snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08 July 2008, 05:21 PM
zabia's Avatar
zabia zabia is offline
 
Join Date: 04 April 2005
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 873
Icon27 Big Brother is spying through your TV

Hello everyone. I just got this from my mother. She asked if it was real. Though it says "from the net" there is no hint from what website.


From the net:


Here's an interesting thought.
Why are we being MADE, to go digital.

Do yourself a favour and get a loud speaker, plug it into the
microphone socket, now speak into it, yes it will record. Now look at
your digital TV.
Do the same with a microphone and plug it into the speaker socket. Yes
you can hear the sound coming from it.

What does this mean?
The authorities will have a microphone in the corner of every room in
ever city, town and village. This cannot be achieved using analogue
signals to your analogue TV, now can it?
Be careful what you say when we are all digital and it doesn't matter
if your equipment is switched off either.

Cable or the digital feed works both ways. They pipe programmes to you
and the receive audio from your lounge.

I live in an area where the monitoring stations are, that is mobile or
cell phone conversations. NO conversation EVER gets deleted. I KNOW
from personal experience. No email gets deleted, same thing. There are
not enough computers or computing power to hold this information.
I was an employee if ICL / Fujitsu. I know of the several 'BEASTS'
super computers. Remember the PC one has now, that is the LATEST on
the public market is 10 to 15 years behind technology if not more.
Ones couple of hundred gigabytes pales into significance in comparison
to what is out there. plus if you are connected to broadband they can
allocate space on your disk for their purposes.
Ever get the message 'Quick time requires 10 k of storage ...'
10K * 1 billion people is a lot of space, although this is not in the
same league you get the point.

So people take your TV, Radio and place them gently in to that black
receptacle that the local refuse department empty every week or
fortnight and reintroduce yourself to your wife, husband, children,
boy / girl friend, friends and acquaintances.
I know you will thank me for it later.

Makes you think doesn't it!

Namaste,


I replied off the top of my head a few things that I thought wrong with their logic. But I was hoping y'all could fill me in on facts.




Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08 July 2008, 05:35 PM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 23,059
Default

Are they saying that because a microphone plugged into a microphone socket makes sound come out of the speakers, then a speaker plugged into a microphone socket makes sound go the other way and back to whoever... has a microphone plugged into the speaker socket? Or what? I'm not sure I understand that part.

I suspect that my BT digibox, which uses my broadband to download some on-demand stuff, has a fairly good idea of the programmes that I've watched and is sending that information off somewhere though - for a start they need to know what to bill me if I look at a film with a charge. Fortunately the digibox is crap, we can get a fraction of the advertised Freeview channels in this region without upgrading an aerial (and even with an upgrade the selection seems limited and the reception is apparently poor), and although the on-demand worked when I first got the thing a few months ago, it no longer does - the first time it failed the programmes showed up but the sound was almost inaudible; now it seems I just get a blank screen after pressing play on my selection.

So I'm getting no benefit whatsoever from the bloody thing other than worse reception on the channels I had already (and no Channel 5 at all if I have the aerial going through the digibox), and consequently I don't use it and they can't spy on me. Hooray for privacy. I would unplug it but apparently they can tell if you do that, and charge you for it. Really I should complain to somebody, but I watch broadcast TV so seldom anyway that I've not got round to doing so yet.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08 July 2008, 05:39 PM
Tarquin Farquart's Avatar
Tarquin Farquart Tarquin Farquart is offline
 
Join Date: 20 November 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 16,354
Icon27

Why would the government use the TV when they could just used the microchips installed in everyone at birth?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08 July 2008, 05:53 PM
Sly Dog
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I can hear sound coming from a microphone if I plug it into a speaker slot and I can record sound with a speaker if I plug it into a microphone slot. For the moment let's accept that as true, how does it then follow that I can record sound with a speaker plugged into a speaker slot when the set is turned off? I think someone's reality check has bounced.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08 July 2008, 05:55 PM
chillas's Avatar
chillas chillas is offline
 
Join Date: 09 September 2002
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabia View Post
I replied off the top of my head a few things that I thought wrong with their logic. But I was hoping y'all could fill me in on facts.
Well, if it were me I wouldn't bother, as I suspect this person is impervious to both facts and logic.

