snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 18 October 2008, 09:03 PM

Icon106 Muslim Schoolchildren Sing Praises of Obama

Comment: Is this video real ....Muslim children singing about Obama??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08iomNFrzU4
Old 18 October 2008, 09:04 PM

Icon18

There's no actual mention of Obama in the clip, so I'd speculate that it's just generic anti-American recitation.
Old 18 October 2008, 09:25 PM
kern

Do we even know that the subtitles are an accurate translation of what is being sung by the children?
Old 23 October 2008, 01:10 AM
Page Three

Tsk, Tsk

Maybe I'm a little late to the thread -- but my very first thought was "hey, that looks like a normal Koran school". I'd bet money that that's what it is, and I'd also bet that there's nothing "anti-American" about it; it's most likely just Koran verses. Note also that the word for "America" in Arabic is, iirc, "Amreeka"... and that it doesn't appear in what these kids are saying even once. The rocking and the singsong voice is typical "jog-your-memory" behaviour. Some kids (and adults) do the same thing if they memorize/recite long poems in English. Or German or French, for that matter.
Anti-American sentiments might very well be imparted together with religious instruction, but I'm nearly certain that that's not what is being shown in the video -- because that sort of thing doesn't necessitate memorizing lengthy texts and wouldn't lead to recitations like this one.

Learning the entire Koran by heart is something to strive for in Islam, and managing to do it is a great achievement. Honestly, memorizing any complete book is pretty impressive.

Compare this article about a Koran school with what you see in the video. See what I mean? 99% sure that that's what we're looking at here. Also check out this video of kids memorizing the Koran at a rural Madrassa in Bangladesh.

I'm an atheist, but I can see that this memorisation can do good in that it creates experts that don't rely on what they're being told by preachers.

Example, not a FOAF but an F story: A kid that is being tutored by a friend of mine was invited to a sort of "Koran study group" by a muslim preacher. About 15 minutes in, the kid realised that what the preacher was saying was utter BS and not to be found anywhere in the Koran, so he confronted him. He was immediately uninvited. He nevertheless returned the next week, listened for a bit, interrupted the preacher and said "No. It doesn't say that in the Koran. The sura you say you're quoting actually says this... (insert quote)... and because you'll say I'm lying, I brought a copy of the Koran. Look it up. You're full of it, and I'm leaving."
He got up and left... and so did fifteen of his friends, leaving the preacher red-faced and with only about seven people. That's what creating experts can do to ill-informed religious and possibly fundamentalist religious preaching.

So, rather than accusing these kids of "anti-American recitation", remember that it might be something very very different and something that might benefit them and their surroundings. This is the sort of thing that creates ill-defined fears of "Arabs" and "Muslims" in general, and I'm sure someone fluent in Arabic would have commented to that effect on the video -- if the uploader had not, tellingly, disabled ratings and comments.

Sorry about the length, but this is looking very, very weird to me -- not the content of the video itself, that looks fairly common -- but the subtitles that don't seem to go with the situation at all. It looks to me like an abuse of the fact that people may have to rely entirely on subtitles and automatically assume that they're truthful.

EDIT: Just found something that probably confirms my suspicion. Every chapter of the Koran except one begin with the phrase "bismillah ir rahman ir rahim" ("in the name of God, most gracious, most compassionate"). Surprise: that's the first line sung by both kids shown in the video... and that the subtitles say mean "The Kenyan muslim" and "soon we change America" respectively.

Last edited by Page Three; 23 October 2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Extra info!
Old 13 October 2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: Is this video real ....Muslim children singing about Obama??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08iomNFrzU4
According to the YouTube poster's note:

Quote:
I learned everything I know about film editing from Michael Moore.
Since the YouTube video creator is far right wing, Michael Moore = faked. We are supposed to realize that the children are not chanting the words in the captions.

Does that make it OK? No way! This video is anti-Islamic incitement and as close to child abuse as you can get without touching the kid physically. Can you imagine the outcry if a child of mine was in a foreign language video where he was, with a big nasty wink, depicted as a future suicide bomber?

If I was a Google executive and saw this video, it would be promptly taken down.

Last edited by Steve Eisenberg; 13 October 2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 13 October 2009, 01:51 AM

First, a technical note. I have no idea how I stumbled across this almost year old thread in order to re-open it with #5. But I don't think it was talked out the first time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
So, when Obama is done being President, and America is still standing, and none of the horror stories these loons predicted ever came to pass, can we expect a humble, profuse, large-scale apology?
The closest we will come is when some of them complain about the next GOP being a RINO and practically as bad as Obama was.

Ideally, the YouTube poster should apologize for misidentifying Barack Obama as a Muslim Kenyan. However, when you run for public office, you have to expect to be unfairly ridiculed. I focus on what the video did to those kids, as they did not sign up to run for POTUS.
Old 13 October 2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eisenberg View Post
The closest we will come is when some of them complain about the next GOP being a RINO and practically as bad as Obama was.

Ideally, the YouTube poster should apologize for misidentifying Barack Obama as a Muslim Kenyan. However, when you run for public office, you have to expect to be unfairly ridiculed. I focus on what the video did to those kids, as they did not sign up to run for POTUS.
I agree. Those kids deserve better than to be exploited as political tools.