snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 18 September 2008, 01:04 AM

Blow Your Top Wallet in back pocket causes back problems

Comment: Recently, at a family reunion, I was told by a few of my uncles who had
recently suffered back and leg problems, that one of the worst things you
can do for your back is to keep you wallet in your back pocket.
Presumably, it's because the wallet off-sets your back when you sit down,
which while unnoticeable at first, will lead to long term damage to one's
back.

Ever since, I've been keeping my wallet in my side pocket.
Old 18 September 2008, 01:07 AM

Nah, my leather hamburger has made a wallet-shaped dent in my posterior... such that when my wallet's not there, I feel like I'm sitting lopsided.

Wonko
Old 18 September 2008, 01:41 AM

I've heard this, but I keep my wallet in my side pocket for two other reasons: (1) it's a much less likely target for a pickpocket and (2) it's simply more comfortable to sit down that way.
Old 18 September 2008, 02:14 AM

I sometimes keep my wallet in my back pocket, but I don't really sit on it--I sit more on my thighs than on my butt. Or maybe women's pants pockets sit higher than men's pants pockets?
Old 18 September 2008, 02:33 AM

Australia

Keeping a wallet in your back pocket isn't the issue as such, the issue is actually sitting on your wallet (since not all back pockets are designed the same way, I never notice my wallet in my work pants but my jeans have lower pockets).

Anecdotally I'd say the information given by the uncles in the OP is true. If I sit on my wallet for any length of time it does cause pain in my hip & thigh when I walk afterwards. Mind you, my wallet is typically fat with small change and receipts that I haven't bothered emptying out. I have a very slim leather wallet for "going out" that I don't even notice.

Lastly, even if there isn't a specific health risk I've noticed that sitting on my wallet tends to wreck credit cards and anything like them (my Medicare card, private health card, etc).
Old 18 September 2008, 03:10 AM

Sciatica.

Quote:
Piriformis syndrome
Main article: Piriformis syndrome
In 15% of the population, the sciatic nerve runs through the piriformis muscle rather than beneath it. When the muscle shortens or spasms due to trauma, it can compress or strangle the sciatic nerve beneath the muscle. This cause of sciatic symptoms is piriformis syndrome. This may be the major cause of sciatica when the nerve root is normal.[2]
The risk of self-inflicted sciatica has increased in recent years with the fashion trend of lower-hanging trousers as well as lower-positioning of the pockets. For instance, sitting on a wallet for prolonged hours every day can cause self-inflicted sciatica. [3] Symptoms of numbness and/or pain behind the knee cap are associated with this form of sciatica.
(Bolding mine.)
Old 18 September 2008, 04:34 AM

OK raise your hands if you thought this had more to do with weight (which is not going to be a problem with me) than sitting down!
Old 18 September 2008, 07:51 AM

If your wallet is so low that you are sitting on it, get a belt. If the wallet is thick enough to give you back problems, you can afford the belt.
Old 18 September 2008, 10:06 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
If your wallet is so low that you are sitting on it, get a belt. If the wallet is thick enough to give you back problems, you can afford the belt.
It entirely depends on the design. The back pockets in the trousers I wear for work are small/high enough that I can have my wallet in there and not sit on it when I sit down (unless I'm slumping in a couch or something). My jeans though have quite deep back pockets or the positioning is different and my wallet is very much underneath me when I sit down.

I wear a belt with my jeans
Old 18 September 2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
OK raise your hands if you thought this had more to do with weight (which is not going to be a problem with me) than sitting down!
Oooh, me sir, me!

My first thought was "What the hell are these people keeping in their wallets? Give to charity!".
Old 18 September 2008, 10:30 AM

Ponder

Quote:
'That' explains why all you Scandinavians have your jeans buckled up over your midriffs

Old 18 September 2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
'That' explains why all you Scandinavians have your jeans buckled up over your midriffs
Nope, we do that to show off the contents better.
Old 18 September 2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I was told by a few of my uncles who had
recently suffered back and leg problems, that one of the worst things you
can do for your back is to keep you wallet in your back pocket.
Sounds like someone is getting their medical advice from old episodes of Seinfeld.
Old 18 September 2008, 06:45 PM

Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Sounds like someone is getting their medical advice from old episodes of Seinfeld.
That advice goes far, far beyond Seinfeld.
Old 18 September 2008, 06:55 PM

Icon605

Hubby's wallet causes my back to hurt at times. As it gets lighter, the bags get heavier. At least until we get out of the store and to the car. Then the kids usually carry stuff in when we get home.
Old 19 September 2008, 02:14 AM

Australia

Quote:
Nope, we do that to show off the contents better.
Male cameltoes are never sexy (mind you, I don't find them sexy on women either).

ETA: Link is SFW... but just remember that you can never "unsee" something.
Old 19 September 2008, 05:51 AM

Our chriopractor told my husband this was a big issue in back pain, and a wallet should never be carried in the back pocket. This may have been opinion, but I can see the reasonale
Old 30 October 2008, 05:49 PM
PointySextant

I was actually dvised against keeping a small reporters pad moleskein in my back pocket by my doctor. Her explanation was that when sitting down, aside from any other problem that might result, the uneven posture would have the potential to do long term damage to my back and spine as you're ass is meant to be relatively even when you sit. I just bought a second note pad, but based on my dotors advice, I am willing to believe this is not an old wives tale.
Old 01 November 2008, 10:25 PM

well, I know for me, (I have had back problems due to high school football injuries) that if I have a wallet that's too thick, (too many cards, too much cash...) that my back does hurt when that's on. it pinches my sciatic and it can cause me much pain. unfortunately I don't like my wallet in the front pockets, (old habits die hard) so I keep my wallet small and light. and so far that has worked for me. it really depends on what you sit down on though, nice soft car seats i don't even feel it, hard benches, I have to take it out...
which does lend credence to the "posture" argument. i think the thinner wallet spreads out my butt fat, to keep my posture normal...
Old 11 November 2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
Male cameltoes are never sexy (mind you, I don't find them sexy on women either).

ETA: Link is SFW... but just remember that you can never "unsee" something.
Thank you, I had to splash some bacardi 151 in my eyes to remove that image.

I've sat on my wallet, which is rather thick all day for a few days ina row while driving cross country and it never bothered me. Guess I'm lucky or something.