snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 17 October 2008, 05:14 AM

Default Pets stolen, used as bait in dogfights

I was on another website the other day, and someone posted about their dog almost being stolen. Someone else chimed in that small dogs and cats are often stolen to be used as bait in dogfights.

Is this an urban myth? I did a quick search here, but couldn't find anything - maybe I used the wrong key words.

I did a quick Google, and it seems that some people believe that this does happen - ie the Scottish SPCA.

http://www.itchmo.com/scottish-spca-...ting-bait-2021

It sounds too horrible to be true - yet horrible enough to be true.

I have also heard that in October, people will adopt black cats from shelters, and then sacrifice them. Or they return the cat a couple of days after Halloween, because they wanted the cat as "decoration"

I know that there are a lot of nutters out there - but this has got to be an urban myth surely.
Old 17 October 2008, 01:48 PM

Mouse

I have no idea as to the validity of the claim that pets are stolen for baiting but I was once told at the Humane Society pets are stolen for such. The HS rep told me that they'll suddenly get reports of large numbers of missing animals in the same vicinity. She hinted to me they go after non-aggressive breeds such as golden retrievers and old english sheepdogs. The latter, of course, making the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. I'd be interested in knowing if this is just rumor, myself.

I was so freaked out by the HS rep's report that I became paranoid for several months, constantly checking my OES if she was out in the yard.
Old 17 October 2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
I have also heard that in October, people will adopt black cats from shelters, and then sacrifice them. Or they return the cat a couple of days after Halloween, because they wanted the cat as "decoration"
I don't know if this is true, but the myth of sacrificing black cats at Halloween is strong enough in some areas that some shelters won't adopt out black cats during the month of October. When I adopted Chase back in November 1997, I'd been told that they had to hold on to him during the entire month because of that legend. Unfortunately, they couldn't extend his time, which meant he only had a few days left when he made me his slave--err, when I adopted him....

Magdalene
Old 17 October 2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
I don't know if this is true, but the myth of sacrificing black cats at Halloween is strong enough in some areas that some shelters won't adopt out black cats during the month of October.
As the Servant of a pure black kitty, I do keep a close eye on her during October.

I can just imagine some dumb-butt getting drunk, remembering those myths, and doing something nasty to her.

Overreaction? Perhaps. But better safe than sorry, IMHO.

Totally OT, but: OMG! It's RATTIE BACKGROUND! Des cuties!
Old 17 October 2008, 03:06 PM

Hello Kitty

25 or so years ago, we had three black cats that were kept inside during the Hallow's Eve time period, much to the displeasure of the Super Massive one, who was very vocal about it.

I don't know about pets getting stolen for baiting, or for sale to labs, or whatever, but I would not put it past someone who fights dogs to do that if the opportunity is there, and is easy.
Old 17 October 2008, 03:09 PM

I saw a Law & Order a while ago that opened with a couple's dog being stolen to be used as a bait dog. No idea which headline they ripped that particular scene from.
Old 17 October 2008, 03:10 PM

Dog

When I lived in Chicago, it wasn't uncommon to see people tie up their dogs while they went into a cafe to pick up a coffee (or to tie them up out of some kind of shop while they went in). If I had the time, I would stand around and make sure that the dog's owner (based on the reaction from the dog) came and got them because a police officer once stopped me on a walk with my own dog and warned me that someone was stealing dogs in the area to use for baiting.

The whole ideas of dog fighting is just horrifying to me.

Also, just from my experience, a friend of mine couldn't adopt her black cat until November, too.
Old 17 October 2008, 06:51 PM

I suspect that this is a UL, and it was the basis for an episode of Lou Grant, which could have fed the legend.

The reason that I suspect it is a legend, is that it's a risky way for someone involved in an illegal activity to procure animals, and these people want to stay under the radar. Since there are lots of other ways to obtain animals without the risk, I think it probably doesn't happen much. It may occasionally, when it's a crime of opportunity, which is to say, you probably shouldn't let your pets run loose, but I seriously doubt someone would steal one from your yard or car. If the person happened to get caught, a whole dogfighting operation could be exposed.

With ads in the paper for animals "free to good home," and rabbits and such essentially free once you have gotten a trap, there's probably no need to steal. Much less stealing dogs that are recognized breeds, and probably cost someone money, putting a dollar value on them that could bump the theft to a felony.
Old 17 October 2008, 07:16 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post

I know that there are a lot of nutters out there - but this has got to be an urban myth surely.
This one has a somewhat inconclusive snopes page: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/blackcat.asp

It seems as though the myth is strong and the evidence is weak. Maybe animal mutilations go up slightly around Hallowe'en, but it may also be a sort of confirmation/attribution fallacy.

erwins
Old 18 October 2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
This one has a somewhat inconclusive snopes page: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/blackcat.asp

It seems as though the myth is strong and the evidence is weak. Maybe animal mutilations go up slightly around Hallowe'en, but it may also be a sort of confirmation/attribution fallacy.

erwins
In the town in Oklahoma where I lived for several years, it was "common knowledge" that in the 1980s cats were routinely sacrificed by devil worshippers in a small nature reserve located behind a middle school. I heard the story throughout middle and high-school from pious teachers and classmates who'd heard it from their parents, as evidence of the influence of Satan in our small berg (the words "homosexual agenda" were oft to pop up in these conversations).

