snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 22 February 2007, 03:55 AM

Icon97 Baby born with IUD in hand

Comment: My mom claims that my aunt knows a woman that got pregnant while using an IUD as birth control and the baby was born holding the device in her hand. Is this an urban legend or could it be true?
Old 22 February 2007, 04:21 AM
Doug4.7

Devil

When I first read that, I saw "IED". They are growing those terrorists early....
Old 22 February 2007, 04:27 AM

Isn't there a snopester who claims she was born holding her mother's IUD? I remember reading it as a first-person story in at least one thread here.
Old 22 February 2007, 12:33 PM

If a woman was pregnant, wouldn't her doc take the IUD out? It's not like it's way inside the uterus. It's just on the upper side of the cervix. Not to mention, with the dialation of the cervix during labor, it would probably come out. With docs and nurses poking around in there prior to baby's birth, they could most likely get it out. I vote ul. Of course, I've never had an IUD and I'm not an OB/GYN.
Old 22 February 2007, 01:22 PM

Since the fertilised egg forms, amongh other things, the amniotic sac and the IUD is on the outside of that amniotic sac, it's pretty unlikely unless the baby grabbed it during the birthing process (after the sac breaks). Sort of "ooh what's this?" as s/he heads towards the exit and into the birth canal.
Old 22 February 2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjava View Post
If a woman was pregnant, wouldn't her doc take the IUD out? It's not like it's way inside the uterus. It's just on the upper side of the cervix. Not to mention, with the dialation of the cervix during labor, it would probably come out. With docs and nurses poking around in there prior to baby's birth, they could most likely get it out. I vote ul. Of course, I've never had an IUD and I'm not an OB/GYN.
I got pregnant with an IUD in place, and the doctor told me that he could pull out the IUD and the pregnancy would most likely come out with it. He phrased it as "You wouldn't even have to think of it as an abortion," assuming reasonably that it was an unwanted pregnancy. I opted to keep it in because I wanted to have the baby. I had to be cautious about baths and swimming until the string disappeared into the cervix, because of the risk of infection.

After my son was born, my doctor told me that the IUD was delivered with the afterbirth.

Last edited by wanderwoman; 22 February 2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: to fix run-on sentence.
Old 22 February 2007, 01:55 PM

Icon97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Isn't there a snopester who claims she was born holding her mother's IUD? I remember reading it as a first-person story in at least one thread here.
Yup, that was me. Mom was using the Dalcon Shield, which apprently failed miserably in thousands of women. There was a class-action lawsuit (No, I have no cites, but Mom got a few hundred bucks when I was fifteen years old, and we bought a TV with the money.). Mom and the OB discussed removing it when she discovered she was pregnant, but the doctor said that could lead to miscarriage, so they left it in.
Old 22 February 2007, 01:55 PM

Wow, who would have thought that removing the IUD would make that happen.
Old 22 February 2007, 02:39 PM

I conceived my fourth child when I had an IUD in situ. I was also advised not to have the device removed as there was a risk of miscarriage. I assume it was delivered with the afterbirth. Nobody mentioned it when he was born and I didn't ask as it was the last thing on my mind at the time.

I think Llewtrah makes a good point. I wouldn't have thought the IUD would be inside the amniotic sac but if by some freak chance it was there then I can believe the baby might have been grasping it. I was with my son and his partner when they had a 4D scan on their baby last year and was amazed to see her reaching out and grabbing the umbilical cord....and somewhat squicked out when she stuffed it in her mouth and looked like she was gnawing on it.
Old 22 February 2007, 02:59 PM

