Icon81 Don't lock your knees

Comment: I was trying to find out why standing with locked knees is bad-
people are always telling me not to lock my knees. I did a number of
internet searches, and the most common answer that I found was that
locking your knees cuts off circulation because there is an artery that
gets blocked, and you will then pass out. I find that pretty hard to
believe, as I always lock my knees and have never passed out or felt like
my circulation was cut off, but this was essentially the only answer I
could find. I would love to know if that is fact or fiction.
Old 31 May 2008, 08:43 PM

I've never passed out from knee-locking either, but I was always careful to shift my weight back and forth to avoid it. I have seen multiple people drop, apparently due to knee-locking (standing at attention for long periods of time, even in cool weather).
Old 31 May 2008, 08:47 PM

When I did pagents they constantly told us this. They said the combo of nerves,dehydration,the heat from the lights, and locking knees will make you definately pass out.
Old 31 May 2008, 09:08 PM

My childhood dance teacher told me this, although she never explained why it was bad. It wasn't a dance thing - she said it was bad all the time. I lock my knees whenever I'm standing and in fact find that I can't not lock my knees. Haven't had any problems yet.
Old 01 June 2008, 05:35 AM

It's not a guarentee that locking your knees will always make you pass out (obviously) but it certainly CAN happen - I've seen it. Most memorably, at a friend's wedding, and the flower girl fell out right in the middle of the vows - whoooshTHUNK!! ~ they said she'd had her knees locked.

She recovered and was fine. Unfortunately the marriage ended in a messy divorce. So I think the obvious conclusion here is that standing with your knees locked is increasing the divorce rate. NO STANDING WITH LOCKED KNEES!!! Very dangerous!!
Old 01 June 2008, 06:20 AM
Kutter

Go watch a Marine Corps Boot Camp graduation ceremony. Chances are you'll see at least a couple young men and women in the best shape of their lives falling out from this, even though "knees slightly bent" is part of the attention stance. But yeah, it's pretty rare because it's actually fairly hard to lock both kness rigidly for long enough.
Old 01 June 2008, 08:46 AM

I've seen it happen to people standing at attention in a military fashion. I always assumed it was more nerological than a pinched artery. In other words I thought a nerve got pinched not an artery, thus the part of the nervous system controlling the circulation system in the legs stop regulating the arterys and veins in the legs, allowing them to expand and increasing the blood pooling in the legs and not enough getting to the head so *poof* the body tips itself horizontal and corrects the problem.

No science, cites or anything to back that up mind you, that was just always my guess when I saw it happened and wondered why.
Old 01 June 2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Blue View Post
I've seen it happen to people standing at attention in a military fashion. I always assumed it was more nerological than a pinched artery. In other words I thought a nerve got pinched not an artery, thus the part of the nervous system controlling the circulation system in the legs stop regulating the arterys and veins in the legs, allowing them to expand and increasing the blood pooling in the legs and not enough getting to the head so *poof* the body tips itself horizontal and corrects the problem.
That's my understanding, too. It's called a vasovagal syncope, or common faint, and one of the triggers is standing too long with the knees locked. One of my students collapsed a couple of years ago when we were rehearsing a presentation of the Stations of the Cross, which required the kids to stand still for extended periods of time. The paramedics said it was a combination of an improper breakfast (low blood sugar), standing with locked knees, emotional strain, and being a Grade 6 boy (apparently grade 6 boys faint easily).
Old 01 June 2008, 04:29 PM

Icon05

On choir tours, when we were rehearsing and then performing for long hours, often dehydrated and exhausted, we were always told not to lock our knees while standing on the risers. I always understood it to be because if you faint while your knees are locked, you topple to the floor and run a greater risk of hitting your head. If you faint with your knees slightly bent, you're more likely to crumple to the floor, which is still not good, but better than toppling. I did not realize locking your knees could induce a faint!
Old 01 June 2008, 05:58 PM

I can tell you that the real reason you should never lock your knees is because you put excessive stress on your meniscus, which has no blood supply and rarely, if ever, regenerates. I tore my ACL playing football and had to have it reconstructed, and in physical therapy, my therapist told me never to lock my knees, whether standing or on one of the weight bearing machines, and that you should never, ever, lock your knees and lean with your upper body in front of your knees.

So I'm pretty sure you shouldn't lock your knees in the interest of preserving your cartilage and avoiding knee replacement surgery.
Old 01 June 2008, 08:03 PM

Icon204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantine View Post
On choir tours, when we were rehearsing and then performing for long hours, often dehydrated and exhausted, we were always told not to lock our knees while standing on the risers. I always understood it to be because if you faint while your knees are locked, you topple to the floor and run a greater risk of hitting your head. If you faint with your knees slightly bent, you're more likely to crumple to the floor, which is still not good, but better than toppling. I did not realize locking your knees could induce a faint!
That was always my understanding too. Oh well.
Old 01 June 2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnejanet View Post
(apparently grade 6 boys faint easily).
When my son fainted, our pediatrician said the most common fainting trigger he'd come across was hair brushing in pre-teen girls. Maybe they are combing their hair for the Grade 6 boys and they'll all faint together?
Old 02 June 2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recklessmess View Post
So I'm pretty sure you shouldn't lock your knees in the interest of preserving your cartilage and avoiding knee replacement surgery.
I found an article regarding why you shouldn't lock your knees.
Old 04 June 2008, 05:00 PM
Elishka

We were always told not to lock our knees when standing during choir performances. Sure enough, a gal in the Soprano section (and this was back around 1980) did that during a concert of very weird 20th century music. Honest-to-goodness, about the time the conductor was giving us the cut off for this one odd piece of music, this soprano on the front row started walking forward then fell forward as she passed out, taking with her a music stand and a set of chimes. The conductor gave the cut off, signaled to some of the guys to come and help to remove her, and a friend of mine in the alto section (who was a nurse) went with them off stage.

And then the audience applauded.

Honestly! It took the conductor coming back to explain what happened before they realized it wasn't all part of the performance!