snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 18 November 2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
Prove it.
I would, but I am very busy cutting a record with my daughter.
Old 18 November 2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
The theory is almost too perfect to be true. Barack Obama, the son of politically progressive parents, was born Aug. 4, 1961 almost nine months to the day after John F. Kennedy was elected to the White House. Is it possible Obama was conceived on that historic night?
Only if he was born one month premature. Everyone seems to forget the month between conception and realizing you are pregnant.
Old 18 November 2008, 11:06 PM

I think he would be 1 week early if conceived on 11/22. Gestation is 38 weeks "normally", but they call it 40 weeks from the LMP, so using the pregnacy due date calculator, and plugging in 11/22 as the date of ovulation I got 8/14 as the due date.

ETA: I don't know what I was reading earlier. I think possibly JFK's death date got me confused. Anyway, with an election day ovulation, he'd be due July 29 ish and Aug 4 would put him 1 week over. (Election Day 1962 was 11/6)

Last edited by rhiandmoi; 18 November 2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 18 November 2008, 11:47 PM

It appears I could be J. Edgar Hoover or Margaret Rutherford, but I don't look nearly as good in a dress as either of them. I also see there was a Led Zeppelin concert not far from where my parents lived at the right time, but that's definitely not their style.

But my theory is that I was a stewardess in a former life. I don't know of any plane crashes from the day before I was born, but maybe I should look into the summer before...
Old 19 November 2008, 12:06 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
[hijack] Why is it that whenever you see a documentary about people who've had reincarnation experiences, they always realise under hypnosis that they were some famous historical figure? It always seems that they were Napoleon 1'st or Alexander the Great or Joan of Arc, and very seldom "I was Joe the pig herder, or Sarah the seamstress." [/hijack]
I would be far more impressed with "past life regression" if they stopped turning up people who were either historically famous or citizens of Atlantis. Find me someone who has had past life flashbacks and says "Yeah, I was a butcher last time and before that I was an accountant. Atlantis? Nope, but I was a janitor in Atlanta" and I'd be much more impressed.

I still wouldn't find it believable but it at least sounds more honest.
Old 19 November 2008, 12:10 AM

Waffles. I am having problems quoting rhiandmoi and including my response to her quote. I keep seeing only a part of her quote and a part of my response in a weird from of gobbedly-gook.
Old 19 November 2008, 12:12 AM

[QUOTE=rhiandmoi;803695]I think he would be 1 week early if conceived on 11/22. Gestation is 38 weeks "normally", but they call it 40 weeks from the LMP, so using the this calculator (I think we crashed your link), and going backwards, a birthdate of August 14 also gives me a "conception date" of November 22. It also shows that as a total of 40 weeks pregnant or 10 months. I wasn't arguing the math, just the semantics of the OP implying that all pregnancies are only 9 months when gestation is actually closer to 9.5 to 10 months (38 to 40 weeks).

ETA: Waffles #2. Sorry.

Last edited by vanilla; 19 November 2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 19 November 2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhiandmoi:
I think he would be 1 week early if conceived on 11/22. Gestation is 38 weeks "normally", but they call it 40 weeks from the LMP, so using the pregnacy due date calculator, and plugging in 11/22 as the date of ovulation I got 8/14 as the due date.

ETA: I don't know what I was reading earlier. I think possibly JFK's death date got me confused. Anyway, with an election day ovulation, he'd be due July 29 ish and Aug 4 would put him 1 week over. (Election Day 1962 was 11/6)
Using this calculator (I think we crashed your link), and going backwards, a birthdate of August 14 also gives me a "conception date" of November 22. It also shows that as a total of 40 weeks pregnant or 10 months. I wasn't arguing the math, just the semantics of the OP implying that all pregnancies are only 9 months when gestation is actually closer to 9.5 to 10 months (38 to 40 weeks).
Old 19 November 2008, 12:25 AM

United States

Election Day in 1960, the day JFK was elected, was on November 8, not November 4.

Barb Rainey
Old 19 November 2008, 12:37 AM

I may be the reincarnation of Rex Stout (creator of Nero Wolfe), he died around the time of my likely conception.

I hope I'm not the reincarnation of Jochen Peiper, who died on my birthdate.
Old 19 November 2008, 01:20 AM

Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
Using this calculator (I think we crashed your link), and going backwards, a birthdate of August 14 also gives me a "conception date" of November 22. It also shows that as a total of 40 weeks pregnant or 10 months. I wasn't arguing the math, just the semantics of the OP implying that all pregnancies are only 9 months when gestation is actually closer to 9.5 to 10 months (38 to 40 weeks).
As long as you aren't arguing semantics, I won't argue that there is only one month, three years out of four, that is exactly four weeks long. All the others are two to three days longer. Thus, depending upon the month of conception, there might be a couple of weeks squirrelled away amongst those months.

For example:

Conception March 1.
March 4 weeks + 3 days
April 4 weeks + 2 days
May 4 weeks + 3 days
June 4 weeks + 2 days
July 4 weeks + 3 days
August 4 weeks + 3 days
September 4 weeks + 2 days
October 4 weeks + 3 days
November 4 weeks + 2 days
Birth 1 December

Only 9 months, but 36 weeks + 23 days

Or 39 weeks and 2 days.

But I won't argue that point
Old 19 November 2008, 02:50 AM

I'm John Steinbeck and I've never even read any of my own books.
Old 19 November 2008, 03:18 AM
Altered Statesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonny Mouse View Post
I'm Spartacus.
No, I am Spartacus.
Old 19 November 2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
I wasn't arguing the math, just the semantics of the OP implying that all pregnancies are only 9 months when gestation is actually closer to 9.5 to 10 months (38 to 40 weeks).
In some countries it's even called ten months. If you say "nine" they'd think the baby was premature.
Old 19 November 2008, 04:39 AM

I was conceived the day OJ Simpson was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. And my parents hated sports.

Strangely, I was conceived exactly 30 years before my daughter was born.
Old 19 November 2008, 04:48 AM

Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Statesman View Post
No, I am Spartacus.
Non! I am Giselle, ze French Beetch!

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 19 November 2008, 05:14 AM

According to the birthday calculator, I was conceived april 7th, 1984. That would make me the reincarnation of a US senator named Frank Church.

The creepy part? he was senator of Idaho, and was buried in Boise. I was born, 9 months later, in Idaho Falls (a suburb of Boise.)

scary!
Old 19 November 2008, 05:27 AM

March 8, 1963: cricket player John Hartley
Old 19 November 2008, 11:19 AM

Soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiTheInvader View Post

The creepy part? he was senator of Idaho, and was buried in Boise. I was born, 9 months later, in Idaho Falls (a suburb of Boise.)

scary!
The not-creepy part: Church was among the first senators to push the cause of civil rights reform (nearly a decade before the 1964 act), and we also have him to thank for the fact that the CIA no longer routinely murders people it doesn't like. Consider it an honor.
Old 19 November 2008, 05:11 PM

My mom once told me I was two weeks late being born. I did the math and discovered I was born nine months and two weeks from my Dad's birthday.

Then I blocked everything from my mind and decided I was immaculately conceived. Yeah. Move along, nothing to see here...