snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 15 September 2008, 10:07 PM

Shout Biden's 1st wife killed by drunk driver?

Comment: To call Senator Biden pitiful is an understatement. For anyone to try to
win votes by lying about his wife & baby dying is a disgrace. Twice he
told the story how his family was killed by a drunken truck driver in New
Jersey in 1972. He is trying to get sympathy votes. The true stoty is his
wife failed to stop at a redlight/stoplight & got hit broadside by a
truck. The truck drivers family is infuriated by his statement. ( the
driver passed away in 1999 ) The district attorney in NJ has provided
court documents totally exonerating the truck driver, stating the truck
driver was in no way responsible for the crash & no alcohol was present.
To lie about the death of someone, for your own gain is lower than low.
Just an example of what politician will stoop to to get elected.
Old 15 September 2008, 10:19 PM

Here're a few things I found:

link

Quote:
Joe Biden, who turned 30 in late November, was in Washington to set up his Senate office. Neilia Biden, 30, was at the wheel with their three young children – three-year-old Beau Biden, now the state’s Democratic attorney general, two-year-old Hunter Biden, now a lawyer in Washington, and 13-month-old Amy Biden.

The tractor-trailer was heading toward Pennsylvania on Limestone Road when it broadsided the station wagon, sending it spinning for 150 feet, breaking the windshield and crushing in a rear door, while the truck itself skidded for 20 feet and landed on its side, according to The News Journal, which was printed in two editions in those days as The Morning News and the Evening Journal.

Old campaign literature littered the road, along with the truck’s load of corncobs. Dunn, the truck driver, heaved himself out of the wreckage and was the first to get to the station wagon, the newspaper said.

Neilia and Amy Biden died from the crash. Hunter Biden sustained head injuries. Beau Biden had a broken leg that kept him in the hospital beyond the start of the Senate’s new term, leading their broken-hearted father to decide to take his oath of office in the hospital chapel and to vacillate about whether he should be sworn in at all.

“We can always get another senator, but they can’t get another father,” he said.

The state police investigated the accident. The concern then was not that Dunn would get away with anything as serious as drunken driving, but that he could get railroaded. He had plowed into the family of a United States senator, after all.

As the chief deputy attorney general, Jerome Herlihy was assigned to the incident. Two days later, he issued his report, clearing Dunn.

A story headlined, “No Charges Due for Trucker in Biden Deaths,” in the Evening Journal read: “[Herlihy] said there was no evidence that [Dunn] was speeding, drinking or driving a truck with faulty brakes. In addition, Herlihy said, witnesses to the crash near Hockessin provided no basis for a prosecution.”
link

Quote:
Alcohol didn't play a role in the 1972 crash, investigators found. But as recently as last week, the syndicated TV show Inside Edition aired a clip from 2001 of Biden describing the accident to an audience at the University of Delaware and saying the truck driver "stopped to drink instead of drive."

The senator's statements don't jibe with news and law enforcement reports from the time, which cleared driver Curtis C. Dunn, who died in 1999, of wrongdoing.
Old 15 September 2008, 10:37 PM
RoseyDawn

Until this thread, I had a lot of respect for Sen. Biden as well as trust in his veracity. This sows some very serious doubts as to veracity and loss of respect in general.

Part of me wonders if he really believes what he is saying. Shortly before Christmas his wife and infant daughter are killed in a tragic auto accident; his sons injured. I can comprehend someone might form an opinion that their beloved wife could not possibly have been at fault and that therefore the trucker must have been drunk/speeding/faulty brakes and during the ensuing weeks never actually bring themselves to reviewing what really happened because it is so emotionally wrenching.

Years pass and those original thoughts take on the guise of reality in his mind.

But even my hypothetical scenario is discomforting for me. It is hard for me to believe a man with his background would never revisit the records to determine what really happened before using it as part of a campaign.