I will mention that a microphone and speaker are esentially the same thing, and whether the signals are being transmitted in digital or analog is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08 July 2008, 05:55 PM
FullMetal FullMetal is offline
 
Join Date: 19 December 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,237
Default

they're basically saying that microphones and speakers are interchangable, and they are to a point. aka you can plug a speaker into a mic port on a reciever and use a speaker as a microphone, and you can use a microphone as a speaker... the basic technologies in them are very similar and reversible.

as for monitoring everything... that would require storage in the exabyte ranges... and yeah 10kb for 1 billion people (wonder which nations are included in this monitoring of mobile phones. if they're monitoring 1 billion people including the US, that would cause some international incidents in regards to espionage... ) but 10kb x 1 billion is 10 terabytes. now consider the fact that the average email is 5k, (rough estimate by what i've seen looking at exchange servers) not to mention spam, i get 50 emails a day, 50x5 = 250k, not much but times that by 1 billion and you get 250 tb per day of data. even if they had storage to handle this, no way are the network backbones capable of that much data transfer. now consider the poor sod who has to sift through that data.

someone will have to look at that data and then consider that at least 99% of that data is "Whassup!!!" or equally inane chatter... it's literally looking for a needle in a haystack 2 miles high.

also the mention of the fact that "even with the equpment off" uh no... without power, it's not gonna record anything. let alone transmit it. unless it's just in a "standby" mode, in which case cutting the power to it will resolve that issue...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08 July 2008, 06:00 PM
chillas's Avatar
chillas chillas is offline
 
Join Date: 09 September 2002
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Dog View Post
I can hear sound coming from a microphone if I plug it into a speaker slot and I can record sound with a speaker if I plug it into a microphone slot.
Yes, this is quite true. I discovered this when I was maybe eight years old, playing with an old analog cassette deck. I was able to record by plugging in some headphones to the mic jack and speaking into one of the earpieces. I then got the idea to try the reverse and plugged a mic into the headphone jack and played a tape. It worked!

As I noted in the above post, a mic and speakers are esentially the same thing, only optimized to work in reverse. A mic takes vibrations caused by sound and converts them into an electronic signal. Speakers take an electronic signal and converts them into vibrations which produce sound.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08 July 2008, 06:10 PM
BlushingBride's Avatar
BlushingBride BlushingBride is offline
 
Join Date: 26 August 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 2,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabia View Post
So people take your TV, Radio and place them gently in to that black
receptacle that the local refuse department empty every week or
fortnight and reintroduce yourself to your wife, husband, children,
boy / girl friend, friends and acquaintances.
I know you will thank me for it later.
Kind of makes me wonder if there isn't someone sitting back and giggling at the thought of tinfoil-hatted masses throwing their expensive electronics into dumpsters at his behest.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08 July 2008, 06:53 PM
zabia's Avatar
zabia zabia is offline
 
Join Date: 04 April 2005
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
Well, if it were me I wouldn't bother, as I suspect this person is impervious to both facts and logic.

I will mention that a microphone and speaker are esentially the same thing, and whether the signals are being transmitted in digital or analog is irrelevant.
To put this as politely as possible, though my mother loves conspiracy theories, at least this one made her question. But then being my mom, she had me do her homework for her, and thankfully, I can come here and have y'all do my homework for me. Then again, I'm not sure why she would even start to believe since the person who sent it to her also believes that it is sun screen that gives you skin cancer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlushingBride View Post
Kind of makes me wonder if there isn't someone sitting back and giggling at the thought of tinfoil-hatted masses throwing their expensive electronics into dumpsters at his behest.
You know, I thought that too. Personally, if I had a neighbor who's stuff I have been coveting, I would send this to them and then stalk the trash. Free stuff for me.

Thanks everyone for replying. I had my beliefs on what I thought was wrong with this, but had no backup on facts.

I wrote back about the microphone and speaker stuff. I also pointed out that the small speakers on a tv wouldn't be big enough to capture all the sound. I also mentioned the waste of resourses of spying on every house. And I thought the main reason for the conversion was because it's cheaper to send digital, because the stations had upgraded to digital anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08 July 2008, 09:16 PM
LilacFields's Avatar
LilacFields LilacFields is offline
 
 
Join Date: 28 December 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,398
Default

I'd be tempted to send that out and just watch the reaction that might ensue. It's incredibly absurd. But it'd be even funnier if people fell for it and trashed their TVs...

LF
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08 July 2008, 09:54 PM
iskinner
 
Posts: n/a
Default And just imagine the quality of anything picked up...

To take this in a different direction...

If one has ever heard and had to decipher recordings from a covertly monitored conversation knows just how difficult this can be. With people walking this way and that, turning away from the microphone, ambient room|location sounds, etc. it is often incredible difficult if not downright impossible to make sense of any captured conversation.

How much worse is this going to be from a small speaker on a television that is not even designed to capture sound?

Especially one that is concurrently broadcasting sounds from a watched show, just how is that supposed to work?!? I understand that speakers|microphones are somewhat reversible, but can either simultaneously do both!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08 July 2008, 10:50 PM
Natalie Natalie is offline
 
Join Date: 15 January 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 2,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabia View Post
I also pointed out that the small speakers on a tv wouldn't be big enough to capture all the sound.
That and, even though Americans own a lot of TVs on average, I doubt most people have a TV in every room.

