snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13 August 2008, 04:32 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 107,977
Icon18 Kay Arthur predicts famine?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/kayarthur.asp
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13 August 2008, 10:54 AM
Pseudo_Croat
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Being a person in the agricultural field, I can say that the chances of a famine in a developed country like America are practically nil. Modern agriculture is so high-yielding that it can resist the usual disasters that normally trigger famines. Nowadays, the only places you're likely to see famine either have less-sophisitcated means of farming, tyrannical leaders, or both.

The Bible has warned us time and again of false prophets. It has also warned us to use discernment. Let us do both.

- Pseudo_Croat
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13 August 2008, 11:00 AM
Towknie's Avatar
Towknie Towknie is offline
 
Join Date: 25 September 2005
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 5,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo_Croat View Post
the chances of a famine in a developed country like America are practically nil.
Crap! And here I've been up all night building my hoarding silos!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13 August 2008, 11:52 AM
Natalie Natalie is offline
 
Join Date: 15 January 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 2,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
She said to
read Ezekiel 14 over and over until you understand it. This is what
God will do if a country turns against Him.
Ah yes, fundie Christian love. Countries experiencing food shortages deserve it, because their sinners!

Last edited by Natalie; 13 August 2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: word choice
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13 August 2008, 12:45 PM
damian's Avatar
damian damian is offline
 
Join Date: 14 April 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,259
Default

Quote:
3. Pray- Jer 36:7- Pray fervently, passionately for America.
But don't you dare pray for any other country!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13 August 2008, 12:51 PM
A Cat Named Easter's Avatar
A Cat Named Easter A Cat Named Easter is offline
 
Join Date: 19 August 2005
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 541
Default

Nothing about what might cause the famine or what we might do to avert it of course, because it's simply God's will. An itemized list of how to prepare without a single practical thing on it. I guess if God intends for you to suffer in the famine, you'll just suffer. Otherwise, he'll take care of you so don't bother with preparing. Better hope you pray hard enough!

Minor nitpik: Items 2-6 have an action item, then a biblical reference. Why is this reversed for item 1? Also, I guess there aren't any biblical references for getting enough rest?

Major nitpik: If the letter was written by Beth Moore and published by Pastor Joel, why does she list Beth Moore as one of the "internationally known speakers" at the conference? Are there two Beth Moores? Is one the mirror image of the other? Maybe this letter was written by the Anti-Beth Moore!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13 August 2008, 12:51 PM
Friends of Alfred's Avatar
Friends of Alfred Friends of Alfred is offline
 
Join Date: 11 November 2004
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 4,068
Default

Quote:
I was particularly convicted here because I know I have not been as deeply in His Word as I need to be. She said we must get serious about this.
Quote:
(she used the word calamity in such a way that you knew this is going to be no small thing for our country)
Quote:
Introduce people to Jesus Christ. It's time to get serious about this.
Mad as a bag of rocks.

Friends of (we must get serious about this) Alfred.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13 August 2008, 04:40 PM
Canuckistan's Avatar
Canuckistan Canuckistan is offline
 
Join Date: 27 March 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 30,099
Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
Countries experiencing food shortages deserve it, because their sinners!
Because their sinners what?

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13 August 2008, 11:14 PM
Natalie Natalie is offline
 
Join Date: 15 January 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 2,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
Because their sinners what?

Because their sinners made me choose the wrong there/their/they're. (Actual cause: posting before morning coffee.)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13 August 2008, 11:35 PM
Pseudo_Croat
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I would love to see Mrs. Arthur's sources re: rice rationing at Wal-Mart and bad weather forcing wheat prices up.

Also, if famine is one of "God's punishments" for an unfaithful country, then why were all the famines that occurred in Communist countries deliberately set (e. g. Ukraine, 1930's)?

- Pseudo_Croat
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14 August 2008, 12:53 AM
Ana Ng's Avatar
Ana Ng Ana Ng is offline
 
Join Date: 16 August 2000
Location: Babylon, NY
Posts: 14,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towknie View Post
Crap! And here I've been up all night building my hoarding silos!
Silo party at Townkie's house! I'll bring the ladder and the PBR!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14 August 2008, 02:47 AM
Canuckistan's Avatar
Canuckistan Canuckistan is offline
 
Join Date: 27 March 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 30,099
Shout

From snopes' link to the main site:

Quote:
In other words, we are inviting a famine because famine is one of the Lord's judgments on a nation that commits unfaithfulness.
What a horrible, vile thing to say. "We want you to suffer until you say nice things about my deity!"

Tell ya what: if there's ever a food shortage, I suggest you starve for the Lord.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14 August 2008, 06:28 AM
Starla's Avatar
Starla Starla is offline
 
Join Date: 20 January 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 9,625
Default

snopes- Were you able to contact Beth Moore to find out if the original email actually came from her? I didn't see reference to that in your article and Kay Arthur's website just says the email came from "a precious woman."

Just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15 August 2008, 02:48 AM
kern
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
What a horrible, vile thing to say. "We want you to suffer until you say nice things about my deity!"
One of the ways to deal with the difficult theology of the Old Testament is to accept that all the plagues, wars, etc. that God inflicted on various cities and lands were fully justified as punishment for sin. Ergo, because it was divine justice, God should be praised for these plagues, wars, etc. This is a major part of the Phelps brand of Christianity; you don't see it pop up too often, though.

But it makes sense that if you think a famine would be divine justice, then you should hope for it to happen the same way that you would hope a murderer gets a jail sentence.

It's no wonder more churches don't do that, I can't see that as being a popular theology to draw in the worshippers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.