snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Old 19 September 2008, 08:02 PM

Default Their house survived Ike, but it's the only one left

Quote:
CNN - Warren and Pam Adams lost a house to Hurricane Rita in 2005, so it seems they'd be relieved to learn their new home withstood Hurricane Ike.

But not when their house is the only one still standing in their section of Gilchrist, Texas.

Ike's storm surge last week devastated the Bolivar Peninsula town, flattening most of the roughly 200 homes there. The couple's yellow house at the beach -- supported 14 feet off the ground by wooden columns -- was the only house on Gilchrist's Gulf Coast side not to be flattened.

"As we got there, the tears started flowing," Warren Adams, 63, said Thursday after his first visit to the home since evacuating. "There's a yellow house sitting there, but that's all. It was devastating."

It's pretty amazing - literally everything around it was destroyed. Here's a picture (it's in the link too).

I think my sentiments parallel this guy's:
Quote:
"I thought, if I were to ever build a house on the coast, I'm going to contact the guy who built this," Reed said.
That's some house (even if they ultimately do knock it down and rebuild it due to the damage).
Old 19 September 2008, 08:14 PM

They showed a before shot on the news this morning, it made it have even more impact.
Old 19 September 2008, 08:16 PM

No

Holy carp! It looks like everything was just scoured away. I don't see much debris if any - and the road looks completely clear.

There are a couple other structures farther down the road that appear to be mostly intact as well.
Old 20 September 2008, 04:42 AM

Mouse

Why do I have a feeling that this is going to turn up in Glurge Gallery complete with a misspelled message attached proclaiming God's greatness in that he spared that house with no explanation as to why he didn't spare the others?
Old 22 September 2008, 01:56 AM

Well Jesus was the son of a carpenter... and I seem to remember that he was a carpenter himself for a time...
Old 22 September 2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Why do I have a feeling that this is going to turn up in Glurge Gallery complete with a misspelled message attached proclaiming God's greatness in that he spared that house with no explanation as to why he didn't spare the others?
Well that was where the little blind girl had her puppy orphanage, she couldn't evacuate you see because the liberal bus drivers wouldn't allow her to bring her bible with her..

-MB