snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 09 December 2008, 08:50 PM

Default Missing child

if in a flurry of cross postings about a missing kid someone says they checked snopes and using that authority claims this is not a hoax. There is no reference to said kid anywhere in snopes land. I checked the reference pages including the What's New and the Missing Persons subsection of Crime. There is no mention of her on the message boards either.

I'm feeling kind of weird about this and wondering if it is polite to call him on it.

This missing kid story is raging around the blogs but I've not found any news stories even in the home town. The mom's page seems legit but I just hate to see snopes's name taken in vain.
Old 09 December 2008, 11:44 PM

Reporter

Is the person saying this themselves, or is it a part of the forwarded/cut-and-pasted letter? If someone is falsely telling people that they themselves have checked snopes, then you should call them on it; it's clearly a lie, and a cruel one at that. If they're simply saying, "Hey, look at this letter!", and the letter is the one citing snopes, you should probably PM them and tell them that the letter is untrue, and let them take the necessary steps. This isn't their fault, as they are only making an assumption that the letter is telling the truth; it's not a good idea (as the TROLL pages point out), but the poster isn't trying to be cruel or malicious.

Also, I once stubbed my toe and shouted, "Mikkelson!" Does that count as taking snopes' name in vain?
Old 10 December 2008, 12:05 AM

It's also possible someone checked a different UL website, and thinks "snopes" is a generic term for UL websites.

It's also possible that if nothing popped up on snopes, the forwarder assumes then that it isn't a hoax.

Did you check the kid's name to determine whether it is or is not a hoax? If it's true, it may just be that since it's technically not a UL, it either hasn't landed in snopes' inbox, or it's been tabled in favor of writing up genuine ULs until there's a slow day.

Not that the story being true makes this person's assertion less of a lie (unless it's some kind of honest mistake), but it's a little more understandable.
Old 10 December 2008, 12:15 AM

You could search the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children's database to see if there are any cases that match what the e-mail says.

Also, check the e-mail to see if it contains the information that would usually be included in a legitimate missing child alert, like the child's name, description, and where and when they went missing. That's usually one of the first things Snopes points out in his articles debunking missing child rumors.
Old 10 December 2008, 12:53 PM

I emailed the guy and he said that since he didn't find it here it must be true. He said "Snopes.com is the best site for finding out the truth" so I think he had the right place. He just lack clues. Sigh.
The girl has only been missing for 3 days. Would she show up in a national database that fast?
Old 10 December 2008, 01:01 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
I emailed the guy and he said that since he didn't find it here it must be true. He said "Snopes.com is the best site for finding out the truth" so I think he had the right place. He just lack clues.
Remind him that almost 800,000 children are reported missing each year, but very few of them end up on snopes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
The girl has only been missing for 3 days. Would she show up in a national database that fast?
NCMEC is pretty good about keeping their database current: I remember Reigh Boss' info was up there within hours her going missing. The circumstances must meet their criteria, though. The same goes for a local missing person alert: it must meet established criteria. Wouldn't hurt to check the website of the local PD, though: sometimes they will post a Be On the Lookout even if the circumstances don't warrant an official Amber Alert.

Four Kitties
Old 10 December 2008, 08:31 PM

Soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
NCMEC is pretty good about keeping their database current: I remember Reigh Boss' info was up there within hours her going missing. The circumstances must meet their criteria, though. The same goes for a local missing person alert: it must meet established criteria. Wouldn't hurt to check the website of the local PD, though: sometimes they will post a Be On the Lookout even if the circumstances don't warrant an official Amber Alert.

Four Kitties
If the case is not of a runaway teenager, it can be up in a matter of hours. Runaways seem to have a week or so delay, although there are exceptions. The database is tied to the NCIC database so cases are pulled as soon as they are removed from there.

Is there anything you remember about this missing child I could look into?

Sister "willing to dig" Ray
Old 10 December 2008, 08:54 PM

She is 17.
I hate to give this any more bandwidth but there is the original blog
http://narniarose.livejournal.com/63920.html

The discussion I mentioned above was in a different place altogether.

Last edited by Aud 1; 10 December 2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10 December 2008, 11:33 PM

Looks like she is ok.

..based on that... also looks as if there are some possible medical issues involved here as well.
Old 10 December 2008, 11:37 PM

Icon97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
almost 800,000 children are reported missing each year, but very few of them end up on snopes.
We can't take in nearly that many, so we have to put some of them up in nearby hotels.