snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 29 November 2008, 07:48 AM

Chef Taco Bell must be eaten within an hour of ordering

Comment: After bringing home some Taco Bell, not being able to finish it, and
sticking it in the fridge, I was warned by my housemate that the meat is
only meant to be eaten within an hour of receiving the food.

He says he knows this because he is a schoolteacher, and wanted to bring
in some Taco Bell for his students one day, and filled out an order for
several dozen tacos and burritos. Before they confirmed the order, the
Taco Bell staff asked him when he would be finishing all off eating all of
the food, and he explained he's giving it to his students in about 2
hours. They told him they could not go through with the order, because the
meat supposedly cannot be eaten over an hour after being given to you.
Seems suspicious to me, but not entirely surprising..
Old 29 November 2008, 08:16 AM

Whalephant

I worked there for 9 years (granted I quit in 1996) and I've never heard this before, though I don't know that I'd want to eat Taco Bell food that was picked up 2 hours previously and was just sitting around until it was distributed. Sounds like someone got their food safety information/standards on how long meat should be kept on the line [how long food should sit out/how long meat should be kept on the line before being pulled, etc.] all garbled.
Old 29 November 2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Sounds like someone got their food safety information/standards on how long meat should be kept on the line [how long food should sit out/how long meat should be kept on the line before being pulled, etc.] all garbled.
That was my first thougth as well. Though I have never worked at Taco Bell, I have worked at other fast food joints after High School. Most of these places do have have a time limit as to how long after leaving the store they consider the food to be fresh. This is a self imposed standard and has nothing to do with the food being edible, but instead it about how warn it still is and its taste and texture.
Old 29 November 2008, 10:12 PM

If this were indeed the case, then anyone placing an order to go would have to be informed, not just someone placing a large order. The restraurant has no way of knowing when a to go order will be consumed, regardless of size. I don't know how many times my son has brought home 1-2 tacos from his order and then saved them to eat later.
Old 30 November 2008, 02:51 AM

Oddly enough, I ate Taco Bell tonight driving downstate, about a 4 hour journey. Eating while driving is messy enough, but I spilled some down my top pretty badly. I was shocked when I got home and undressed and there was a dessicated piece of taco meat in my brassiere that looked about a week old. It was kinda scary.

And that was like, sitting under my warm boob! That has to be somewhat akin to a heat lamp.
Old 30 November 2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
And that was like, sitting under my warm boob! That has to be somewhat akin to a heat lamp.
Great, an all new way for guys to be obnoxious...

"Hey, baby, nice heat lamps. I'd like to warm my burrito there!"
Old 30 November 2008, 03:41 AM

Well this is sort of how all prepared foods work. IIRC To serve food to the general public it must be held at temperature for no more than 4 hours. If that temperature can't be guaranteed, it can be held at room temperature for no more than 2 hours.
Old 30 November 2008, 06:44 AM
Lady Neeva

I agree that Taco Bell food isn't fit for consumption after an hour, but it has nothing to do with like toxicity or anything. It is simply that the shells turn to mush and the lettuce is just revolting after about 20-30 minutes tops lol.
Old 30 November 2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
Well this is sort of how all prepared foods work. IIRC To serve food to the general public it must be held at temperature for no more than 4 hours. If that temperature can't be guaranteed, it can be held at room temperature for no more than 2 hours.
That's before they sell it to you, though - they hardly have to ensure you'll stick to the same standards afterwards before being allowed to sell it.
Old 30 November 2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
That's before they sell it to you, though - they hardly have to ensure you'll stick to the same standards afterwards before being allowed to sell it.
f 5n the extremely unlikely event that a Taco Bell (whatever that is) were to be considered dangerously unfit for human consumption after two hours, I would think they would be under some sort of obligation to put a use by time on it - every foodstuff I buy from the supermarket has those.

I suppose you could argue that fast food restaurants expect that you will indeed consume whatever it is in a fairly short time. However if a two hour and one minute old Taco Bell was truly hazardous, then they should point that out.

