snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 28 October 2008, 07:39 PM
smirkdirk

Default Swinging baby video

I do hope this is fake.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=86e_1225055845
Old 28 October 2008, 08:02 PM

At first I thought it might not be until he started swinging the baby by one arm, I don't think it would be possible for anyone to do that without dislocating and/or breaking the baby's arm. I didn't watch it all the way through, but I would guess it is faked and some sort of viral video, to what purpose though, I've no clue.

It still made me feel sick though.
Old 28 October 2008, 08:04 PM

I can't see the video. When DD was a toddler, my brothers used to hold her by the ankles and swing her upside down, back and forth between their legs. She loved it. They wouldn't have swung her by one arm, though.
Old 28 October 2008, 08:31 PM

The swinging in this video is pretty extreme. A baby in a diaper crawls up to a man, the man picks the baby up by the hands and begins swinging it around, first side to side so the baby's body goes diagonal, but then the swinging gets faster and faster and he's swinging the baby up over his head. Eventually he lets one arm go and starts swinging the baby around one-handed. The video is very long too so this goes on for a long time. At first I was just horrified that someone would be so rough with a baby because it looked pretty real, but once he let go of one of the baby's arms it started to look fake and I really can't imagine that anyone could swing a baby one-armed with such speed and not cause harm to the baby's arm, wrist or shoulder. The baby looks to be around 8 months old.
Old 28 October 2008, 08:49 PM

Is swinging a baby holding JUST its hands safe, though? (The pre extreme stuff.) I had always thought that was dangerous, too.
Old 28 October 2008, 08:57 PM

Not at all safe, as far as I know you're not supposed to swing kids by their hands until they're around age 5 or so because their joints aren't strong enough and dislocations are common, but I can imagine an adult doing it all the same, even to a baby so young. I found the beginning of the video horrible, but sadly probable. It reminded me of the awful video of a teenaged boy putting a baby on the end of an inflatable pillow, then jumping on the other end and sending the baby flying several feet, then laughing while the baby cries. That video nearly made me vomit and it was very much real.

That other video is mentioned here.
Old 28 October 2008, 10:27 PM

We accidentally dislocated babyjava's elbow when she was about six months old just by having her do *baby sit-ups. (Holding her hands and pulling her to sitting while we made silly faces/noises at her most upright point.

The majority of this video looks fake to me. Especially the double-jointed shoulder part.

*We were not trying to get her to do actual sit-ups for any weird reason. it's just the best way I could describe how we played with her.
Old 28 October 2008, 11:34 PM
Lady Luzhin

It's fake, I think. Kinda reminds me of the meatspin thread I am guilty of starting. Instead it's babyspin here.
Old 28 October 2008, 11:53 PM

It may be "fake" in that it's looped to look like it goes on longer than it really does, but yeah, the guy may actual swing the baby, just once or twice with each hold.

I think it's at least speeded up, because the TV picture in the back is in sync at the beginning, when the baby is crawling, and loses the vertical hold once the swinging starts.

The man looks very muscular, and also seems to have real technique in the way he swings the baby, so he may be some sort of gymnast or acrobat. It's possible he knows a way of doing this safely.

Probably not, though. My husband played pretty rough (rough for a baby-- would have been OK with an older kid) with DS when he was tiny, and I had to get the doctor to tell him to ease up. When I told him myself not to be so rough, his response was always that DS liked it.

Right. Three-month-olds always know just what's good for them.
Old 29 October 2008, 06:52 AM

I don't think it's fake. I agree the guy looks like he knows what he's doing. Doesn't make it a good idea to do it to a child of that age, though.

Dude needs to check out this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pE0P...eature=related

Okay, it's about drinking, but still ...
Old 29 October 2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllavus View Post
That other video is mentioned here.
Car wreck. Had ta look.

Thank Dog it wasn't as bad as I thought from the description, actually. A teen weighs quite a bit and I was thinking he'd launched himself onto it - sending the baby probably 10s of feet through the air. This is quite a bit milder, although yes, still disturbing.

Mothers, the things your kids are doing when you think it's safe to leave the baby with them.

I think both of these videos stem from simply not realising how fragile babies are. I mean, babies are undoubtedly tougher than almost anyone realises first time, too, but there are limits, ya know?
Old 02 December 2008, 09:20 AM
pectopah

Shout

The story got a somewhat expected, but very disturbing twist to it.

The video was removed from Liveleak, along with almost a thousand (mainly outraged) comments. I have to say the comments would’ve made a good thesis material for someone studying crowd psychology and mass hysteria – every third comment proposed at least some kind of an inventive castration procedure for the dad in the video, and the rest of the discussion focused on fake/not fake issue and urgent pleas to call the media and child protection services to “have the poor innocent child removed from this monster of a dad”.

Apparently, with over 300 thousand views over the past month, someone (probably, a couple thousand distressed liveleakers) did call CPS. With a result that seems to underscore Kafka’s and Orwell’s visionary genius:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a77_1228162261

Now, this is wrong on so many levels I don’t know where to start…
Old 05 December 2008, 04:55 PM

Default Armed anti-paedophile cops swoop on video site uploader

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-156695

Quote:
A video sharing website user who posted a clip of a man apparently swinging a baby around has had his house raided by an armed Australian police anti-paedophile squad.
Old 05 December 2008, 07:42 PM

Swinging babies is pedophilia now?

Quote:
The user "Biggles9" has been charged with "accessing child abuse material, downloading child abuse material and uploading child abuse material with the intent to distribute".
I can't imagine this is the intention of the law.

Quote:
Biggles9 did not ask for a lawyer to be present because he did not believe there was any case to answer.
No! Wrong! Having a lawyer does not make you look "more guilty" and having a lawyer present can protect you from coersive tactics used by police. This is how false confessions happen and innocent people go to jail.
Old 05 December 2008, 09:34 PM

Agreed. A lawyer is always a good idea. You can bet your bottom dollar the other side's got one.

This is really not what that law was for. Probably someone saw the vid and wondered what they could charge this guy with, and that was the best they could do. Though I would have thought actual child abuse laws might have had more in play here, rather than paedophile video distribution ones.
Old 07 December 2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Fang View Post
Probably someone saw the vid and wondered what they could charge this guy with, and that was the best they could do. Though I would have thought actual child abuse laws might have had more in play here, rather than paedophile video distribution ones.

But this isn't about the guy who was swinging the baby- this is about a guy who simply uploaded the video to Livelink in an attempt to identify the guy in the video. Pretty messed up situation there...
Old 08 December 2008, 02:12 AM
Altered Statesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
Swinging babies is pedophilia now?

Maybe he was part of a swingers club