snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 06 November 2008, 11:11 PM

Shout Boycott Mormon-run businesses!

Important info regarding Prop 8 (anti-gay marriage proposition in CA that
passed thanks to a LARGE amt of funding from LDS) - please pass this on:

The Mormon Church and its members were some of the largest donors in the
Prop 8 measure. As many of your know, Mormon church members are required
to tithe a portion of their income to the Church.

Universely, we need to avoid putting any more money into the Church's
coffers by boycotting all companies where a Mormon church member holds an
officer's position or a large majority interest. This includes:

MARRIOTT HOTELS

PRICELINE.COM

ALBERTSONS GROCERY STORES

K-SWISS SHOES

HOUSE OF FABRICS

NATIONWIDE INSURANCE INCLUDING ITS AFFILIATES SUCH AS ALLIED.

SWIFT TRANSPORTATION

EARTH SHELL

CORVIS

HUNTSMAN CHEMICAL

OAKLEY

NPS PHARMECEUTICALS

MEGAHERTZ CORPORATION

CORNERSTONE REALTY INCOME TRUST

KNIGHT TRANSPORTATION (TRUCKING)

MERIT MEDICAL

PLUS all those companies that are directly owned by the MORMON CHURCH
outside of Utah, many of which are FOR PROFIT.

Join the effort and put your dollars into non-Mormon companies that
deserve your support!
Old 07 November 2008, 04:12 PM

Icon27

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Universely, we need to avoid putting any more money into the Church's coffers by boycotting all companies where a Mormon church member holds an officer's position or a large majority interest.
So, we are now supposed to dig into the religious affiliation of the officers of a company before we do business with them?

I'm willing to bet you that there's a VP somewhere in Coke that is a Mormon. Can't buy Coke. Oops - there's probably a Mormon VP at Pepsico. Can't drink Pepsi. Keep doing this, and pretty soon all you can drink is KKKola.
Old 07 November 2008, 04:16 PM

By all means, lets punish the thousands of non-LDS workers at these companies for the Church's actions.

For that matter, I know for a fact that many LDS members, while personally opposed to gay marriage on religious grounds, were opposed to Prop 8 and favor gays having the right to marry. You know, that whole "free agency" thing? Just because the uber-conservative Church heirarchy has a party line does not mean all the members fall in on it lockstep.

(...wow. I can't believe I just defended the Mormon Church.)
Old 07 November 2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
(...wow. I can't believe I just defended the Mormon Church.)
How very Chuck Norris-ish of you!
Old 07 November 2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
PLUS all those companies that are directly owned by the MORMON CHURCH
outside of Utah, many of which are FOR PROFIT.
Those are the only ones that I would see a boycott of as making sense.
Old 07 November 2008, 04:30 PM

So we're only targeting the Mormons in this? What of the other donors--is there a reason they're not named so we can boycott them too?

And it may come as a surprise to whoever wrote this, but people are allowed to do with their money as they see fit (providing it's legal), no matter what the rest of us may think.

Magdalene
Old 07 November 2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
And it may come as a surprise to whoever wrote this, but people are allowed to do with their money as they see fit (providing it's legal), no matter what the rest of us may think.
And I have a right to criticize them loudly and publicly for doing so.* People do not have the right to my good graces.

*Although I wouldn't criticize every member of the Mormon Church for causing Prop 8. The church itself, though? Hell, yes. Is there a list of church-owned businesses (if there are any or many) anywhere? Because I don't think I'll be using them anymore.
Old 07 November 2008, 04:44 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
And it may come as a surprise to whoever wrote this, but people are allowed to do with their money as they see fit
Including not giving it to businesses run by people with whom they disagree ideologically.
Old 08 November 2008, 06:01 AM

I will not patronize Curves women's gyms or Domino's Pizza for their donations to anti-abortion causes. Will it hurt them? Not really. I still do not want to support those businesses financially.
Old 08 November 2008, 06:09 AM

Default Utah faces boycott after Mormon work for Prop 8

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/...cklash_boycott

Utah's growing tourism industry and the star-studded Sundance Film Festival are being targeted for a boycott by bloggers, gay rights activists and others seeking to punish the Mormon church for its aggressive promotion of California's ban on gay marriage.

