snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 16 December 2008, 08:25 AM

Goldfish Piranha attack (GRUESOME)

Comment: Some friends and I are debating the veracity of this photo
gallery of an alleged piranha attack.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7573872/Piranhas

At least one of the fish isn't a piranha and the skull doesn't look right
at the eye sockets. Otherwise, it looks pretty real.

Any truth behind it?
Old 16 December 2008, 10:21 AM

The fish are not piranhas, and there is a very cool looking tracked vehicle thingy in the background (anyone recognize that?). The wounds didn't look like they were ripped by piranhas, it looked more like chemical burns/acid or something like that.

However, the pictures are gruesome. DO NOT LOOK IF YOU ARE EVEN MILDLY SQUEEMISH! I mean it!
Old 16 December 2008, 01:52 PM
Fun with a 9mm

Goldfish

I'm not sure there'd be that much left if it was really piranhas.
Old 16 December 2008, 02:49 PM

Ponder

Just looks like prop fx to me.

The image of the ferocious, shoal-attack piranha fish is mostly down to myth. They are in fact timid, omnivorous scavengers that shoal as a defensive, not offensive mechanism. Delicious, they are considered easy pickings by most Amazon basin predators, including man.

Whatever the pictures represent, there is nothing there that suggests piranha per se. Kept hungry deliberately, piranha will shoal and feed in a frenzied manner, but that would indeed most likely result in a completely stripped corpse
Old 16 December 2008, 02:53 PM

Why are the head and hands stripped clean but the rest of the body is in good condition? If it were a piranha attack, wouldn't there be bite marks elsewhere on the body?ETA: Further research: Piranha usually feed on already dead or otherwise incapacitated humans. They can cause serious injury, removing fingers and toes and leaving jagged, gaping wounds. But there are no reports of this guy by piranha. It could be he was already dead. It could be a prop. It could be something completely different. But the odds are very, very strong the person in the photos did not die from a piranha attack.

Last edited by Mama Duck; 16 December 2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 16 December 2008, 02:57 PM

I'm voting prop or the classic "real photos, inaccurate description".
Old 16 December 2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The image of the ferocious, shoal-attack piranha fish is mostly down to myth. They are in fact timid, omnivorous scavengers that shoal as a defensive, not offensive mechanism. Delicious, they are considered easy pickings by most Amazon basin predators, including man.
You obviously haven't seen the movie 'Piranha 2 - Flying Killers'. Not only are they ferocious killers, they can mutate and fly as well!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082910/

Produced by James Cameron, who describes it as "without a doubt, the finest flying piranha movie ever made", and I can't really argue with that.
Old 16 December 2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
Why are the head and hands stripped clean but the rest of the body is in good condition? If it were a piranha attack, wouldn't there be bite marks elsewhere on the body?
Not that I'm claiming that this is true, but the backstory is he smashed the window of the cab to get out, so maybe the story covers itself on that one at least by the idea that he stuck his head, part of his upper torso, and one arm out of the broken window, and was ferociously attacked and incapacitated before he could move the rest of his body out or maybe it wouldn't all fit through, thus protecting the rest of hs body.
Old 16 December 2008, 04:30 PM
Barns & No Bull

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
...he stuck his head, part of his upper torso, and one arm out of the broken window, and was ferociously attacked and incapacitated before he could move the rest of his body out or maybe it wouldn't all fit through, thus protecting the rest of hs body.
In which case he would have died from drowning, not pirahna attack.

I think it's a real corpse with a false story. He probably drowned and was scavenged by fish and turtles. I wouldn't rule out pirahnas as being the primary eaters.
Old 16 December 2008, 04:54 PM

Wolf

I've seen video of piranhas eating a cow carcass. They seemed to eat an opening and burrow their way in. Ithe skin seemed to bulge and wriggle like a bad horror movie. That might account for the intact-ness of the skin.

IMO, the edges are too level and clean and the bones appear to be picked too clean considering that his coworkers would have been working to pull him out and would hardly have waited for the fish to finish.
Old 16 December 2008, 05:04 PM

Prianhas rarely attack humans. When I was in the amazon a few years ago we fished for piranhas with kids swimming very near by. Our guide told us that they generally wouldn't attack people as they are too big.

When I was in college my roomates and I owned several large piranhas. They were 'shy' and generally wouldn't eat with people in the room. One evening I had a drunk kid come into my room thinking it was funny to mess with my fish. When he wouldn't stop I grabbed his arm and thrust his hand into the water and held it there. I never would have done that if I thought they might bite him.
Old 16 December 2008, 06:56 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
When I was in college my roomates and I owned several large piranhas. They were 'shy' and generally wouldn't eat with people in the room. One evening I had a drunk kid come into my room thinking it was funny to mess with my fish. When he wouldn't stop I grabbed his arm and thrust his hand into the water and held it there. I never would have done that if I thought they might bite him.
His reaction must have been priceless.
Old 17 December 2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barns & No Bull View Post
He probably drowned and was scavenged by fish and turtles. I wouldn't rule out pirahnas as being the primary eaters.

