snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23 September 2008, 07:07 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,676
Icon605 Presidents who refused salary

Comment: i was told that there were two presdients who refused a salary
and that they were washington and kennedy is that true?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23 September 2008, 07:15 PM
covel
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Washington refused, Kennedy gave his to charity.
http://edition.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/s.../24/pay.raise/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23 September 2008, 07:17 PM
Silas Sparkhammer's Avatar
Silas Sparkhammer Silas Sparkhammer is offline
 
Join Date: 22 September 2000
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 26,843
Whalephant

Given George Washington's fiscal behavior during the Revolutionary War -- exaggerating expenses, etc. -- it seems a big reversal of character for him then to serve the country gratis.

Also, given the way so much of what he did became ironbound tradition, it would seem likely that many of the presidents directly following him would have felt required to do the same.

Silas
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23 September 2008, 07:34 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 108,676
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
Given George Washington's fiscal behavior during the Revolutionary War -- exaggerating expenses, etc. -- it seems a big reversal of character for him then to serve the country gratis.
Given George Washington's fiscal behavior during the Revolutionary War -- sacrificing his personal fortune for the sake of the war effort, etc. -- it doesn't seem a big reversal of character for him then to serve the country gratis.

- snopes
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24 September 2008, 10:12 AM
Embra's Avatar
Embra Embra is offline
 
Join Date: 01 June 2000
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 7,736
Default

I thought payment for elected representatives was a step forward - it stops posts being open only to those who can afford to live off their riches for the duration of their term (I realise the rich have other head starts in this respect).

Presumably Kennedy could easily afford to give away his presidential pay. I mean, it's a nice gesture but it is only a gesture.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24 September 2008, 02:12 PM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck RealityChuck is offline
 
Join Date: 14 November 2003
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 1,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Given George Washington's fiscal behavior during the Revolutionary War -- sacrificing his personal fortune for the sake of the war effort, etc. -- it doesn't seem a big reversal of character for him then to serve the country gratis.
Not entirely. Washington as a general took no salary, but was paid for his expenses, and he had no qualms about padding his expense account. According to colonial records, he submitted a bill for $449,000, a pretty heavy sum in those days. That works out to over $50,000 per year.

When elected president, he again offered to work for expenses only, but Congress wised up and set a regular salary of $25,000.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24 September 2008, 02:51 PM
TB Tabby TB Tabby is offline
 
Join Date: 13 January 2004
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 1,713
Default

Didn't Herbert Hoover turn his salary over to charity too?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24 September 2008, 02:52 PM
Tarquin Farquart's Avatar
Tarquin Farquart Tarquin Farquart is offline
 
Join Date: 20 November 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 16,354
Default

One for the UK contigent here: there was an MP who only took as his wage the average salary. I can't remember his name, but I think he hailed from Coventry...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24 September 2008, 02:58 PM
BringTheNoise's Avatar
BringTheNoise BringTheNoise is offline
 
Join Date: 10 November 2003
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 7,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
One for the UK contigent here: there was an MP who only took as his wage the average salary. I can't remember his name, but I think he hailed from Coventry...
Tommy Sheridan and the rest of the SSP did the same thing in the Scottish Parliament. Can't remember what they did with the rest of the money - I think it went into their party funds, but I'm not certain.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24 September 2008, 08:35 PM
Tantei Kid's Avatar
Tantei Kid Tantei Kid is offline
 
Join Date: 10 March 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,635
Icon605

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Tabby View Post
Didn't Herbert Hoover turn his salary over to charity too?
I thought so too. According to his presidential library some of it went to charity and some of it supplemented salaries of underlings he thought were underpaid.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24 September 2008, 08:43 PM
Tarquin Farquart's Avatar
Tarquin Farquart Tarquin Farquart is offline
 
Join Date: 20 November 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 16,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
Tommy Sheridan and the rest of the SSP did the same thing in the Scottish Parliament.
Sounds plausible. I'll have to find a way of looking this guy up...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24 September 2008, 09:13 PM
candy from strangers candy from strangers is offline
 
Join Date: 16 November 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantei Kid View Post
I thought so too. According to his presidential library some of it went to charity and some of it supplemented salaries of underlings he thought were underpaid.

That's really cool.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.