snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 23 December 2008, 03:03 AM

Dog Leopard dog?

Photoshopped, dyed fur, or real?

Old 23 December 2008, 03:45 AM

Hyaenae (is that a word??) have similar markings.

My question would be, can a hyaena and a dog mate successfully?
Old 23 December 2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post

Hyenas aren't in the same family as dogs (dogs are canids), so I'd assume not.
Old 23 December 2008, 04:03 AM
Altered Statesman

Its Spot!

[IMG]spot[/IMG]
Old 23 December 2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post

No. Dogs can produce offspring with: wolves, jackals and coyotes, but not with hyenas or foxes. (http://www.messybeast.com/genetics/hybrid-canines.htm).

Which leaves either photo-manipulation or dye. I suspect digital editing as dye takes a while to apply and there's the risk of it being licked off.
Old 23 December 2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Which leaves either photo-manipulation or dye. I suspect digital editing as dye takes a while to apply and there's the risk of it being licked off.
Does it? Dalmations prove that dogs can be spotty if they want; the genes are there. While I think this is a case of shoe polish, I am running through my mind whether it would be possible to get a coat like that, either randomly or within a couple generations of trying it (if it were going on longer, we probably would have heard of the effort to create a new breed, just like we hear about the "mini tiger" cats.)

Perhaps the snopesters who have a better grasp of dog genetics than I do (which is to say, a grasp of dog genetics) will chime in here? Would such a coat be genetically possible*, or possible to make with a few generations of breeding?

*I say possible rather than probable, because with the number of dogs worldwide, and the birthrate of dogs, just about anything that is possible is likely to come up fairly often, and most everything will come up at least once.
Old 23 December 2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
Does it? Dalmations prove that dogs can be spotty if they want; the genes are there. While I think this is a case of shoe polish, I am running through my mind whether it would be possible to get a coat like that, either randomly or within a couple generations of trying it (if it were going on longer, we probably would have heard of the effort to create a new breed, just like we hear about the "mini tiger" cats.)
However the Dalmatian pattern is quite different to the leopard pattern in the photo. Basically the aligning of the spots in cats (they look a bit like concentric circles) is related to the tabby patterns in cats (without going into huge detail, spotting in non-hybrids cats is a modification of tabby where the lines are broken up; in hybrid breeds there may be additional genes so this alignment is more randomised). The tabby pattern doesn't occur in dogs so a spotted dog breed wouldn't have that alignment of spots.

In the photo, the dog is mimicking a feline broken tabby pattern, right down to the larger "bulls eye" on the side. The alignment of spots on the head is a disruption of the "M" markings you see on cats' foreheads. Both the bulls-eye and the "M" are part of the tabby pattern. If you wanted a spotted dog with that leopard-style pattern you'd need to get the tabby alleles (classic for large markings, mackerel for small markings) into dogs and also get the pattern modifiers to break tabby up into spots. So you'd be looking for a couple of new mutations at least.
Old 23 December 2008, 08:46 AM

It's an awful lot of trouble to go to to dye a dog just for an interlaugh. Don't people have better things to do?
Old 23 December 2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
It's an awful lot of trouble to go to to dye a dog just for an interlaugh. Don't people have better things to do?
Maybe it's one of them "weird mutant-hybrid dogs" that is usually only found in the deceased state
Old 23 December 2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
Maybe it's one of them "weird mutant-hybrid dogs" that is usually only found in the deceased state
Hahaha. Dog "died", took me a while to get it. Blame sleep deprivation (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)
Old 23 December 2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Hahaha. Dog "died", took me a while to get it. Blame sleep deprivation (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)
Purely accidental I was thinking of that short-faced black dog found decomposed by a road a while back (it was a Chow-type) and the turtle/dog/raccoon corpses on the seashore.
Old 23 December 2008, 10:35 AM

It's a leopard, with the body of a dog, and the head of a dog!
Old 23 December 2008, 11:03 AM

[hijack] Anyone recall the name of that 19th/18th? Century taxidermist who uesd to stitch together bits of different animals and present them as a new species he'd discovered? [/hijack]
Old 23 December 2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
[hijack] Anyone recall the name of that 19th/18th? Century taxidermist who uesd to stitch together bits of different animals and present them as a new species he'd discovered? [/hijack]
I don't know his name, but he fooled a lot of people with that "platypus". As if that could exist...
Old 23 December 2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know who you're thinking of but a Swedish colleague of his has produced a hare/capercaillie mix, called a skvader.
Old 23 December 2008, 02:55 PM

I used to have a neighbor whose dog had black fur with light brown rings "stamped" all over his body and head. Most of the rings were in the perfect shape of a circle. It was so startling that I literally stopped my car and stared for a full minute the first time I saw him. For a long time I thought she'd dyed the dog's fur, but after about a year I realized that the dog really was born that way. I saw him regularly for about five years and the "rings" were real. Unfortunately, I never got a picture of him, but it was the most unusual coat pattern I'd ever seen.
Old 23 December 2008, 03:23 PM

It seems as if dyed dogs are quite popular in China and other East Asian countries:

Wuxi China Bengal Dog video

Bali leopard spotted dog photo

Taipei tiger dog
Old 23 December 2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneage Dinosaur View Post
It seems as if dyed dogs are quite popular in China and other East Asian countries:

Wuxi China Bengal Dog video

Bali leopard spotted dog photo

Taipei tiger dog
I remember the story (earlier this year?) about a Chinese guy who dyes his Chow to look like a panda and he got quizzed because it looked too much like a panda.

Another dyed dog here

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2256/...ac9248.jpg?v=0
Old 23 December 2008, 04:41 PM

What I wanna know is how on earth you'd get the dog to sit still long enough to complete a dye job like that.

My husband's parents have a pack of boxers on their farm in Ecuador, and what we call brindle here, they call tiger stripe.

Old 23 December 2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthena View Post
What I wanna know is how on earth you'd get the dog
Start 'em young, just like the show people do.

For a full show-ring prep on a Standard Poodle, it takes at least 4 hours per dog.

Even for the Shelties, Keeshonds, Samoyeds, and Collies I've groomed, it takes an hour and a half per dog.