Since apparently they don't, and anyway applying the rules of commonsense food handling, I think it's fair to say that after a couple of hours it may be soggy and nasty, but not dangerous to consume.
Old 01 December 2008, 05:12 AM

I've eaten 2-3 hour old taco bell tacos (non-refrigerated) before, and I'm still alive. I admit it's probably not the safest thing in the world to do, but it's obviously not always fatal.
Old 01 December 2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeondragon18 View Post
I've eaten 2-3 hour old taco bell tacos (non-refrigerated) before, and I'm still alive. I admit it's probably not the safest thing in the world to do, but it's obviously not always fatal.
I've done the same thing, only it was more like the next morning after a late night fast food run. several hours and unrefrigerated, but it didn't taste bad or anything (well, for taco bell food) and I suffered no ill effects afterwards.
Old 02 December 2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
f 5n the extremely unlikely event that a Taco Bell (whatever that is) were to be considered dangerously unfit for human consumption after two hours, I would think they would be under some sort of obligation to put a use by time on it - every foodstuff I buy from the supermarket has those.
Some people might argue that consuming Tacobell within minutes of it being prepared is dangerously unfit for human consumption.

Personally, i love my taco bell, (with firesauce)..
Combo 3, with nachos instead of fries, Hard with a Mountain Dew..

(my mouth is watering..... gaaahhh....)
Old 02 December 2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
A Bra-Marie?
Old 02 December 2008, 05:13 AM

I wouldn't want to eat Taco Bell food that long after picking it up. Cold tacos and soda that's watery because the ice melted? Blech!
Old 02 December 2008, 05:14 AM
kia

My ex-husband and I had a favourite restaurant that we used to eat at probably three times a week (Mexican). I never finished my meal and always took home a doggy bag. I can't remember now whether they changed their policy due to law or publicity at the time about food poisoning, but after awhile they could no longer give me doggy bags. There was one waitress who did it, but only on the sly because we were frequent customers and she knew us and told us they could still do it if they gave customers printed instructions about reheating food to safe temperatures before eating, and the food had to be eaten that night. Because that was too hard they decided to just implement a "no doggy bag policy". I haven't actually asked a restaurant for a doggy bag since then so don't know if that is a widely used policy or law or if it was just them.

ETA: This wasn't a fast food mexican place either, it was an a la carte restaurant.
Old 02 December 2008, 06:18 AM

They have it all mixed up.

It's "Taco Bell will be expelled within an hour of consumption!"
Old 02 December 2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kia View Post
My ex-husband and I had a favourite restaurant that we used to eat at probably three times a week (Mexican). I never finished my meal and always took home a doggy bag. I can't remember now whether they changed their policy due to law or publicity at the time about food poisoning, but after awhile they could no longer give me doggy bags. There was one waitress who did it, but only on the sly because we were frequent customers and she knew us and told us they could still do it if they gave customers printed instructions about reheating food to safe temperatures before eating, and the food had to be eaten that night. Because that was too hard they decided to just implement a "no doggy bag policy". I haven't actually asked a restaurant for a doggy bag since then so don't know if that is a widely used policy or law or if it was just them.

ETA: This wasn't a fast food mexican place either, it was an a la carte restaurant.
When I was in Oz in '02ish, I asked for a box to take my leftovers home the first night we ate out, and the server looked at me funny. My friend I was visiting explained to her that I was American, and to me that they don't do doggie bags in Oz as a matter of policy. This was in Melbourne, and anecdote != data and all that, but yeah, that was my experience and that was what I was told.
Old 02 December 2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
Personally, i love my taco bell, (with firesauce)..
Combo 3, with nachos instead of fries, Hard with a Mountain Dew..
Nachos instead of fries? There are Taco Bells with fries? I was not aware of this. I only discovered a few months ago that Del Taco combos come with fries (my confusion was expressed via drunken text message unintentional poetry as follows: "why why they give me tacos and fries?").

Last edited by candy from strangers; 02 December 2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: fix quote