snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 25 February 2007, 01:38 AM

Hello Kitty 200-lb. cougar

Here kitty, kitty!

Now this is one big tom and I'm presuming that it is in eastern Oregon!

200+ lb. cougar shot at Bragg Creek, Baker County.

Old 25 February 2007, 01:40 AM

I'm not too surprised, since they can range from 75 to 200 pounds. Wouldn't want it going after me, though. To say the least.

Morrigan
Old 25 February 2007, 01:47 AM

I know nothing about photoshop, but the photo with the dogs just doesn't look tight. It's like the line between the cougar and the background is too clean.
Old 25 February 2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnejanet View Post
I know nothing about photoshop, but the photo with the dogs just doesn't look tight. It's like the line between the cougar and the background is too clean.
I thought so, too. Same with the first picture. Actually, the first and third look like they could be the same picture with the man, and then man and dogs inserted behind it.
Old 25 February 2007, 02:27 AM

look at the guy in the first and last photos. slightly different and the "fog" near his head is different as well.

Taking photos in snow is really bad about getting those "too crisp" lines
Old 25 February 2007, 03:46 PM

Glasses

Forced perspective can be deceiving. As shown in this pic, Skitters is not that big yet (He's huge now but just a kitten there). It looks like his face is right next to hers and his head is about the same size but it is much closer to the camera.

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos
Old 25 February 2007, 05:51 PM
brendaal

Psychic

The two with them sitting behind the cat could be forced perspective and the one where he's holding the cat, he could be 5'2" for all we know. Not really an accurate way to gauge the size of the mountain lion.
As an aside, is hunting with hounds legal in Oregon? It isn't in Washington, I think.
Old 25 February 2007, 06:02 PM

This might be the place to start looking for answers. the pictures look similar and I think the dogs and guide are the same. However, it is not in Oregon.

Mountain Lion Hunt in British Columbia

James Powell
Old 26 February 2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribrats View Post
[LEFT]Forced perspective can be deceiving. As shown in this pic, Skitters is not that big yet (He's huge now but just a kitten there). It looks like his face is right next to hers and his head is about the same size but it is much closer to the camera.

I'm confused- is the cat laying on the kid or not? If so why would the cat's head so much closer to the camera than hers?
Old 26 February 2007, 03:13 PM
Barns & No Bull

I see no evidence of photoshopping or image manipulation. The true size of the cougar is revealed when the hunter holds it. We can't know the dimensions of the cat, but we can see it is only a bit larger than the hunter. The other shots are classic forced perspective, making the cougar appear much larger by illusion. The other subjects are not only some distance behind the cat, they are also not on the same level plane as it (relative to the photographer. The cat is on a mound of snow that increases the illusion further.
Old 28 February 2007, 10:29 AM

Question. Why do people hunt cougars? Are they a danger to locals?

I ask cause my first reaction was "aw, poor kitty".
Old 28 February 2007, 10:33 AM

Icon02

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Question. Why do people hunt cougars? Are they a danger to locals?

I ask cause my first reaction was "aw, poor kitty".

Mine too, well, I didn't use the word 'kitty' but my sentiments are the same

What's the fecking point? anybody can corner and shoot large animals with the help of a dog pack and hunting rifles - hunters should have to go after their 'prey' only if they eat/utilise the animals remains. 'Sport' hunters should still be allowed permits but no projectile weapons - see how far they get with sharp sticks
Old 28 February 2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFurg View Post
I'm confused- is the cat laying on the kid or not? If so why would the cat's head so much closer to the camera than hers?
He is actually leaning back to look at her. The heads are not side by side. His is in front of her but because of his placement you can't see that he is leaning back. So it looks like he is closer to the same size or bigger than her when in fact he is smaller. Plus his upper body isn't resting right on her completely. He is also supported by the frame of the rocker.
Old 28 February 2007, 07:01 PM

Poor cougar. What a sad sight to see such a beautiful animal shot dead for sport.
Old 28 February 2007, 08:41 PM

I feel the same as PallasAthena and Jay Tea. If the cougar wasn't threatening anybody and they weren't going to eat/use the remains, they should have left it alone.

Is it weird that I think it would be cool if there were domestic cats that size? (In theory, at least. In real life there would be some practical difficulties.)
Old 28 February 2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
Is it weird that I think it would be cool if there were domestic cats that size? (In theory, at least. In real life there would be some practical difficulties.)
Yeah. Somehow we've managed to tame the wolves, but not the tigers. I think it's the claws. I'll just have to stick with tabbies.
Old 02 March 2007, 05:47 AM

The cat looks the same, down to flecks of snow on the fur and flecks of blood on the snow, in the first and third pictures. Also, notice how the snow is piled up in front of the feet ofthe dog oon the far right. Just looks odd. IMHO
Something looks 'off' about the cat's proportions, too, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm not an expert, but my general impressions from observations at the zoo, wildlife documentaries, and so on is that mountain lions aren't that hefty in build.
Also, based on having a 200 lb animal (Old English Mastiff, not a cat!), holding the animal up like that is deceptive. DH is 5'8'', and holding Rex up like that makes him look a lot more massive than he really is.
Old 02 March 2007, 04:26 PM
Barns & No Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaD View Post
The cat looks the same, down to flecks of snow on the fur and flecks of blood on the snow, in the first and third pictures.
That's because it is a dead cougar laying on snow.

Quote:
Also, notice how the snow is piled up in front of the feet ofthe dog oon the far right. Just looks odd. IMHO
That's because snow is piled up in front of the feet of that hunting dog.

Quote:
Something looks 'off' about the cat's proportions, too, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm not an expert, but my general impressions from observations at the zoo, wildlife documentaries, and so on is that mountain lions aren't that hefty in build.
They get bigger than that one.

Quote:
Also, based on having a 200 lb animal (Old English Mastiff, not a cat!), holding the animal up like that is deceptive. DH is 5'8'', and holding Rex up like that makes him look a lot more massive than he really is.
Yeah, when they are held as in Photo 2 they get stretched out. But they are still no bigger than they actually are. That picture is the one without any forced perspective illusion. All these shots are the real deal, but two create an illusion. It is standard for photos like these to be provided with a puchased hunting package by a guide. The hunter wants a photo record of the animal after the kill (and sometimes even before). They are not much interested in having the guide (or anyone) engage in image manipulation. The forced perspective type of shots are fairly common, but they are fully legitimate.
Old 03 March 2007, 03:16 AM

Mouse

I share sentiments with some of you. My impression on seeing the first photo was, "what a beautiful animal, dead, wasted." It's bewildering to me that animal is more beautiful dead, to some people, than living. How can that be?
Old 03 March 2007, 07:34 AM
charlie23

from Boone and Crockett:
"February 18, 2007
This giant cougar was reported to have weighed 210 lbs. Going nose to nose with a giant cat like this goes to show just how brave and talented these dogs are. First reports had this photo coming from Oregon, but that seems unlikely since it's currently illegal to hunt cougar with dogs there. Further reports seem to point to Alberta."
http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/t...C-6FE2FBC68BD8