snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 13 October 2008, 10:39 PM

Default Photos of Sarah Palin's SAT and IQ scores

This is supposedly a "background report" of some type on Sarah Palin: http://clapboard.org/temp/SarahPalinReport.pdf

No matter what her SAT and IQ scores are, I don't want her to be my vice president, but I'd be really surprised if these were true. (If you don't want to follow the link, it shows SAT verbal 425 and math 416, IQ score 83). When she's talking about issues she is interested in she doesn't sound stupid. Wrong often, but not stupid. And these are awfully low.

The SAT looks like a real SAT form, but there's lots of blurrines. The IQ test doesn't look the same as ones I've seen, though it looks like it could be based off a real result form of some type.

Any photoshop experts care to point out the no doubt obvious photoshop tells?

snoozn
Old 14 October 2008, 12:02 AM

Icon102

This may be helpful,

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/1...717/207/627300

-- Bonnie
Old 14 October 2008, 12:13 AM

Given that an IQ of 83 is in the borderline retarded range, her 400 range scores on the SAT would be an overachievement. Unless she had undiagnosed dyslexia or something when the IQ test was given, I'd be extremely skeptical. I'm not saying she never got this score, but if she was given an mass test in school, with the computer scored pages, and she skipped a line, proceeding to get out of sync and mark the wrong boxes for several questions, she could have scored this without it being a fair assessment of her abilities.

DOYC knows, I'm not Palin fan, and I don't think she's exceptionally brilliant, albeit maybe quicker on her feet than her running mate, or the current chief executive, but I'm not prepared to accept that she's retarded.

Jokes aside, she's an unlikely candidate for having gotten where she is through cover-ups and machinations, which would be necessary if she really were borderline retarded.
Old 14 October 2008, 12:22 AM

83 is pretty high in the borderline range (and definitely out of the mentally retarded range). 85 is low average.
Old 14 October 2008, 12:28 AM

I'm not going to speculate on the authenticity of the link, but IQ has several components, and I've worked with kids who were in the low 80's, and even one that was sitting at 71, that were very quick on their feet. In fact, the kiddo at 71 scored in the high 90's on the verbal part of the assessment, and from talking to him, you'd never know he had any sort of disability. It was when you put a pencil in his hand or asked him to work with numbers that it became very, very apparent that he had significant delays.
Old 14 October 2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Witch View Post
I'm not going to speculate on the authenticity of the link, but IQ has several components, and I've worked with kids who were in the low 80's, and even one that was sitting at 71, that were very quick on their feet. In fact, the kiddo at 71 scored in the high 90's on the verbal part of the assessment, and from talking to him, you'd never know he had any sort of disability. It was when you put a pencil in his hand or asked him to work with numbers that it became very, very apparent that he had significant delays.
Adaptability is at least as important, if not more so, than base IQ.
Old 14 October 2008, 12:40 AM
RoseyDawn

I'd say it is fictional. Reasons:
  1. The title would have included the word 'confidential'
  2. A real background report would include the name of the author;
  3. Would reflect who it was prepared for, e.g. Government Security Office;
  4. Since it contained a lot of confidential information by law it would have had a statement of why reporting confidential information was appropriate, e.g. government security clearance; and
  5. It would have the signature of the preparer.
Old 14 October 2008, 12:59 AM

A couple of things that stood out to me, before I got tired of looking:

- Her Cumulative High school GPA was exactly the same as her last marking period. Possible, but improbable.

- Eloped? Not a legal term and not one which has any real meaning.
Old 14 October 2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Unless she had undiagnosed dyslexia or something when the IQ test was given, I'd be extremely skeptical.
Being dyslexia, I can tell you that the IQ score would have been realy high. Mine test at 149 back in HS. I did not take the SAT but I would imagin that I would score low.
Old 14 October 2008, 08:48 AM

I weas once taught that the only thing an IQ test shows is your ability to solve this particular test, nothing else.
Old 14 October 2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
Being dyslexia, I can tell you that the IQ score would have been realy high. Mine test at 149 back in HS. I did not take the SAT but I would imagin that I would score low.
That's not necessarily true. I've worked with dyslexic students that fell on the low end of the scale, as well as those that fell on the high end. Dyslexia is a separate diagnosis that has nothing to do with intelligence, and can affect people anywhere on the curve.
Old 14 October 2008, 01:07 PM

My point was that if it was a standarized written test given to the whole school, a reading disability that was undiagnosed and unremediated would result in a low score that did not represent the person's general abilities.
Old 14 October 2008, 03:30 PM

Maybe things have changed, but nowadays I'm almost positive that an SAT score is only given in multiples of 10 - so a math score of 416 and even a verbal score of 425 would be impossible.
Old 14 October 2008, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. The dailykos link seems to show that the SAT sheet is at least made up, which probably means the whole "report" is made up.

I hadn't even thought of the "multiples of 10" issue. I took the SAT just a couple of years after Palin would have and I know both my scores were multiples of 10. Also, now that I think of it, Western states usually give the ACT rather than the SAT. Of course students can take both, but you'd think there would be an ACT score in the report too.

