Blow Your Top Too many keys

Comment: Not sure if this really classifies as something that you would
put on the website, but is it true that having several keys on your
keyring can cause your ignition switch in your vehicle to go bad? Ive
heard you should only carry your car key on your keyring but this seems a
little absurd to me.
Old 29 December 2006, 07:42 PM

Icon27

The only thing I can think of is that maybe some of these newer keys with the 'chip' inside might be electrically damaged. But, if you think of it, the static charge generated by the adverage pants pocket would probably be far more damaging.
Old 29 December 2006, 07:48 PM

This has been discussed on Car Talk a few times. They have said that having a lot of weight on your key ring can damage the mechanical lock you stick the key in (not the electrical ignition switch, though many people confuse the two). I believe "a lot of weight" means something like the school janitor's keyring, not a typical person's keys.
Old 29 December 2006, 07:51 PM

Here's what Click and Clack have to say about it.

ETA: Semi-spanked by Wildabeast
Old 07 January 2007, 07:05 AM
CatPurrson

Icon220

I've heard basically the same thing, that it's not good for the ignition to have too much weight hanging from the key. This has caused me to remove my keyring collection (at least most of it) from my car keys.

One thing about having too much stuff dangling from one's car keys-- it bugs the crap out of me to have the keyrings and junk banging against my knee when I'm driving. (I've used my sister's keys several times, and she has a lanyard attatched to her keys that really irritates me.)

Cat"one ringy-dingy"Purrson
Old 07 January 2007, 07:34 AM

Another vote for yes it can. I don't put any keys on that ring except the ones for the car. I have had to change the lock cylinder on a Mercedes before and it was an all day affair involving a die grinder and removal of the instrument cluster.

I don't want to do it again.
Old 07 January 2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Not sure if this really classifies as something that you would
put on the website, but is it true that having several keys on your
keyring can cause your ignition switch in your vehicle to go bad? Ive
heard you should only carry your car key on your keyring but this seems a
little absurd to me.
Two reasons this is bad:

1. Keys with electrical code locks as well. They may not like being stuffed together with other metal. On the other hand, even if you keep them on their own key ring, chances are that you dump all your key rings in the same pocket...

2. Mechanical damage to the lock. The weight of a big key ring, perhaps with some huge Swiss army knife or some other heavy object as well, can damage the ignition switch. That has happened to me, I ended up with a start button instead (it was an old car, not worth the trouble of a new lock). Switches don't like being jiggled, and a swinging key ring will jiggle it.
Old 07 January 2007, 02:58 PM

Well too much weight on the keyring certainly damaged the lock on my SIL's VW camper a couple of years ago - we were driving back from the shop on New Years Day and suddenly the keyring just dropped to the floor... the key had snapped off leaving well over half of it in the lock! Luckily she didn't stall the car on the way home, but have you ever tried to get the RAC out on New Years?!
Old 07 January 2007, 07:43 PM

Teacher

My step father was told this when he was going to ATI in Va Beach...Hubby went there as well & he agrees that it is true that the weight of too many key chains can slowly wear out the ignition block.

Last edited by Squishy0405; 07 January 2007 at 07:44 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Old 07 January 2007, 08:01 PM
GoMeZu

(with snarkiness for no reason)

I have to say, I used to carry around half a cinder block on a chain with my keys and I NEVER had a problem with my ignition. I did have an issue with having my knee cap replaced after a quick stop, but that's a different story...

Sorry... Work boredom is making me want to be an A**hat... The thread just seemed to be too uneventful.

Carry on.

GoMeZu
Old 08 January 2007, 12:15 AM
Bramble Silvertree

I remember picking up my car at the shop and being chewed out by my mechanic for having too many doo-dads on my key ring (I collected key chains, and had about 5 of my favorites attached to my car key). He said he didn't want to have to replace my ignition because of all the weight hanging off it. I laughed it off, then two days later my key broke off in the ignition. Ooops
Old 08 January 2007, 06:39 PM

As my wife pointed out: How many are considered too many? Whats the weight limit?
We do have a good sized bundle of keys, but just having the car keys seperately wouldnt be a good solution for my wife (or me), we'd end up forgetting the other set.
Old 08 January 2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDBlackwolf View Post
As my wife pointed out: How many are considered too many? Whats the weight limit?
We do have a good sized bundle of keys, but just having the car keys seperately wouldnt be a good solution for my wife (or me), we'd end up forgetting the other set.
From the CarTalk link above:

Quote:
So if you've got seven, eight or even 10 keys, it's probably not worth worrying about. But if you're a custodian in a junior high school, we recommend detachable key chains. They usually have two rings, one on each end, with a quick-detach clasp in between. When you get in the car, you detach the ring that has just your car keys, and leave the rest in your pocket or your purse.
On another note, I ended up with four stitches in my knee after a car accident from an injury caused by a key. I was wearing lined wool slacks. The key sliced through the wool, but not through the tightly-woven lining. However, it gouged a chunk of flesh out of my knee right through the lining. I still have a scar. So I don't like keys dangling near my knee when I drive.
Old 08 January 2007, 09:10 PM
Beckythump

Icon23

I'm always worried about the key to my motorbike snapping off in the ignition... very unlikely, as it's showing no signs of bending or hairline cracks, but still.

The weight of the keys stressing the ignition hadn't actually occured to me before. On my keyring I have the bike ignition, key for the wheel rope lock, front door key and... a sizeable authentic Metropolitan police whistle from back in the day. I just rather liked the look of it. It's not too heavy though, so the only issue is the sound of it sliding against the bike panel under the ignition as I put my right foot down at stops. 'Tis useful for if I need to find my keys in a cluttered bag, though, easily grabbable.
Old 09 January 2007, 09:59 AM

if people and especially the law would deal more harshley with these idiots, then car jackings would stop, or at least slow down. kill em all
Old 09 January 2007, 10:49 AM
Beckythump

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad55 View Post
if people and especially the law would deal more harshley with these idiots, then car jackings would stop, or at least slow down. kill em all
*Blinks*

Wrong topic, or really unforgiving attitude to those keyring collectors?
Old 09 January 2007, 10:49 AM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad55 View Post
I suspect you've posted in the wrong thread. If not, perhaps you could clarify.
Old 09 January 2007, 01:34 PM

my mistake. you all were correct, wrong topic. although it is true
Old 09 January 2007, 02:04 PM
Doug4.7

Glasses

Just as an alternative data point, I have 10-12 keys on my key chain PLUS my wallet, and we've had no trouble with the number of cars we've had (each one sold well after 150,000 miles). Maybe cheap Japanese and American car ignition locks can handle more weight.
Old 09 January 2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Just as an alternative data point, I have 10-12 keys on my key chain PLUS my wallet, and we've had no trouble with the number of cars we've had (each one sold well after 150,000 miles). Maybe cheap Japanese and American car ignition locks can handle more weight.
Obviously, you drive like an old lady.

It's not so much the mechanical damage as the constant rubbing of the switch surfaces due to vibrations from the swinging keys. That causes it oxidize and contact becomes bad.