

As I finished paying the customer returned because the second bowl was also crawling with mites, and the server seemed equally uninterested.

There was no apology, no attempt to even help the customer find a replacement, no offer of a refund and most frightening of all no concern about the problem. I would have expected them to immediately check the similar foods and take anything that might be effected off the shelves - but nothing.

It makes suing for millions seem reasonable.

Victoria J
Old 02 January 2007, 10:59 AM
Danvers Carew

I once found a thick, very sharp and very dirty shard of plastic piping inside a can of octopus and wrote a letter of complaint to Sainsbury's who promptly sent me a letter of apology and 50 in vouchers. I was delighted with this. The most I've got from any shop/company before has been 6 (when I found a paint brush inside a bag of joosters).

I live in hope that one day I'll find an eyeball or a finger in a bag of crisps so that I can hit the jackpot. I love the UK's low quality control standards - it turns every snack into a lucky dip.
Old 02 January 2007, 11:47 AM
Victoria J

My mother got 20 from coca cola after a strangely thin can burst in her bag. As it didn't actually damage anything in the bag she reckoned that was pretty good, if it had got one of her bookseven slightly wet she'd probably still be suing them....

The cheque for 20 was accompanied by a very fine letter from Coca Cola making it clear they were in no way accepting liability or agreeing that the aluminium in the can was unusually thin.

Prior to that the best was 5 in vouchers for chocolate eclairs from Cadburys following a packet with a horrible mutant lumpy eclair in it. All we had wanted was a new packet.

Victoria J
Old 02 January 2007, 07:02 PM

I was eating a hamburger once, felt a sharp pain, and started choking on my food. After spitting it out, I found a rigid metal wire, like from a wire wisk. It just doesn't occur to me to sue over things like that. I would feel like I was being impolite.
Old 02 January 2007, 07:23 PM

I found most of a wasp once in a Muller fruit corner yoghourt. I took it back to Safeway. All I wanted was an apology (which I got.) The also gave me a free replacement. Thanks, since I couldn't stomach eating one of the things at that stage, or for ages afterwards.

Several weeks later I got a grovelling letter from the manufacturer, plus - yes vouchers for ten more free yoghourts which I didn't want.
Old 02 January 2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
I was eating a hamburger once, felt a sharp pain, and started choking on my food. After spitting it out, I found a rigid metal wire, like from a wire wisk. It just doesn't occur to me to sue over things like that. I would feel like I was being impolite.
You did complain, didn't you? Even if you didn't want or require any compensation, whoever served you that food clearly needed to review their food preparation procedures. A piece of wire could cause someone serious injury.
Old 02 January 2007, 08:45 PM
Doug4.7

Shifty Eyes Tour

My family & I took a tour of a Golden Flake Potato chip factory in Birmingham (AL) and it was fun. The link is that while we were on the tour, it would have not taken much to toss something into one of the bags as they were being filled.

And no, we didn't.

Well, at least I didn't. I don't know about my kids or wife....
Old 02 January 2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvers Carew View Post
I once found a thick, very sharp and very dirty shard of plastic piping inside a can of octopus...
A can of octopus? People eat octopus? And eat it out of a can?

I guess it's one of those things that makes logical sense; I just never encountered it or thought about it before.

("Can of Octopus" would be a good band name, though.)
Old 02 January 2007, 10:52 PM
turtlechick

I was eating a hamburger at Chili's once and suddenly felt the oddest, tingling/twinging, painful sensation on my tongue, like a tiny ''sizzling''. I spat out what was in my mouth and couldn't find anything.

The only thing I could attribute it to was whatever they cleaned the grill with...it felt like what I think lye must feel like.
Old 02 January 2007, 11:44 PM
Danvers Carew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
A can of octopus? People eat octopus? And eat it out of a can?

I guess it's one of those things that makes logical sense; I just never encountered it or thought about it before.

("Can of Octopus" would be a good band name, though.)
Yup, it was this very product:

See here.

As you can see, I was seduced by the image of chopped up tentacles. Mmmm...Lovecraftian.
Old 03 January 2007, 02:19 AM

I found a large leaf in a container of yoghurt once. And once when my mom made stir fry, everyone in the family found shards of glass or rocks in the food. My mom figures it came from the bean sprouts she bought at the farmers' market. The worst experience I ever had was at Dairy Queen when I found a beetle in my milk shake. I got my money back, but decided not to order another one.
Old 03 January 2007, 02:50 AM

I once found buckshot in a package of sliced ham. I got a refund and a beautiful mind picture of a pig enjoying his last days by invading a neighbor's vegetable garden.

Morning
Ye canna take me Freeeeeeeeedom!!
Old 03 January 2007, 03:52 AM

I once found the decapitated head of a bulldog in a jar of coleslaw. Actually I did not.
Old 08 January 2007, 03:35 AM
Rawley Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvers Carew View Post
I once found a thick, very sharp and very dirty shard of plastic piping inside a can of octopus and wrote a letter of complaint to Sainsbury's who promptly sent me a letter of apology and 50 in vouchers. I was delighted with this. The most I've got from any shop/company before has been 6 (when I found a paint brush inside a bag of joosters).

I live in hope that one day I'll find an eyeball or a finger in a bag of crisps so that I can hit the jackpot. I love the UK's low quality control standards - it turns every snack into a lucky dip.

I once found a screw in can of tuna fish. I dashed off a letter to Bumble Bee, then noticed my can opener was missing a screw. Luckily the postman hadn't taken it yet.
Old 08 January 2007, 05:07 AM

In a case of Coke, I found a can with nothing in it. I always wondered what you can get in a law suit for a empty can. I though of sending to back to the company, but the cost was more than what a replacment was worth.
Old 08 January 2007, 12:09 PM

I got a postal order for 2.50 from Walkers in apology for a packet of rather soggy crisps. Fine by me, although now I am of course incredibly embarrassed that I wrote to complain about a bag of crisps...

Over New Year, my mum received her regular circular as a former student of Newnham College, Cambridge, and discovered that a whole article was devoted to the "pan scrubber incident" of 1963, when students were up in arms about Brillo Pad wire in College meals. Ah, those heady days of student radicalism...

Old 08 January 2007, 12:20 PM

I once found what appeared to be an old, rolled-up piece of cellophane tape in a frozen soba noodle bowl.

To be accurate, I found it in my mouth, although it did come from the noodle bowl. Ugh.