snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 19 June 2008, 11:28 AM

Icon402 The good old days were perfect!

I know I've seen this, or something very like it, a few times in the past. But it just showed up in my inbox - making the rounds again, I guess.

Quote:
Suppose you are speaking with a gentleman you've not met in person on the phone. In an attempt to acertain his age, you ask him how he feels about things have changed since his childhood. He replies:

* "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:
o television,
o penicillin,
o polio shots,
o frozen foods,
o Xerox,
o contact lenses,
o Frisbees and
o the pill.
* "There was no:
o radar,
o credit cards,
o laser beams or
o ball-point pens.
* "Man had not invented:
o pantyhose,
o air conditioners,
o dishwashers,
o clothes dryers,
o and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
o man hadn't yet walked on the moon.
* "My wife and I got married first-and then lived together.
* Every family had a father and a mother.
* Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, 'Sir'- and after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir.'
* We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
* Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
* We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
* Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
* We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
* Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
* Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.
* Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.
* We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
* And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.
* If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.
* The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
* Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
* We had 5 & 10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
* Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
* And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
* You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 but who could afford one?
* Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.
* In my day:
o "grass" was mowed,
o "coke" was a cold drink,
o "pot" was something your mother cooked in and
o "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
o "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
o "chip" meant a piece of wood,
o "hardware" was found in a hardware store and
o "software" wasn't even a word.
* And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?
Old 19 June 2008, 11:35 AM

o television, 1925
o penicillin, 1928
o polio shots, 1952
o frozen foods, Pre-historic in Arctic climes, 1925 for Birdseye
o Xerox, 1906, first plain paper copier in 1959
o contact lenses, 1888

So our old chap would be 120 yrs old, very good going.
Old 19 June 2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
how old do you think I am?
Must be at least 80 as that was when penicillin was discovered.

ETA: Spanked. And with a better list.

Anyone know when radar was invented?
Old 19 June 2008, 11:39 AM

Ha! Fabulous.

But, what I'd like to know is when exactly was it that every family had a mother and a father? When was that? I'd really like to know. Because I think it's "never". There were no deadbeat dads, babies out of wedlock, widows, widowers, and orphans back in the good old days? Really?
Old 19 June 2008, 11:48 AM

If I need to know someone's age, I look it up on their personal file.
Old 19 June 2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notgillcup View Post
o penicillin,
o polio shots,
"I cheated death on a regular basis! It was such a great time to live - my three siblings who didn't survive to adulthood are lucky they didn't have to see what's happened to America these days."
Quote:
Funny, historians disagree with you. Hell, the historical decennial census disagrees with you, and it's an inanimate object.

Quote:
* We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
I don't really care about computer dating or group therapy, but this still isn't really selling 1890 or so.
Quote:
* Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.
This guy is magic. Not only is he 120 years old, he also lived through an alternate universe where World War I never happened.

Quote:
* We had 5 & 10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
* Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
* And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
* You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 but who could afford one?
* Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.
Inflation is a Commie liberal plot to screw hard working Americans out of their money!

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
Anyone know when radar was invented?
Looks like that kind of depends on how you want to define radar. The word was apparently coined in 1941.
Old 19 June 2008, 12:08 PM

If I had been born before the pill, air conditioning, and contacts, I'd be sweat drenched and dying of heat stroke, constantly pregnant, and blind as a friggin BAT because I don't think they could even make glasses thick enough for me back then, as they hadn't invented lightweight polymer lenses either and I'm only slightly above legally blind.

I hate smug asshats who buy into all that crap. Go off and fart dust in a corner somewhere with your cronies and quit trying to taunt us whippersnappers with how much we suck compared to you.

Ugh.
Old 19 June 2008, 01:21 PM

Wow, the good old days really sucked eggs. Is this even meant to be singing the praises?
Old 19 June 2008, 01:34 PM

I'm sick of all these "Kids these days are spoiled little brats who don't know how good they have it!" emails going around. The past had things that could be considered better than today, and things that could be considered worse. No time is perfect, and I'm tired of all the generalizations made about my generation. We aren't all loudmouthed cell phone addicts that don't know simple math or when World War II started and ended. Sure, there are those that fit the stereotype, but there have been people like that in every generation--even 120 years ago, in the case of the imaginary list writer.

I wonder what the lists are going to be like in the next twenty or so years? I could have fun with that...When I was born there were no iPods! I didn't have the internet or an email account until I was eleven years old! Pluto was still a planet! We had to walk uphill in the snow barefoot to school--both ways! And if there wasn't a hill nearby, we walked until we found one, went up it, THEN went home!
Old 19 June 2008, 01:58 PM

I don't really get the point of these emails. Yes, times change. New things are invented, technology changes, as does language. I'm sure that the parents or grandparents of whoever supposedly wrote this (even if he's a bit less than 120 years old) could have done similarly: "When I was young we didn't have automobiles, and we had to walk or keep horses. Women wore tight-laced corsets from the time they were little girls, and most of them had really skinny waists. They wore long hampering clothing, and didn't play any sports or anything. A walk or a carriage ride was considered a "date", and several of those were all you might have before you married your beau. Housewives cooked over a wood or coal stove in the blazing summer and liked it, even with the enormous risk of fire! etc." What's the point?

