snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 14 June 2008, 11:45 PM
Syera

Default Poisonous pomegranate husks?

Someone I know said that the husk of a pomegranate is toxic - that it contains dangerous amounts of arsenic.

My Google-Fu has failed me on this subject. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 15 June 2008, 12:40 AM

I would say basically no (except very slightly possible on a localised basis). in general poisonous plants are toxic because they produce chemicals (usually as a method of detering insect attack) themselves. Although some toxic chemicals (including arsenic) can be concentrated by a plant, there would have to be an external source (typically soil). Arsenic compounds do occur naturally in some areas, but not normally in sufficient quantities to be toxic when concentrated, and pomegranate husks are essentailly inedible (definately not eaten routinely, as some fruit skins are)
Old 16 June 2008, 04:48 AM

I have heard the same thing about apple seeds, and snopes actually has a page on the apple seeds anyway.
I also found a page that says lead hydrogen arsenate was used at one time as insecticide on fruit, and monosodium methyl arsenate is currently used in agriculture.
Old 16 June 2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrasda View Post
I have heard the same thing about apple seeds, and snopes actually has a page on the apple seeds anyway.
The difference being that cyanide (as found in apple seeds) is an organic compound the plant itself can produce from (abundantly available) carbon and nitrogen. Arsenic OTOH is a (moderately rare) element for which the plant would need a specific source.
Old 17 June 2008, 04:34 AM

But the UL I heard was arsenic in apple seeds (addressed in the snopes article) This UL could be similar, i.e. wrong chemical remembered.
Old 17 June 2008, 04:30 PM

A quick search turns up some mention of pomegranade skin as a traditional medicine (internal and external), especially for skin care. Nothing about poison though.