I wouldn't put much stock in a single IQ (or any other) score either. Just from the various forums I've seen Palin speak in, I would guess her intelligence is average, while her social abilities are very high. Much more disturbing than IQ, her intellectual curiousity seems pretty low.

snoozn
Old 14 October 2008, 06:28 PM

I would go one better, that her comprehension is probably better than average, in that she can probably read a paragraph and get information and a good sense of it, but yeah, her intellectual curiosity is not especially good (although she's Einstein compared to GWB), and her general knowledge doesn't seem to be what it could be for someone with her abilities. Some of her opinions don't seem well thought out, and I'm not saying that just because I don't agree with them, but because I think even in my disagreement I could present better cases for some of them.

And yeah, I grudgingly admit her social skills seem really good.
Old 14 October 2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseyDawn View Post
I'd say it is fictional. Reasons:
  1. The title would have included the word 'confidential'
  2. A real background report would include the name of the author;
  3. Would reflect who it was prepared for, e.g. Government Security Office;
  4. Since it contained a lot of confidential information by law it would have had a statement of why reporting confidential information was appropriate, e.g. government security clearance; and
  5. It would have the signature of the preparer.
Add to that- Piper was born in 2001 and this is marked received in '03 (Piper is not included) and the list of colleges all say "dropped out"- no real report would say that (it might say "transferred' "did not complete" "withdrew", but not a perjorative term like "dropped out") and about a dozen other things, and the only concusion I can draw is any blog that styles itself as a legitimate factual site would not have posted it (as anything other than a humor piece, natch.)
Old 14 October 2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Witch View Post
That's not necessarily true. I've worked with dyslexic students that fell on the low end of the scale, as well as those that fell on the high end. Dyslexia is a separate diagnosis that has nothing to do with intelligence, and can affect people anywhere on the curve.
I just want to also chime in as one who is dyslexic and agree with Auntie that it is not related to intelligence or capability. I can affect anyone at any intelligence level. It is simply an impairment to reading and writing ability. You could be completely illiterate and have an IQ that beats Stephen Hawking. It could present though as a mental delay, such as doing poorly on tests that require a lot of reading or writing.

And on another tangent. My brother's SAT scores were that low (440 on both sections if I remember right) but it's has nothing to do with his intelligence. I don't know what his IQ is but it's definitely at least average. In fact he's one of the best computer technicians I know of. He just didn't care about the test and only took the SAT because he had to. So maybe Palin was just being lazy or goofing off as well.

I guess all my mad ramblings are trying to say is that test results mean jack squat especially ones from a long time ago.
Old 14 October 2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahungo View Post
Maybe things have changed, but nowadays I'm almost positive that an SAT score is only given in multiples of 10 - so a math score of 416 and even a verbal score of 425 would be impossible.
i don't know when the switch happened, but SAT's at one time did have non-multiple of 10 scores.
Old 15 October 2008, 09:10 PM
Victoria J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
I weas once taught that the only thing an IQ test shows is your ability to solve this particular test, nothing else.
Pretty much.

IQ tests were in any case designed as a tool for diagnosing educational special needs. They should never be used beyond that as far as I'm concerned. I was going to say they aren't indicators of intelligence - but while that's true it doesn't go far enough. IQ simplifies things to the point where the single IQ score suggests a single measurable component for intelligence, which is absolutely ridiculous.

IQ also tests skill at thinking in a typical way. A high IQ shows an exceptional ability to think in a very average way. If someone is intelligent in a non-standard way they may score low.

IQ tests are culturally biased. Any claim that they measure something innate should be laughed out the door - given that proponents of IQ such as Mensa will actually produce information geared to improving your IQ score.

I don't care about Palin (well - I'm a bit scared of her, and I hate what her success seems to say about ideas about women and power. You clearly don't get to rise to State Governor if you aren't highly driven and political, but the right will accept her only because she seems to be an accidentally powerful woman. Grr.) but I get quite worked up about IQ tests, and I hate the idea of even my enemies being judged by them.

Victoria J
Old 16 October 2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria J View Post
IQ tests are culturally biased. Any claim that they measure something innate should be laughed out the door - given that proponents of IQ such as Mensa will actually produce information geared to improving your IQ score.
A letter in New Scientist the other day pointed out that the reason men and women (as groups) average the same on IQ tests is because the tests were carefully designed so that they would do so, because the people designing the tests acknowledged that men and women were equally intelligent and so, if the tests didn't reflect that, then they must be flawed.

This was in the context of the supposed "IQ debate" in that Bell Curve book or whatever, about black people apparently getting lower scores on average than white people. The letter writer asked whether people would endorse a test specifically designed to remove that difference, and if not, why not? (That apparent difference, I should say - I don't know of the validity of the research that found it, and really it's not relevant to the point whether it actually exists anyway. And I know that IQ tests can be studied and learned and scores improved, which wipes out a lot of that argument anyway.)