And I don't get the implied or overt criticism of young people that you also find in these sorts of emails. What are we supposed to do, refuse to have anything to do with the technology that's been developed since? Since when? Are we allowed to keep the wheel? And what about medical care, are we supposed to give that up too? It's a bit late for me, drugs that were invented less than a decade before my birth are the only reason I was ever born, but I suppose I could rectify the situation by refusing to have any more, ever. Gah.
Old 19 June 2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Squirrel View Post
Sure, there are those that fit the stereotype, but there have been people like that in every generation--even 120 years ago, in the case of the imaginary list writer.
Tck! Kids 120 years ago didn't know how good they had it. Back in the olden days we didn't have all these railways! And do kids 120 years ago even know how long the Seven Years' War lasted? Nah, they're too busy reading the dictionary, which was just being published in our day. And if it wasn't for all your 120 year old horror stories, criminals like Jack the Ripper wouldn't be running about.
Old 19 June 2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notgillcup View Post
Ha! Fabulous.

But, what I'd like to know is when exactly was it that every family had a mother and a father? When was that? I'd really like to know. Because I think it's "never". There were no deadbeat dads, babies out of wedlock, widows, widowers, and orphans back in the good old days? Really?
My paternal grandfather abandoned his wife and 9 children in the 1920s. One of my maternal great-grandfathers abandoned his wife and 2 kids sometime in the late 19th or early 20th century, and went on to commit bigamy with several other women.

One of my great-aunts had a child out of wedlock following an affair with a married man (she didn't know he was married) in the 1920s. She later lived with her husband (different man) for several years before they married until he could get a divorce from his first wife, who was apparently a drug addict and had been institutionalized.
Old 19 June 2008, 02:35 PM

Default A simple question would do it.....

Quote:
Suppose you are speaking with a gentleman you've not met in person on the phone. In an attempt to acertain his age, you ask him how he feels about things have changed since his childhood. He replies:
Actually, instead of all this screwing around, I'd just say "Exactly how old ARE you sir?"

Much simpler, and we can move onto other things, like what he has loaded on his IPod....

My dear grandmother, who passed away in 1984, once told me that "The good old days weren't so damn good. Mostly it was just a lot of hard, back-breaking work!"
Old 19 June 2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
My dear grandmother, who passed away in 1984, once told me that "The good old days weren't so damn good. Mostly it was just a lot of hard, back-breaking work!"
My grandmother passed away in 1988.

She told me many stories about how HORRIBLE the good old days were.
"ROBIN," she would say, "oh, we had a huge boiling pot for the handkercheifs and diapers and the cloths we had to use for our periods. It was HORRIBLE. You are so lucky to have TAMPAX!!" she would say.

She also used to talk about how wonderful the medical advances were, and she also said that the Depression was so horrible that she'd kill herself before she went through it again.

So I don't think she was under the delusion that everything about modern day life was inferior to the old days.

She was a damn smart woman too.
Old 19 June 2008, 03:30 PM

Fright

Frankenglurge
Old 19 June 2008, 03:48 PM

It seems like is a hybrid of a few different "When I was young" Glurges..

Quote:
o television,
o penicillin,
o polio shots,
o frozen foods,
o Xerox,
o contact lenses,
o Frisbees and
o the pill.
* "There was no:
o radar,
o credit cards,
o laser beams or
o ball-point pens.
* "Man had not invented:
o pantyhose,
o air conditioners,
o dishwashers,
o clothes dryers,
You know.. Aside from TV and arguably 'the pill' are any of these things considered bad? I mean normally these lists are filled with inventions that some people feel made the world worse (video games, computers, television, etc) not things that made the world better, had little impact one way or the other, or saved millions of lives.. Also how the heck is frisbee on that list? I mean he may be right (no idea when it was invented, Back to the Future III not-withstanding) but it seems an odd entry.. I mean I doubt wiffle bats were invented either but they aren't on the list.

Quote:
* "My wife and I got married first-and then lived together.
Sure.. Cause nothing says "recipe for a strong marriage" like not knowing anything about your partners habits at home until you are hooked. Also, despite the lack of many medications, apparantly nobody ever died within the first eighteen years of having a baby.

Quote:
* Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, 'Sir'- and after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir.'
I'm 25 now and I still call men and women I don't know sir/mamn, take THAT! old guy.. I mean sir..