I later found out from a police officer that the reality was, of course, vastly different from what I'd heard in school: There had been one cat killing; only three teens had participated; it beloned to one of the teens, and had not been kidnapped; the only involvement of Satan was some black metal music being played during; and the motive had not been ritual sacrifice, but the fact that all three teens were blitzed on amphetamines.

But "drugged up kids kill cat" doesn't quite carry the same panic-inducing ring, eh?
Old 18 October 2008, 03:51 AM

We had a dog stolen from our yard for dog fights. She had a litter of pups and was on a runner lead in the yard and someone let themselves in, took her and left the puppies. We know for certain it was to take her and make her into a fighting dog as someone who knew my parents saw her with someone who was known to participate in fights and she was all beaten up and scarred.
Old 18 October 2008, 07:04 AM

Yow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange84 View Post
We know for certain it was to take her and make her into a fighting dog as someone who knew my parents saw her with someone who was known to participate in fights and she was all beaten up and scarred.
Holy mother of god. Were you able to get her back?
Old 18 October 2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Holy mother of god. Were you able to get her back?
No, and after being trained as a fighting dog we wouldn't have wanted to. It wouldn't have been very safe with us kids around. We kept two of her puppies though and had them until they passed away.
Old 18 October 2008, 07:06 PM

Dog

Quote:
No, and after being trained as a fighting dog we wouldn't have wanted to. It wouldn't have been very safe with us kids around. We kept two of her puppies though and had them until they passed away.
For the record, her being beaten up and scarred doesn't mean that she took to fighting other dogs. There are lots of dogs that won't fight -- that is always part of the horror that is dog fighting (the Michael Vick case is exemplary). Dogs that won't fight are used to "train" other dogs, and/or are killed. (In Vick's case, they were killed in brutal and gruesome ways.)

And, even dogs that have fought are not necessarily unsafe around humans. I'm not saying that just anyone is equipped to deal with potential dog-aggression issues, but dog-aggression and human-aggression are completely separate things. Again using the Vick dogs as an example, after the extensive temperament testing on the dogs seized from his kennels, only one dog was destroyed for human aggressiveness. A number of them were sent to a sanctuary because they had persistent dog-aggressiveness, but, IIRC, more than half were sent to qualified rescues for adoption as happy well-adjusted dogs once they were given humane treatment and some training.

erwins
Old 19 October 2008, 03:16 AM
kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
As the Servant of a pure black kitty, I do keep a close eye on her during October.

I can just imagine some dumb-butt getting drunk, remembering those myths, and doing something nasty to her.

Overreaction? Perhaps. But better safe than sorry, IMHO.
My dad once had a ginger cat and a pure black cat.

The next door neighbours poisoned the black cat and left the ginger one alone. It wouldn't surprise me what hideous things people are capable of doing to defenceless animals including stealing them for dogfights or killing them because 'zomg superstition, teh ebil black cat' etc etc.

Quote:
We had a dog stolen from our yard for dog fights. She had a litter of pups and was on a runner lead in the yard and someone let themselves in, took her and left the puppies. We know for certain it was to take her and make her into a fighting dog as someone who knew my parents saw her with someone who was known to participate in fights and she was all beaten up and scarred.

Wow thats awful. Some humans are just vile and disgusting.
Old 19 October 2008, 03:18 AM
kia

double post
Old 19 October 2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kia View Post
.... or killing them because 'zomg superstition, teh ebil black cat' etc etc.
My MIL just about flipped her lid when I adopted Duo Cat because he was a black cat. She yelled for days, before I finally lost my temper and told her she was being ragingly stupid and needed to get over the black fur. After that she wouldn't say anything about him, but she won't touch him either.

I thought she'd mostly gotten over it, and then we rescued Door Kitten and it started all over again.

*headdesk*

I don't get it. They're black. Big deal. I don't know why black cats go stuck with the bad luck rap, and witches familiar bit. I know plenty of other, brightly colored cats that have caused me more bad luck, injury, and other wickedness in my lifetime. Hell, a friend of mine has a giant orange tabby who we have determined is orange for the same reason poisonous frogs are bright red.
Old 19 October 2008, 03:14 PM

OMG! Cute kitten!

We have a black cat. She our second black cat. When I had my first apartment, I adopted a black kitten I named Irene Dunne. She was a great cat, and lived to be 17. Our current one, Morgan, sort of adopted me. I was at the shelter to drop off some donated stuff, and she jumped on my shoulder, and wouldn't leave me alone. I was there for about 30 minutes, with her on my shoulder. When my business was done, I realized I was taking a kitten home.