snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 28 October 2008, 06:03 PM
searchingforsonseed

Default Sonseed

The other day I saw this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iUU6jTqB6k

It is of a late 70s/early 80s Christian band called Sonseed. The song is "Jesus Is My Friend."

I googled "Sonseed" and it seems there are people who think it is real and some who think it is fake.

Does anyone know for sure?
Old 31 October 2008, 12:14 AM

Icon106

I don't recall any Christian band of the '70s and '80s era called Sonseed, although there were most likely many songs that dealt with Jesus as my friend. I think there was either an group or a song entitled "Sonrise."

That's all the info I can provide. Sorry.

B. A. Rainey
Old 31 October 2008, 06:49 AM

I have an album by a 70s folk-type band called Sunseed.
Old 31 October 2008, 09:38 AM

This is a link to a site that confirms the existence of Sonseed and has a wholly illegal rip of the album which I do not recommend because:

1. It is illegal
2. It is disappointingly malware free
3. It is (while well produced) very Christian Rock indeed.

There is also a comment on the site that links to a metafilter post that reads:

"Ok, I thought that was a fun piece of music and was sure it was authentic. Curiosity got the better of me, looked up the lead singer on WhitePages and gave him a call. Sal Polichetti, a lovely guy. Told him there was a controversy about whether Sonseed existed or not, about this post. He was totally friendly and likable. Turns out he works in NYC, a couple of blocks from where I live.

I asked him if I could take notes as we spoke and said ok. This is what he said:

When the song came out on YouTube and he got all these random emails and calls, the first thing he looked for his copyright and he has it, registered it in 1981.

The band got together around 1979/1980, kind of an accident through a friend, Joseph, connected with Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Brooklyn, they all met, played for Pentecost Sunday. They kept in touch, met, prayed for an hour, all Catholic. It was quite innovative at that time, no Catholic rock music then. How he wrote the songs, the band members took hymnals, added guitar solos and drum solos, ended up doing local concerts at churches and schools, never took a dime. 18 to 20 rotating performers at one time.

Recording studio in Brooklyn, 9 original songs. Sold record at cost, gave records away. Somebody sent the record to NBC and it was played on a show, The First Estate, Channel 4. They lipsynched. The people who ran that show thought Jesus Is a Friend was “catchy and snappy”.

The band, Sonseed, sold 1100 tickets at a concert and gave the money away to charities, like to soup kitchens.

The band lasted to “late ‘83”. The keyboard player was his first wife.

He got an email from a blogger in California who had showed the videotape to friends over the years and Doug heard about it.

Sal has a video of their last concert, their drummer passed away 15 years ago.

Father Joseph Ciccone, a band member, (now a priest) then worked for an advertising agency, he designed the logo and the album cover.

And that's it. He was a total gentleman. And real."

The church mentioned, Our lady of Perpetual Help is real - 526 59th St, Brooklyn - +1 718-492-9200. Maybe they could confirm. There is a Father Joseph Ciccone and here is a picture of him. He could well be one of the backing singers in the video.

I see two possibilities. There is a massive conspiracy between multiple websites and someone has spent tens of thousands of dollars faking this or it is as it appears. I have believed less believable things on less evidence.

Blues
Old 31 October 2008, 10:06 AM

Icon106

Curiously, none of the songs on the supposed mp3 rip of the album sounds anything remotely like the song in on youtube except the song on youtube, which is exactly like the one in the mp3 "album". It sounds to me as if they just took an existing album, stuck a new number three track in there, renumbered the songs and voila. But it could be real and just someone who either didn't sing on the other songs or sounds completely different when singing faux ska. (I also wonder why the word Sonseed doesn't seem to appear in any books or magazines of the time. Wouldn't someone have mentioned the band?)
Old 31 October 2008, 10:26 AM

It is not uncommon for the single that a band releases to be very unlike others on the album, especially with bands that do not have an expected style. I suspect that the band members had different musical tastes given that they were allegedly recruited from members of a church rather than the more organic growth typical of bands.

