Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 08 May 2008, 01:50 AM

Icon24 Coke makes you thirstier

Comment: I was just reading your "Cokelore" site and noticed one that I've been
told but wasn't there. I have no idea if it's true or not, but I was told
that Coke has something in it that when you drink it, it makes you
thirstier.
Old 08 May 2008, 02:13 AM

I've been told that about virtually every drink but water. I'd like to know if this has scientific basis as well.
Old 08 May 2008, 02:18 AM

Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgardDragon View Post
I've been told that about virtually every drink but water. I'd like to know if this has scientific basis as well.
I don't know if it's true, but from personal experience, it certainly feels that way.
Old 08 May 2008, 02:19 AM
Elsie

I doubt Coke has anything in it that actually makes you thirstier, but my husband and I have both noticed that if we are really hot and thirtsy, Coke doesn't seem to satisfy the thirst the way water, Gatorade, or even tea does.
Old 08 May 2008, 02:23 AM

Well, it has a lot of sugar, and some salt. So do most non-diet, flavored, drinks. Either one has the potential to make you feel thirstier.
Old 08 May 2008, 02:24 AM

Could it possibly be the sodium that causes one to feel thirsty? There's 40mg in one can of diet coke, is that enough to make a difference?

ETA: Spanked by Mags
Old 08 May 2008, 02:53 AM

I've heard (and personally experienced, though not under controlled conditions) the claim that diet sodas make you hungrier, or somehow shortcircuit the natural appetite suppression you should have after eating a meal, so that you feel hungrier again sooner.

--Logoboros
Old 08 May 2008, 03:28 AM
mirfield

Spit Take

If you're diabetic there's a good chance that drinking lots of Coke (or other sugary drinks) would make you thirstier.

I used to drink lots for that very reason before I was diagnosed.
Old 08 May 2008, 03:54 AM

Coke also contains caffeine, which is a diuretic. In very hot places we get warnings about drinking any caffeinated beverage and the possibility of dehydration.
Old 08 May 2008, 04:47 AM
KKHB

I too have heard this about Coke (or any soda) making you thirstier. Speaking for myself, any non-diet or overly sweet drink *does* make me thirstier, but that could easily be psychosomatic. Even water doesn't make me feel "not thirsty", only my precious Diet Pepsi will adequately quench my thirst (I told you it could be psychosomatic!). DH swears that the Diet Pepsi is actually making me thirstier because of the caffeine acting as a diuretic, but hasn't that been debunked too?
Old 08 May 2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Coke also contains caffeine, which is a diuretic. In very hot places we get warnings about drinking any caffeinated beverage and the possibility of dehydration.
Yes, Coke is a diuretic, and so is water. Coke does not result in net dehydration. The warnings are BS. Cite (but I am not sure how reputable the site is )
Quote:
Additionally, the idea that one must specifically drink water because the diuretic effects of caffeinated drinks such as coffee, tea, and soda actually produce a net loss of fluid appears to be erroneous. The average person retains about half to two-thirds the amount of fluid taken in by drinking these types of beverages, and those who regularly consume caffeinated drinks retain even more.
Old 08 May 2008, 05:19 AM

Icon24

Quote:
Coke does not result in net dehydration.
Virtually no common beverages do, save for those containing alcohol. That's essentially what a hangover is -- a side effect of dehydration.

- snopes
Old 08 May 2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
I doubt Coke has anything in it that actually makes you thirstier, but my husband and I have both noticed that if we are really hot and thirtsy, Coke doesn't seem to satisfy the thirst the way water, Gatorade, or even tea does.
That's true in my experience. Sometimes on a hot day I buy a can and apply it to the back of my neck and/or forehead. That cools me down more than drinking the stuff does.
Old 08 May 2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Virtually no common beverages do, save for those containing alcohol. That's essentially what a hangover is -- a side effect of dehydration.

- snopes
I had thought about putting that part of the page in, too, but I couldn't copy and paste it, and didn't feel like typing any more out. Although I did know it before I read it on the site (because if it were true, both my mother and I would be long dead) but it was nice to have confirmation of it, and a way to get people of my back about it.
Old 08 May 2008, 09:23 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
That's true in my experience. Sometimes on a hot day I buy a can and apply it to the back of my neck and/or forehead. That cools me down more than drinking the stuff does.
Wouldn't that make you something of a target for wasps? Not to mention all sticky?

...oh right.
Old 08 May 2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
Yes, Coke is a diuretic,
Thanks for confirming this.
Quote:
and so is water.
No it isn't.
Quote:
Coke does not result in net dehydration.
This is from a study, but there are still doctors that state this. We get it from the medical staff every time we deploy to a hot dry place. I'm certain that there are professional bodies looking at this, but I would put this in the category of "pending". Thanks for pointing it out to me though.
Old 09 May 2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
No it isn't.
A diuretic is anything that increases urine output. Water is most definitely a diuretic.
Quote:
This is from a study, but there are still doctors that state this. We get it from the medical staff every time we deploy to a hot dry place. I'm certain that there are professional bodies looking at this, but I would put this in the category of "pending". Thanks for pointing it out to me though.
I have had science teachers in school who taught UL's, also. An MD is just as prone to them as anyone else.
Old 09 May 2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
A diuretic is anything that increases urine output. Water is most definitely a diuretic.
Water is not a drug.

From Mosby's Dental Dictionary, 2nd edition.
Quote:
diuretic (dī´yret´ik),
n 1. a drug that increases the formation of urine.
adj 2. pertaining to the increased formation of urine. Used mainly in the initial treatment of hypertension (high blood pressure).
Quote:
I have had science teachers in school who taught UL's, also. An MD is just as prone to them as anyone else.
True. However, in my recent online research it has been postulated by many that moderate caffeine intake will have no impact on dehydration. Excessive (8 to 10 cups of coffee per day) can contribute to dehydration, especially if you have already sweat due to heat or exertion.

So, I will concede that the casual drinking of caffeinated beverages will not dehydrate, the heavy use of caffeine while already on the road to dehydration will exacerbate the problem.
Old 09 May 2008, 03:28 PM
Syera

Soda in general tends to make my mouth feel dry a few moments after drinking it. Colas seem to be worse, but that could just be because I don't like the flavor that much.
Old 09 May 2008, 11:21 PM

I actually think CocaCola goes well with food, especially when I eat cheeseburgers McDonalds. But when I don't eat, but drink a coke anyway, I always want to take another sip, and then another sip, and then another sip. Maybe that's because it makes me thirstier?