snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 11 August 2008, 05:15 AM

Shout Who Is This Man?

Those of you who consider yourself to be a Christian need to listen to Obama in this short video about the Bible.

This is pretty amazing!

The Bible according to OBAMA the savior

http://www.phforamerica.com

Open the link above and scroll down to the video. Watch and listen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11 August 2008, 05:26 AM

I wish I could vote 100 times for Obama now. I don't consider myself to be a Christian, though, so I shouldn't have even clicked on the link.
Old 11 August 2008, 05:43 AM

The guy who made that ad could easily have shaved off one minute of his commentary without losing his point- it would probably become clearer.

The average American does not know what is in the Bible. It's ridiculous to insinuate that Obama is taking the Bible out of context and then go on to say that Jesus would never have us turn the other cheek to terrorists. Really? Because I'd say it's a much bigger distortion to say that Jesus definitely would have said something other than "turn the other cheek" and "blessed is the peace maker" than it is to say that the defense department would not fare well if we took those words to heart.

If anything, to me, the guy just proved Obama's point. How can we allow the Bible to dictate public policy when Christians can't even agree on what the Bible says?
Old 11 August 2008, 05:43 AM

Lovely, another example of things taken out of context. This is just one more reason why I wish I could vote 100 times for anyone but Obama.
Old 11 August 2008, 05:46 AM

Because his speeches will be taken out of context?
Old 11 August 2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Redhead View Post
Lovely, another example of things taken out of context. This is just one more reason why I wish I could vote 100 times for anyone but Obama.
What do you think was taken out of context? The ad guy's commentary? Obama's words? What is "this" reason that you wish you could vote multiple times for not-Obama? Your reason isn't clear. Could you please elaborate?
Old 11 August 2008, 05:55 AM

Someone doesn't know how to pronounce "condescendingly".

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
I wish I could vote 100 times for Obama now.
Move to Chicago. Vote as many times as you want. (I kid, I kid; Chicago hasn't had voter fraud issues for years. Well...months.)
Old 11 August 2008, 05:55 AM

Before I even got to view the video, I could tell what kind of thing it would be. Multiple text sizes and fonts with lots of capital letters and underlines is a hallmark of a certain kind of website.

Quote:
pH For AMERICA.COM IS HOPING TO BECOME THE “SWIFTBOAT” 527 organization OF 2008
I didn't realize that anyone thought that was a good thing to be.

Quote:
OBAMA’S FRINGE OUT-OF-THE-MAINSTREAM VOTING RECORD, INCLUDING HIS BEING THE ONLY “NAY” VOTE IN THE LEGISLATURE TO VOTE AGAINST DENYING SEXUAL PREDATORS EARLY RELEASE.
I'm sure that's exactly what the bill did.

ETA: And the scales at the top. A lot of loon organizations pretend that they're for "justice."

Last edited by lord_feldon; 11 August 2008 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11 August 2008, 05:59 AM

Goat

Quote:
And if John McCain were caught NFBSKing a goat, that would be another reason not to vote for Obama. Who wants a president who only got into office because he was better than a goat NFBSKer?

- snopes
Old 11 August 2008, 06:04 AM

My keyboard has shorted out from the spittle which has fallen on it.
Old 11 August 2008, 07:32 AM
Mrs. Matthews

Here is a video that shows a much better example of Obama's speech. I looked it up because I wanted to know the true context of his statements. In the true context, what he is saying makes PERFECT sense. I am a Christian, and I completely agree with him (although that may be because I am one of the Christians who actually understands the separation of church and state - we do exist!).

ETA- I second the desire to vote for Obama 100 times. I have been in love with him since he first started running!
Old 11 August 2008, 03:05 PM

Heck that speech might just get me to vote for him. (I said might)

What does '527 ad' mean?
Old 11 August 2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdog View Post
Heck that speech might just get me to vote for him. (I said might)

What does '527 ad' mean?
527 is the section of the tax code that regulates tax exempt political organizations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/527_group
Old 11 August 2008, 03:37 PM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
The average American does not know what is in the Bible. It's ridiculous to insinuate that Obama is taking the Bible out of context and then go on to say that Jesus would never have us turn the other cheek to terrorists.
My thoughts exactly. How do you know what Jesus would have said about terrorists? And wait, wait.... where were the 9/11 terrorists from, again? Was it the country we're at war with right now?

I am also interested to listen to Obama's whole speech to see it in context (thanks for the link, Mrs. M). But even in the little examples in this ad, I don't see how Obama was mocking the Bible in any way, shape, or form. Leviticus and Deuteronomy do say what he said they do. How does it matter that the ten commandments are also in Deuteronomy? And clearly, he was not mocking the Sermon on the Mount, but the Department of Defense.

It's scary to me that there are people out there who are completely taken in by this sort of ad.

Fan "my signature line gives me away as a heathen, doesn't it?" tine
Old 11 August 2008, 09:08 PM

This brings to mind an episode of "The Boondocks" based on the supposition that Martin Luther King did not die, but was put into a coma when he was shot. When he awoke in today's society he was asked his feelings about the terrorist threat and he replied somehting like, "the Bible tells us to turn the other cheek". He was immediately ostrasized for "hating America" and being a traitor.
Old 11 August 2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
I'm sure that's exactly what the bill did.
It's apparently a reference to an Illinois law (SB 485), which "removes "good time" behavior benefits for county jail inmates if convicted of criminal sexual abuse, aggravated criminal sexual abuse, or criminal sexual assault in which the victim was under 18 years of age at the time of the offense and the victim was a family member." I'm mildly curious as to why Obama voted against it, but I doubt it's part of some sort of nefarious plot.

ETA: This is the bill in question. If I'm reading it correctly (which is a big if because it's not explained well), the bill passed with 116 in favor and one abstention. Assuming that the one abstention is in fact Barack Obama, that's a far cry from voting against the bill. Someone who has done more research in this area please correct me if I've interpreted this wrong.

Last edited by Natalie; 11 August 2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11 August 2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
This brings to mind an episode of "The Boondocks" based on the supposition that Martin Luther King did not die, but was put into a coma when he was shot. When he awoke in today's society he was asked his feelings about the terrorist threat and he replied somehting like, "the Bible tells us to turn the other cheek". He was immediately ostrasized for "hating America" and being a traitor.
I remember that episode and miss that show dearly. I think DD was about 4 when it was on. She once asked, "Why are the Boondocks always so angry?"
Old 12 August 2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towknie View Post
I remember that episode and miss that show dearly.
It's available on DVD, and Cartoon Network shows it on Adult Swim.
Old 12 August 2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
Assuming that the one abstention is in fact Barack Obama, that's a far cry from voting against the bill.
A present vote is a no vote in all but name in Illinois. Bills require a majority of all votes cast to pass (a bill getting 51 in favor, 50 opposed, and 2 present would not pass).
Old 12 August 2008, 02:05 AM

United States

Quote:
Including Hillary Clinton?