Also, wouldn't this imply that at least a few countries are in this together, since there are several Japanese and European electronics companies? That would be a mighty big conspiracy.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09 July 2008, 10:51 AM
Cactus Wren's Avatar
Cactus Wren Cactus Wren is offline
 
Join Date: 05 June 2002
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,398
Default

And if the conspiracy theorists are right, then in the immortal words of Bruce Sterling:

Quote:
... we Americans clearly
haven't run our own national affairs for at least thirty years. Our
executive, our Congress, our police and our bureaucracies have all been
a fraud in the hands of elite and murderous secret masters. But if
we're not running our own affairs today, and haven't for thirty years,
then how the heck are we supposed to start now? Why even try? If the
world's fate is ineluctably in the hands of Illuminati, then what real
reason do we have to meddle in public matters? Why make our thoughts
and ideas heard? Why organize, why discuss public policy, why make
budgets, why set priorities, why vote? We'll just get gypped anyhow.
We'd all be better off retired, in hiding, underground, in monasteries,
in purdah, or dead.

If the NSA's tapping every phone line and reading every license-plate
from orbit, then They are basically omniscient. They're watching us
every moment -- but why do they bother? What quality, besides our own
vanity, would make us important enough to be constantly watched by
Secret Masters? After all, it's not like we're actually intending to
*accomplish* anything.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12 July 2008, 12:42 AM
barbrainey's Avatar
barbrainey barbrainey is offline
 
Join Date: 05 December 2003
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 647
D'oh!

I have heard conspiracy theories like this for more than 25 years. The first was in the early 1980s when some fundamentalist Christian writers--Mary Stewart Relfe for one--theorized that cable TV was an invention for "Big Brother"-type spying and privacy invasion that would allow "the Antichrist" and his state police to watch the activities of everyone in the world. Thus, the Christians who refuse "the mark of the Beast" could be discovered in the assumed privacy of their own homes and arrested, tortured, and martyred.

More recently, young-earth creationist Kent Hovind put out this same insane, paranoid notion. It's really stupid and impractical. He said that even when your TV set is turned off, "Big Brother" can still watch you. And he provided no explanation as to how it can be done! Whew! He's really living in the Twilight Zone! (Actually, he's in a federal prison for income tax fraid and evasion.)

B. A. Rainey
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12 July 2008, 12:55 AM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 23,059
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbrainey View Post
He's really living in the Twilight Zone! (Actually, he's in a federal prison for income tax fraid and evasion.)


Odd what people can believe, isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12 July 2008, 06:37 AM
KKHB
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Ok, so what? Who would want to spy on me? Big Brother wants to hear me and my domestic partner talk about who's turn it is to do the laundry and what we should do dinner friday night?
But it is even better than that! NO conversation or email gets deleted- EVER! (In caps even!)

So remember that argument y'all had back in 2002 about who would do the dishes on Tuesday nights? Well now couldn't we just write away for a transcript or something so we would have irrefutable proof?

I say we should embrace this infringement on our privacy- it can only be a good thing in my future petty domestic squabbles.


Oh...and welcome to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 13 July 2008, 08:25 PM
DawnStorm's Avatar
DawnStorm DawnStorm is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2003
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 12,681
Icon18

Just remember, my fellow Americans: analog TV signals will be switched off next February!11!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 13 July 2008, 09:23 PM
Eddylizard's Avatar
Eddylizard Eddylizard is offline
 
Join Date: 15 June 2006
Location: Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Posts: 17,859
Default

Okay well at least here, the reason for the switchover to digital is plain. Digital terrestrial can carry more channels per band than analogue. Which frees up a lot of frequency bands which the Government can sell off to whoever wants them for a nice fat sum. Instead of 64 frequency bands for TV, now we'll need just a few. Tecnical details sketchy on my behalf.

A speaker can as someone pointed out be used as a microphone and vice versa since they work on the same principal - a vibrating cone attached to a magnet surrounded by a coil, but the sound quality is appalling if you interchange them as they are built in different ways for their intended purposes.

If your digital TV works like my satellite digital, then it's a one way street anyway. All the channels and the programme guide and whatever else are sent to you all the time. Nothing goes back up the line.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14 July 2008, 12:16 PM
franjava's Avatar
franjava franjava is offline
 
Join Date: 23 August 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,130
Default

The op sounds like it's based on the plot of 1984.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 15 July 2008, 01:51 PM
claudia
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjava View Post
The op sounds like it's based on the plot of 1984.
Exactly.

I recall high Party Officials could turn them down, but not off.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.