I do feel sorry for him, for the loss of his wife and infant daughter, for the concern for his sons, and for him if he has deluded himself into believing what he is saying. For him because if he did delude himself, now after all these years he has to confront the truth and do so in the public spotlight. Or, if he is intentionally lying, then I feel sorry for him that he is that desperate to go for a pity-party on the U.S. Voters.
Old 15 September 2008, 10:59 PM
LeeSpike

NPR originally echoed the similar claim that the driver was drunk but they issued a correction:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=93922100
Old 16 September 2008, 03:33 PM

Good work, Ryda. I, too, had heard about his family being killed by a DD and never really thought much about it. Turns out it was just a tragic accident. I'm not a big fan of Biden but I (I don't think I have) haven't seen any evidence of him looking for simpathy votes.
Old 16 September 2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
But as recently as last week, the syndicated TV show Inside Edition aired a clip from 2001 of Biden describing the accident to an audience at the University of Delaware and saying the truck driver "stopped to drink instead of drive."
The words "as recently as last week" are a bit disingenuous. Biden didn't make the comment last week, he made it 7 years ago.
Old 16 September 2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSpike View Post
NPR originally echoed the similar claim that the driver was drunk but they issued a correction:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=93922100
Quote:
Correction: Earlier versions of this story said that a drunk driver was responsible for the deaths of Sen. Biden's wife and daughter. There is no evidence that the driver was drunk.
No evidence that he was drunk, or no evidence that he was drinking? Because the legal limit in 1972 was quite a bit higher than the legal limit today.
However, if the guy wasn't charged with DUI/DWI, it's irresponsible to refer to him as a drunk driver.
Old 16 September 2008, 03:59 PM

I don't understand how this could be an attempt to win votes. Would anyone vote for the guy because they felt sorry for him because his wife and child died in a horrible drunk-driving accident but not vote for him because they felt sorry for him because his wife and child died in a horrible sober-driving accident? Exactly what demographic of voters would he be supposedly aiming for here?
Old 16 September 2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
I don't understand how this could be an attempt to win votes. Would anyone vote for the guy because they felt sorry for him because his wife and child died in a horrible drunk-driving accident but not vote for him because they felt sorry for him because his wife and child died in a horrible sober-driving accident? Exactly what demographic of voters would he be supposedly aiming for here?
Those in favor of tougher drunk driving laws might think that someone who lost a loved one to a drunk driver would be more likely to favor their cause.
Old 16 September 2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
If I had to guess, since he was speaking to a group at the University of Delaware, it probably had more to do with warning students about the dangers of drinking. Distorting the facts about the accident that claimed much of his family may be disingenuous, but if the reason he did so enlightened some and saved lives, I'm willing to cut him some slack. If he did it to get votes, not so much.

Seeing as though he was elected in 2002 58% - 40%, that his senate seat was considered one of the "safe seats" for Democrats, I doubt he did it to score points.
Old 16 September 2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
Those in favor of tougher drunk driving laws might think that someone who lost a loved one to a drunk driver would be more likely to favor their cause.
Bit of a stretch, isn't it? It entails thinking that someone who'd lost loved ones in a car accident wouldn't favor laws designed to keep the roads safer unless it was specifically to avoid the same kind of accident, and the candidate knowing this and catering to it by pretending the accident he'd lost loved ones in was exactly the same.
Old 16 September 2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
As opposed to all those pro-drunk driving legislators? Unless Biden was running against Adolph Coors or Johnny Budweiser, this issue wouldn't be enough to sway some 40K voters his way.
Old 16 September 2008, 05:01 PM

Not saying this was his intent, but the 'being sworn in anyway to serve my country' angle plays better when the tragedy is the other guy's fault.

Wonko
Old 16 September 2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post
Not saying this was his intent, but the 'being sworn in anyway to serve my country' angle plays better when the tragedy is the other guy's fault.
Not to me. The accident couldn't possibly have been Biden's fault, since he wasn't in the car. And it's not like his then-very-young sons would have needed their father any less if the accident had been their mother's fault, or nobody's fault.