Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Science

Old 22 April 2008, 09:02 PM

TV Don't allow LCD televisions to freeze

Comment: It has been claimed that if you have a LCD TV & you live in a
cold climate you must never allow the LCD TV to be subjected to
temperatures below freezing or the Liquid Crystals in the screen will
freeze & be destroyed.
Old 22 April 2008, 09:11 PM

Not really. Cold weather is not healthy for the screens but they won't freeze unless you get prolonged exposure and water can get in.
Old 22 April 2008, 11:09 PM

I've noticed that if I were to leave my cellphone or iPod in the car overnight or something in the winter, the LCD displays would be "sluggish" and usually overbright, but as soon as the device warms back up to room temperature it will be fine (It actually seemed like this happened much worse with old black and white cell phone displays as I recall)
Old 23 April 2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Not really. Cold weather is not healthy for the screens but they won't freeze unless you get prolonged exposure and water can get in.
Is it much different from the LCD display on my car radio, which has gone through thousands of freeze-thaw cycles, as well as blistering summer temps, and still works? Or are LCD televisions that different?

-Doug
Old 23 April 2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
Is it much different from the LCD display on my car radio, which has gone through thousands of freeze-thaw cycles, as well as blistering summer temps, and still works? Or are LCD televisions that different?
-Doug
My guess is those units are probably insulated better than your LCD tv or computer monitor. Not to mention that I bet that the inside of your car gets that cold
Old 24 April 2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
My guess is those units are probably insulated better than your LCD tv or computer monitor. Not to mention that I bet that the inside of your car gets that cold
That makes sense. I will add that I live in the Chicago area, and the thermometer I have in my car often reads well below zero in the winter. And on those days, the display will be a bit sluggish, like applepwnz's iPod.

-D.
Old 25 April 2008, 02:30 AM

well living up here in the great white north, and having left laptops, and even an LCD tV outside im -30 degree weather overnight (in the trunk of my car) i can say that they do get cold, and it's not the best for them, and you should always let it warm back up to room temperature before turning them on. I really don't see how they could be that bad for them. if that were truly the case we wouldn't be able to get LCD tvs in the winter, as they'd freeze on the truck since the trailers are not heated and can get pretty cold.

my only concern would be with plasma displays, my car stereo has a red-screen plasma display, which is failing, for reasons unknown to me as it was like that when I got the car 3 years ago when it was 5 years old...
Old 25 April 2008, 06:34 AM

Liquid crystals are not a liquid in a traditional sense, they are more like crystal structures that can undergo liquidlike property changes.
Old 25 April 2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
well living up here in the great white north, and having left laptops, and even an LCD tV outside im -30 degree weather overnight (in the trunk of my car) i can say that they do get cold, and it's not the best for them, and you should always let it warm back up to room temperature before turning them on.
This is true of all things electrical and electronic. The reason is that until warmed to room temperature, there is a possibility of moisture condensing on the inside and possibly causing a short.
Old 25 April 2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Liquid crystals are not a liquid in a traditional sense, they are more like crystal structures that can undergo liquidlike property changes.
I think it is better to put it the other way around. Liquid "crystals" are not crystals in the traditional sense. Instead, they are liquids which exhibit long range order, like a crysta, but still behave mostly like a liquid.