Not an IUD, but DH was born holding the diaphram that his mom was using. Well, at least, that's the story MIL has told me. She also concieved the twins while on the pill. Either FILs swimmers were strong, or she's quite the fertile woman.
Old 22 February 2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
I was with my son and his partner when they had a 4D scan on their baby last year and was amazed to see her reaching out and grabbing the umbilical cord....and somewhat squicked out when she stuffed it in her mouth and looked like she was gnawing on it.
I guess when you'e trapped for nine months in a lightless, soundless, weightless tank for 9 months, you take whatever stimulation you can get. "Dum-dee-dum ...here I am ...floating ...floating ....floating ...Ooooooh! What's this?"
Old 22 February 2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst Dragon View Post
Not an IUD, but DH was born holding the diaphram that his mom was using. Well, at least, that's the story MIL has told me. She also concieved the twins while on the pill. Either FILs swimmers were strong, or she's quite the fertile woman.
Ummm, why would she be using a diaphragm if she was already pregnant? And was she having sex immediately before she went into labor? I really doubt this one; unlike IUDs, diaphragms don't stay in all the time.
Old 22 February 2007, 03:35 PM

Like I said, this was the story told to me. All I can imagine is the diaphram got lost (is that possible? I have no idea, I have no idea, I never used one.)

Shall I pass the shalt shaker?
Old 22 February 2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
I guess when you'e trapped for nine months in a lightless, soundless, weightless tank for 9 months, you take whatever stimulation you can get. "Dum-dee-dum ...here I am ...floating ...floating ....floating ...Ooooooh! What's this?"
It did look like that's what was going on. Awesome though it was it also felt a bit strange to be looking in on her private little world in there.
Old 22 February 2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
Ummm, why would she be using a diaphragm if she was already pregnant? And was she having sex immediately before she went into labor? I really doubt this one; unlike IUDs, diaphragms don't stay in all the time.
Have you ever seen a diaphragm? After my son was born, my OB tried to fit me for one. I was crying, I felt that it was very painful.

Yet it somehow just migrated past someone's cervix? Firstly, ew. Secondly, no way that happened! A diaphragm can certainly not get lost that much- and for it to stay in for the duration of a pregnancy is just absurd. The whole idea is absurd from start to finish.

Unless, or course, she got confused and meant IUD. Then it's possible.
Old 22 February 2007, 04:12 PM

Icon97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
I was with my son and his partner when they had a 4D scan on their baby last year and was amazed to see her reaching out and grabbing the umbilical cord....and somewhat squicked out when she stuffed it in her mouth and looked like she was gnawing on it.
Babies tend to put "new discoveries" in their mouths after they are born. (I think that it is called the oral/anal stage.) I have heard that thumb sucking has been caught on ultrasound scans.

I guess we just don't think about what they might be doing in there while they are incubating. (Except for the mom, who regularly gets kicked.) Out of sight, out of mind?
Old 22 February 2007, 04:21 PM

Kicked? I got assaulted! My son didn't turn upside down for a while and had this charming habit of kicking straight down (ouch!) which I at the time imagined must have been similar to getting kicked in the huevos. They also like to play with your ribs.

I am so not a jungle gym!
Old 22 February 2007, 04:32 PM

Interesting. The Zorrling didn't kick much at all. He did like to recline and stretch straight across, so his feet felt like they were trying to come out my left and his arms out my right, though.
Old 22 February 2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
Just feel compelled to point out here that the uterus isn't a soundless environment by any stretch. The fetus (once it's grown its ears) is serenaded by the soothing sound of its mother's hearbeat, not to mention the rumbles of her grumbling stomach and any sounds her bowels might make. It can also hear her voice. It can actually get rather noisy in there.

Nonny
Old 22 February 2007, 04:39 PM
Lady Neeva

Both of my younger sisters had to learn the fine art of "Baby Hand Thumping" while carrying my nieces and nephew -- all three of the little human larvae apparently had a fascination with practically wrapping a hand around a rib from the inside. Thier OB/GYNs told them to just tap the little hand bulge and they'd let go.

Not that it worked with the nieces... according to my sisters, they were both convinced the girls would be born still holding a rib hehe.

And yes, I still refer to them as human larvae and/or spawnlings. This is an improvement over what my sisters still refer to them as... Alien Parasitic Infestations or APIs lol. Yes, we are in fact warped.

Oh and my Mother just wandered into the room... she wants me to point out, since we're on the topic, that it felt like I was using her bladder as a trampoline towards the end.