Quote:
* Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
* We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
So long as "right" was to deny certain subsets of the populace rights (Which despite this list also included women and minorities) and "wrong" was think for yourself from time to time.

Quote:
* We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
* Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
* Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.
I love these.. Its like people take a resonably recent term and just rack their brains trying to think of anything olden day-ish it could possible mean.. I mean imagine if you actually met somebody that thought these things..

"My father was such a draft dodger, it was great because I hated being cold during our time sharing on sunday afternoon."

And is "having a meaningful relationship" really a new term when describing people in love?

Quote:
* If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.
Way to keep that American spirit going then pal.

Quote:
* Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
I'm sure I'm wrong but when I hear the phrase "unheard of" I always assume its people talking about doing something considered wrong or rude or some such thing; "Eating during prayer is unheard of!", not just something you litereally have not heard of due to it not existing.

Quote:
o "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
No.. "Aides" were.

Quote:
o "chip" meant a piece of wood,
What about potato chips? Invented before penicillin, coca-cola and most of the other stuff on your list.. Ohhhh, its a dig on computers.

Quote:
[o "hardware" was found in a hardware store and
Still is.

Quote:
o "software" wasn't even a word.
Are.. You.. Effing.. Joking? After I sat through "time sharing" and "draft dodging" you're gonna tell me that you cannot come up with some lame fake meaning for "software"? How about "Software mean what clothes were right out of the store" or some crap (and that was off the top of my head).

Quote:
* And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?
Not just old and confused but also sexest and by the looks of things bigoted.. Though don't worry old man, at least a generation or two felt the same about gay rights and women needing husbands to have kids.

Now I'm gonna sit back and come up with some new words that could have fake olden times meanings..

-MB
Old 19 June 2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Now I'm gonna sit back and come up with some new words that could have fake olden times meanings..
"Instant Breakfast" was what you called it when your mom as a fast cook.

"Shake and Bake" was what we called it when people with parkinsons tried to use the oven.

"Mouse Pad" was what we called a hole in the wall where vermin lived.

"Civil Rights" was what you called it when somebody was a gracious winner.

"Pride" only referred to feelings about ones country and about ones sports team, never about ones acceptence of themselves as humans.

"Modem" was what your dad would tell you when the grass was getting too high.

"Sitcom" was what you tried to do while being yelled at for breaking your mom's favorite vase.

..Ok thats all I can do for just now..

-MB
Old 19 June 2008, 05:09 PM

"Log on" was when you threw another log on the fire.

Quote:
I wonder what the lists are going to be like in the next twenty or so years? I could have fun with that...When I was born there were no iPods! I didn't have the internet or an email account until I was eleven years old! Pluto was still a planet! We had to walk uphill in the snow barefoot to school--both ways! And if there wasn't a hill nearby, we walked until we found one, went up it, THEN went home!
We had to be content with video games that looked 2-D like Pac-Man, super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong. We had to rely on a card catologue. We still used typewriters and our computers stored information on huge floppy disks. We didn't have DVD players. We used VCR's that occasionally ruined your tapes. Our cars didn'thave cup holders.
Old 19 June 2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Much simpler, and we can move onto other things, like what he has loaded on his IPod....
If he was the guy in the OP, he'd probably say "An iPod was what you called your peas"
Old 19 June 2008, 05:28 PM

Icon95

Suppose you are speaking with a gentleman you've not met in person on the phone. In an attempt to ascertain his age, you ask him how he feels about things have changed since his childhood. He replies:

"What is 'phone'? Demon voice come from black bone!'

"Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:"

o fire
o the wheel
o spoken language
o agriculture
o civilization

"There was no:"

o food
o clothing
o shelter

"Man had not invented:"

o anything

* I conked my woman on the head with a rock, then we mated.
* Every family had a father (who mated with his sisters and daughters) and a mother (if she didn't die shortly after giving birth).
* Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, 'Morg.' And after I turned 25 -- well, that's silly, because nobody lived nearly that long.
* Our lives were governed by the daily struggle to survive.
* We didn't have the leisure to differentiate between such irrelevancies as "right" and "wrong."
* We thought fast food was animals that ran faster than we did.
* Having a meaningful relationship meant not killing and eating your mate during the cold season.
* I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to "Oog's Rock and Sticktime Band."
* If you saw anything with 'Made in Gronk's Cave' on it, it was junk.
* We had 5 & 10-bone swap ceremonies where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 bones.
* If you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your five bones on enough animal teeth to make half a necklace and still get three small rocks in change.
* You could buy a new digging stick for 60 bones, but who could afford one?
* We were the last generation to actually believe that chanting and drawing pictures on a cave wall caused a lady to have a baby.

No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?