snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 23 September 2008, 04:21 AM

Yow! Wedding Dress of the Year

http://www.snopes.com/photos/risque/weddingdress.asp
Old 23 September 2008, 05:35 AM
AniMajor

That dress really accentuates her curves.

Her assets to this marriage will be very large.

I guess there's no more danger of her falling out of the dress.

Also, that wedding invitation isn't a photo, which makes me wonder why the designer found it necessary to put a textured paper background on it, when I thought invitations were usually printed on textured paper. If I had designed them, I would've taken an actual picture, or at least screen captured the invitation before printing.
Old 23 September 2008, 06:50 AM

I've seen the invite before, relatively recently. Let's face it, it's not hard at all to knock up one of these on your PC. There's insufficient evidence to suggest this is a real invite that was genuinly sent to anybody's guests.
Old 23 September 2008, 06:57 AM

Icon07

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Fang View Post
There's insufficient evidence to suggest this is a real invite that was genuinly sent to anybody's guests.
It wasn't. It was something somebody mocked up after the wedding photo began circulating.

- snopes
Old 23 September 2008, 01:12 PM
Fun with a 9mm

That dress has GOT to be 'shopped. Who would even consent to MAKE a dress like that?? I wouldn't want anyone to know that monstrosity came out of MY shop!!
Old 23 September 2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun with a 9mm View Post
That dress has GOT to be 'shopped. Who would even consent to MAKE a dress like that?? I wouldn't want anyone to know that monstrosity came out of MY shop!!
Could it be that the top of the dress has flipped down and the bride just hasn't realized it yet and someone took a photo before the "wardrobe malfunction" was corrected?

I have a hard time believing someone would wear such a typical looking gown but with such a revealing bust line.
Old 23 September 2008, 04:26 PM

I reckon Syllavus is right and it has just slipped. Looking between her boobs there seems to be some 'extra' material behind that needn't be there if it were meant to be like that.
Old 23 September 2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
I reckon Syllavus is right and it has just slipped. Looking between her boobs there seems to be some 'extra' material behind that needn't be there if it were meant to be like that.
I agree, that's what it looked like to me as well. I mean, it looks like it would have been a rather chest-accentuating dress even when working properly, but on the other hand, she's obviously a well endowed girl, and when you've got that much to deal with almost any design outside of a victorian high-top is going to show a good amount of cleavage. My conclusion then is that she's just a large busted girl who wore what for her would have been an acceptable (albeit edgey) dress, and unfortunately it malfunctioned just as that picture was taken. Given that, I really feel very sorry for her. I mean, bad enough to have such an embarrassing slip on any day, but on your wedding day? all the worse! And then to have people add commentary like the "invitation" calling you a slut and a whore just because you are naturally endowed, well, that's just really callous, what a terrible thing to do to a woman on her wedding day!
Old 23 September 2008, 04:55 PM

That's on Kutuzovsky prospekt, Moscow.
Old 23 September 2008, 05:02 PM

The first thing...well maybe not the first thing...one of the first things to jump to my mind is that she is not wearing all the dress. With the glass of beverage that she and the guy near her are holding, it appears that she is taking a break.

I may be also be a bit more forgiving of her situation than most, but I don't believe it is her complete dress.
Old 23 September 2008, 05:11 PM

It slipped down, but it just happens to be covering both her nipples completely? And to have slipped down so symmetrically?
Old 23 September 2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
That's how it looked to me at first, but once I look more closely it looks to me more like that's the between the boob material that's normally found on dresses with similar tops. I think her breasts are too heavy for the top and are pushing it down against her torso instead of allowing the top of the dress to stand up as it ought to. I base that thought on the fact that it looks the way I've seen my tank tops look when I lean too far forward or bend over (can't say I have as much holding down the material as she has though!).

ETA: If there were even thin straps I think it would hold the dress and the chest up in a much more flattering, yet still cleave-tastic manner.
Old 23 September 2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthyb View Post
It slipped down, but it just happens to be covering both her nipples completely? And to have slipped down so symmetrically?
I do not think it has slipped, exactly. I think the basic design was for a smaller breasted girl (or one wearing a strapless bra or one of those stick-on bras)and as a result of the breasts being much heavier than the smaller breasted girl, what would have been a not-too-risque dress became much more revealing. I do think it is intentional, though. I think that she bought a pre-made dress for a larger woman to fit her breasts, and had it altered down to that. (I think many bridal dresses are pre-made and altered, not made from scratch for the woman who is buying it.)
Old 23 September 2008, 06:19 PM

It's not slippage...or if it is, then it happened on this dress, too.

Old 23 September 2008, 07:03 PM

I think it looks like the top of the dress is supposed to be pulled up higher but the heavy chest is pulling the top down. I don't know whether the bride is wearing it like that on purpose or it possibly slipped down though. The one in the link does look like there is the same issue.
Old 23 September 2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia View Post
I think it looks like the top of the dress is supposed to be pulled up higher but the heavy chest is pulling the top down. I don't know whether the bride is wearing it like that on purpose or it possibly slipped down though. The one in the link does look like there is the same issue.
That seems about right to me.

It's not flattering on either one of them. I'm all for massive amounts of cleave, but that's just not structurally sound.
Old 23 September 2008, 07:46 PM

My attempt at recreating what the dress might look like if the top weren't folded down so much and if the bride had slightly less, er... weight pulling the top down.

It certainly shows a lot of cleavage still, but I don't think that the dress is meant to look nearly as scandalous as it appears in the original photo.

The second image posted, although similar does show a different dress. I think they are both having the same problem though, ample bosom and a top that's just not supportive enough. I doubt this is how the dresses were meant to look as they would look completely different on a woman with a smaller bust.

I'm still leaning towards a wardrobe malfunction for the top photo as the bride could have recently emerged from the limo and the combination of bending over to get out of the limo and that cut of a dress could have certain led to the above picture.
Old 23 September 2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I thought the people in the foreground looked familiar!

Seriously, I think this an extreme case of "it looked better on the mannequin." I mean, mannequin boobs hardly ever sag.

I also think the woman was amiss in not wearing a strapless bra, but they are very difficult to find in the US if you are more than a 36B. I'm sure the situation is worse in Moscow.
Old 24 September 2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllavus View Post
My attempt at recreating what the dress might look like if the top weren't folded down so much and if the bride had slightly less, er... weight pulling the top down.
I would imagine it probably is supposed to look something like this photo. I know that's not an exact match of the style but it's the closest I could find in a quick search.
Old 24 September 2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joostik View Post
I saw loads of weddings in Russia, and good taste wasn't the most noticeable attribute at some of them. That photo's missing the fleet of stretch Hummers and the bear. (Both of those were taken in St. Petersburg.)