It could be a heavy price to pay. Tourism brings in $6 billion a year to Utah, with world-class skiing, a spectacular red rock country and the film festival founded by Robert Redford, among other popular tourist draws.
Old 08 November 2008, 04:12 PM

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamamander View Post
I will not patronize Curves women's gyms or Domino's Pizza for their donations to anti-abortion causes.
I also boycotted Domino's for many years for that reason. Even though it's now a moot point, I tend to not consider them for my pizza-consuming needs since I avoided them for so many years, so in effect I still boycott them out of habit rather than outrage.
Old 08 November 2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
I also boycotted Domino's for many years for that reason. Even though it's now a moot point, I tend to not consider them for my pizza-consuming needs since I avoided them for so many years, so in effect I still boycott them out of habit rather than outrage.
Same here!

For the gay marriage ban thing, this kinda sorta boycott of everything associated with Utah or Mormons doesn't seem like it would work. I do go out of my way to patronize gay friendly local businesses (my daughter picked up a brochure at the last Pride day celebration) and I would not patronize businesses I knew to be gay unfriendly. Also, everyone who believes in equal rights should just make it a habit to put forward equal rights for gays whenever it comes up. I don't waste time arguing with radical wing-nuts, but I know people who lean slightly anti-gay but are willing to engage in rational debates. Given that the younger generation is much more in favor of equal rights for all, combined with everyone doing what they can to make small steps forward, I think it won't be long before gay rights are in the same place that civil rights for black people have been for some time now--i.e., they will have full protection under law and while there will still be a good bit of discrimination, it will be more hidden and people won't feel comfortable being bigoted in polite company. Not perfect, but those legal rights would be a nice start.

snoozn
Old 08 November 2008, 08:22 PM

I choose to boycott Domino's for the political reason that their pizza sucks.
Old 08 November 2008, 09:57 PM

Well, there is that too. I can't stand Dominos' pizza at all anymore. Bleahhhh
Old 10 November 2008, 07:07 PM
Koshka

I've been told the Dreaded Domino's Death Disk makes a good emergency repair if some shingles are blown off your roof .

I can't see why anyone would eat the stuff, unless it's desperation.
Old 12 November 2008, 01:21 PM

Just check and make sure any businesses listed are what's claimed. My parent company put out a newsletter stating that they are being listed as being Mormon-owned, which they aren't.

Magdalene
Old 12 November 2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
I've boycotted a German dairy producer (Müllermilch) for some time on the not-so-political ground that they had a guy in their commercials I absolutly can not stand (Dieter Bohlen). After they discontinued these commercials, I made a point of buying their products again.

Even though individual boycott likely doesn't accomplish anything, it's based on the idea of "if everybody did like I do, they would have to react". But if (g)your aim is to change something about a companies politics by boycotting them, (g)you - IMO - have to acknowledge when the change is actually made by ending your boycott.

This doesn't mean that your, Tootsie Plunkette, or anybody else's decision not to buy/go to/see/patronise a certain product/company even after the point for boycott is mute is wrong. It's just my take on things.

Don "don't buy anything this guy is doing commercials for, and don't watch the German versions of 'Britain's got talent' and 'Idol'!" Enrico
Old 14 November 2008, 02:55 PM

Wow...I'm a little stunned. I LOVE Dominos--it's my favorite delivery pizza. I had no idea it was so unpopular...
Old 02 December 2008, 02:38 AM

Is it really fair to blame the enitre Mormon church for the actions of a few members or officials? I have a friend who is Mormon and pro-gay rights, and she would be apalled to be lumped into the same category as the people who financially backed Prop. 8.
Old 02 December 2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Wow...I'm a little stunned. I LOVE Dominos--it's my favorite delivery pizza. I had no idea it was so unpopular...
Papa Johns > Dominos.