snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 06 February 2007, 09:10 PM
Stadiumite

Default Prince was a basketball star in high school

I heard a sports talk radio guy say that Prince (you know "The Artist", Rogers Nelson) was an outstanding high school basketball players in the state of Minnesota.

It seems hard to believe, given his short stature (5'2") and his slight build. But at the high school level, some times quick, small, athletic players can be outstanding.

So I did some web-surfing. It seems that there was a skit about Prince playing basketball on Dave Chappelle's show. Some sources that Google found for me thought the Chappelle skit had some basis in reality. That is, Prince really did play basketball, and Chappelle was trying to present a comic vision of what that must have been like. Others think it was all made up, and that there's no way that Prince was ever a star athlete.

Does anyone know the truth about this one? I tend to think Prince can't ball.
Old 06 February 2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadiumite View Post
I heard a sports talk radio guy say that Prince (you know "The Artist", Rogers Nelson) was an outstanding high school basketball players in the state of Minnesota.

It seems hard to believe, given his short stature (5'2") and his slight build. But at the high school level, some times quick, small, athletic players can be outstanding.

So I did some web-surfing. It seems that there was a skit about Prince playing basketball on Dave Chappelle's show. Some sources that Google found for me thought the Chappelle skit had some basis in reality. That is, Prince really did play basketball, and Chappelle was trying to present a comic vision of what that must have been like. Others think it was all made up, and that there's no way that Prince was ever a star athlete.

Does anyone know the truth about this one? I tend to think Prince can't ball.
I've got a FoaF for you. My brother was once a session musician at Flight Time studio, the one run by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. He spent some time at Paisley Park also because the studios used sidemen form the same pool of players.

Lil' bro told me similar stories to the one told by Dave Chapelle. At the time, I considered myself a playground superstar. My brother told me that Prince could beat me. This I deny, but I don't doubt that he was a good player even in the late 80s.

- P
Old 10 February 2007, 08:54 PM

Icon23

It was Charlie Murphy who told the stories about Prince and Rick James.

"and then he served us pancakes"
Old 10 February 2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadiumite View Post
I tend to think Prince can't ball.
Performance anxiety, perhaps?

Old 10 February 2007, 09:09 PM

I don't know much about Prince (never was a fan, though I've had several friends who were obsessed with him), but I do know that he was teaching himself to play literally dozens of instruments and making demo tapes before he was past high school age. I phrase it that way because I'm not sure if he ever even finished high school. He made his first album at age 18. None of that necessarily precludes him being a serious athlete in high school, but given the amount of time he obviously spent on music back then, I doubt he'd be bothering with sports as well.
Old 11 February 2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Performance anxiety, perhaps?

It's just the Ducks on the Wall.
Old 13 February 2007, 03:25 PM
MeliKoritsi

Shoot, there was an article about this in the Star Trib (I think) a couple weeks ago, and it even had pictures.

Yes, he did play varsity basketball in high school. I just need to find that article.

Edit: Here's the picture that was shown in the paper Prince is in the lower right corner. I haven't found the article itself yet.

Here's an article, but not the one I was looking for. It mentions basketball towards the middle.

Last edited by MeliKoritsi; 13 February 2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 13 February 2007, 05:56 PM
Monza305

Is #12 Fletch?

Old 06 March 2007, 04:51 PM
nothing2lose1024

In the DVD "An Evening With Kevin Smith" Kevin talks about his experience with Prince while shooting a documentary for the artist. In one part of the story he was commenting on Prince's crazy fashion and was told by Prince's manager that Prince wears regular street clothes when playing basketball, which he does often. According to what Kevin was told, Prince gets his clothes from the little boys department.

nothing2lose1024...(and the revolution)
Old 30 March 2007, 06:33 AM
Milkshake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleNaughtSaleen View Post
It was Charlie Murphy who told the stories about Prince and Rick James.

"and then he served us pancakes"
"Shirts vs. Blouses"... that was classic.