Does the rest of him look like it was in water for an extended period of time though? Then again perhaps turtles scavenge quicker than one might think. Or somehow his head and hands were the only parts in the water?

Hate to say it but the one shot reminded me of the aliens in the movie Mars Attacks!
Old 17 December 2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
In which case he would have died from drowning, not pirahna attack.
Does it matter how he died? It could have been drowning followd by pirhana attach, pirhana attack, or a combination of the two.

If the pretty fish are as as fast and furious as the OP and popular lore suggests and those here who know a bit about them say they aren't (and I'm more inclined to believe those who have had experience with pirhanas), then they could have ripped him apart before he had chance to drown - at least his exposed bits.

I'm not making any case for this being true, just trying to say that his being only partially eaten is not a hole in the story.
Old 17 December 2008, 05:47 AM

gruesome double post

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 17 December 2008 at 05:59 AM.
Old 17 December 2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
The fish are not piranhas...
That one on the right looks like a cat fish, which makes me wonder two things:

1. How it is that 3 decent sized fish couldn't get out of his body cavity before he was pulled from the water?

2. How long would a body have be in the water before a cat fish burrowed in it? Surely one wouldn't brave a piranha feeding frenzy.

The other things that stick out to me are that the guy's neck is crazy short, he is missing a lot of teeth, and that drop of blood is taking an awfully long time to slide down his shoulder. It's in the same position in 4 photos.
Old 17 December 2008, 05:53 AM

The teeth thing stuck out to me too. The teeth that he has are perfectly straight and white, yet he's missing most of the back teeth. Possible, but weird.

I guess it could be due to the "tunneling" aspect described above, but I can't quite reconcile the way the spine seems to go "into" the torso, rather than be the back of the torso. The spine looks disconnected from the ribs somehow.
Old 17 December 2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
1. How it is that 3 decent sized fish couldn't get out of his body cavity before he was pulled from the water?
Their natural reaction when they get scared is to hide, so chances are that they just stay put.
Old 17 December 2008, 04:21 PM
Barns & No Bull

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFurg View Post
Does the rest of him look like it was in water for an extended period of time though? Then again perhaps turtles scavenge quicker than one might think. Or somehow his head and hands were the only parts in the water?
No, it doesn't look like he's been in the water for very long at all. The body is not discolored, bloated or decomposed.

Eddylizard, it's difficult for me to imagine the scenario of him being (trapped) underwater and being incapacitated or killed by pirahnas before he drowns. If he was in the water but not trapped (swimming or treading) the attack location doesn't make sense. He would have had his head above water.

Try arguing against this scenario: A man drowns and his drowning has nothing to do with pirahnas being in the vicinity. His body sinks to the bottom and pirahnas find it and begin feeding. His body is recovered (say within 24 hours) and shows post-mortem scavenging by fish and possibly reptiles. Some fish remained inside the body cavity upon recovery.

The autopsy scene looks unusual. Is that a granite slab with no provisions for fluid containment? A random assortment of towels? No special intense lighting above the table? Is the gas company performing their own autopsy? What are we looking at here?
Old 17 December 2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
No, it doesn't look like he's been in the water for very long at all. The body is not discolored, bloated or decomposed.

Eddylizard, it's difficult for me to imagine the scenario of him being (trapped) underwater and being incapacitated or killed by pirahnas before he drowns. If he was in the water but not trapped (swimming or treading) the attack location doesn't make sense. He would have had his head above water.

Try arguing against this scenario: A man drowns and his drowning has nothing to do with pirahnas being in the vicinity. His body sinks to the bottom and pirahnas find it and begin feeding. His body is recovered (say within 24 hours) and shows post-mortem scavenging by fish and possibly reptiles. Some fish remained inside the body cavity upon recovery.

The autopsy scene looks unusual. Is that a granite slab with no provisions for fluid containment? A random assortment of towels? No special intense lighting above the table? Is the gas company performing their own autopsy? What are we looking at here?
I wasn't saying that I thought he didn't drown, just my musings on the point that the rest of his body was untouched by bites - only the bits exposed when he made an attept to get out of the window and got stuck - whether he was dead before the fish got to him is not part of that observation.

The autopsy scene is unusual - if indeed it is an autopsy. It does look like a company break room - the seating in the picture with the two guys in orange overalls apparently watching, and the fact that the person doing the cutting or stitching is wearing the same sort of overalls underneath the blue gown. I wish I could make out what was written on the front of the blue gown.

This could concievably be somewhere remote, where proper facilities for such a thing aren't avalable, and the company medic was called on for expediency. Perhaps he's just being prepared for transport out of there, which might take a while to organise.

However that could be the scrpt for a film based on this premise - someone killed- tick. Remote and isolated - tick. Improvisation - tick.