That said, it could all be a conspiracy. Perhaps a Snopester based in New York or Tennessee could do some additional research?

Blues
Old 31 October 2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesScale View Post
This is a link to a site that confirms the existence of Sonseed and has a wholly illegal rip of the album which I do not recommend because:

2. It is disappointingly malware free
But would the bonus of malware for you to analyse have made up for it being too religious for your taste or were you just wishing a malware-infested fate on the downloaders of the illegal copy?
Old 31 October 2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
But would the bonus of malware for you to analyse have made up for it being too religious for your taste or were you just wishing a malware-infested fate on the downloaders of the illegal copy?
I just like analysing malware They did seem very happy clappy, didn't they?

Scary Samhaim!

Blues
Old 31 October 2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesScale View Post
I just like analysing malware They did seem very happy clappy, didn't they?

Scary Samhaim!
I haven't listened to it as

1. illegal download
2. I'm at work where it's against rules to download (even legal downloads) and against rules to stream music or videos from the web

The Sunseed (different spelling) album I have is very twee and 70s, though it has the track "I want to marry a lighthouse keeper" which has lines that sound like they should mean something naughty (about polishing his lamp all day).
Old 02 November 2008, 10:12 AM

I promise that I didn't retain any of the downloaded material once I discovered that it was malware free. I have sent links to the youtube video to several of my former atheist friends. They were friends right up to when they got the videos ;-)

Blues
Old 13 November 2008, 08:42 PM
searchingforsonseed

Thanks for all the help. Your search results were pretty much the same as mine. I too listened to the album, but that did not help validate whether Sonseed is real or fake. It seems like there is more evidence that they were real that there is for them being fake. I seriously doubt it is a multimillion dollar conspiracy. Hopefully an official Snopes page will be created authenticating or debunking Sonseed. Until then we will never know.
Old 14 November 2008, 08:48 AM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingforsonseed View Post
I seriously doubt it is a multimillion dollar conspiracy.
So do I because if it costs a million dollars to post a video, slap some mp3s in a file, and post comments in blogs, I want a piece of that racket.
Quote:
Hopefully an official Snopes page will be created authenticating or debunking Sonseed. Until then we will never know.
Because Los Esnopes are the arbiter of everything and we look to them for all knowledge.
Old 07 December 2008, 05:08 PM

That was very funny.

It's probably real, but it reminds me of a couple of SNL skits. One was very early, with Gilda Radner (ironically), Laraine Newman (also ironically), Dan Ackroyd, and IIRC, John Belushi as a very white music group. The song itself reminds me of the tune the band with Jimmy Fallon, Horatio Sanz, and Chris Kattan always played.
Old 07 December 2008, 05:34 PM

Once I tried to run
I tried to run and hide
But Jesus came and found me
And he touched me down inside
He is like a Mountie
He always gets his man
And he'll zap you
Any way he can!

ZAP!

Best...song verse...ever!!!!
Old 07 December 2008, 08:01 PM
Sunny Lea

The website listed in the "More Info" box on the linked YouTube video has lots of information, including interviews, and a live version of "Jesus Is a Friend of Mine."

http://dougsploitation.blogspot.com/.../label/Sonseed
Old 16 July 2009, 03:34 AM
searchingforsonseed

Sonseed is real after all! Sonseed is now with Arena Rock Recording Company and have released five of their songs from "First Fruit" on an EP titled "Jesus is a Friend of Mine." The CD can be purchased for $10 from Arena Rock or downloaded for $5 on Amazon.com
Old 16 July 2009, 04:18 AM

Australia

And the winner of the most obviously 1970's photo is... Sonseed.

The clothes, the hair, the 'Joy of Sex' beards.

Dropbear
Old 16 July 2009, 04:36 AM

If they were ten years younger, they could be the cast of Zoom.