Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Questionable Quotes

Old 06 October 2008, 08:32 PM

Icon105 Einstein on kissing

Comment: Is it true that Einstein said 'If a man is kissing a pretty girl
while driving safely, he is simply not giving the kiss the attention it
deserves.'
Old 12 October 2008, 04:28 PM

Driver

I have a theory that a lot of these spurious Einstein attributions get started because someone (a columnist, radio personality, etc.) prefaces an anecdote or quip with the phrase, "As some Einstein once said, ... "

Quote:
[Tennessee Ernie Ford] notes that the man who can drive while kissing a pretty girl is not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.

[From Larry Wolters's "Radio TV Gag Bab," The Chicago Daily Tribune, 3 April 1955, Pg. H16.]
Quote:
The current edition of the Hudson Motor Car Co.'s Newsletter contains the information that this safety-first sign appears on the Alaska Highway:

"The man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

[From "Personal Notes," The Washington Post, 24 December 1951, Pg. B8.]
(Other versions hold that the sign appeared in Vermont and elsewhere.)

Quote:
Braddock Motor hints: Never allow a girl to kiss you when you are out driving with her, for if she can drive a car while kissing you, she's not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.

[The Pittsburgh Courier, 24 November 1928, Pg. 6.]
Quote:
"Do you allow Jack to kiss you when you're out motoring with him?
"Never. If a man can drive safely when kissing me, then he's not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

[From The Pittsburgh Courier, 15 January 1927, Pg. 3.]
Quote:
One of our fluffy flappers allows no kissing when she is out riding. She says a man cannot drive a car and give the kiss the attention it deserves.

[From "Pen Points," The Los Angeles Times, 12 June 1924, Pg. A4.]
Quote:
Dorcas -- "Do you ever allow a man to kiss you when you're out motoring with him?
Philippa -- "Never. If a man can drive safely while kissing me, he is not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

[From "Safety First," which appeared in an automotive supplement to the Southtown [Chicago] Economist, 12 March 1924, Pg. 24.]
Old 12 October 2008, 04:44 PM

When my parents were dating, my father sent a letter of complaint to the manufacturer of his car, explaining that the heater only worked when his girlfriend was in the car with him, and he didn't need it then.