snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 06 April 2008, 07:30 PM

Teacher World War Eleven

Comment: World War Eleven:

From Dick Morris 2004 Book "Rewriting History" (an anti-Hillary tome,
there are lots of 'em!), Morris claims, in a story about Arkansas
teachers, that they fired a teacher who was teaching world history.

He claims that the teacher was teaching the students about "World War
Eleven" - because she didn't realize that World War II was the second
World War.

It sort of smacks of U/L doesn't it?

I mean, people aren't THAT dumb, even in Arkansas
Old 06 April 2008, 08:08 PM

Well I can say that if is was true, I am pretty glad she got fired!
Old 06 April 2008, 08:17 PM
Sweeney_Todd

I have read (possible UL though) that, when 911 replaced the previous 7 digit emergency numbers, people were still using the old emergency numbers. When asked, people said their phones do not have an 11 on them. UL or not, I don't know but, personally, I believe it.
Old 06 April 2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney_Todd View Post
I have read (possible UL though) that, when 911 replaced the previous 7 digit emergency numbers, people were still using the old emergency numbers. When asked, people said their phones do not have an 11 on them. UL or not, I don't know but, personally, I believe it.
I don't think such a thing would be widespread. I figure that (like World War II) would have been written out or spoken correctly. World War II for example does not get spoken as 'Word War eleven' by most people. Heck, even in school it gets spoken out as "the second world war" or "World War 2". I really doubt a teacher could not have escaped hearing about world war 2 correctly and not make an association with Roman numerals.

With the 9-1-1 thing, I figure that most phone companies would advertise 911 correctly (to avoid mis-dials). The only people not using it would be people who are used to the old method (perhaps more elderly people) and just not keen to using another more cumbersome new method. ANd what about 4-1-1 for information?
Old 06 April 2008, 09:29 PM
Sweeney_Todd

good point Diddy. But, reading so many posts and clipped articles about schools, teachers and education administrators here on the boards, frankly, I am pretty much ready to believe anything and shake my head ruefully. My brother just pulled his kids out of the public school system and put them in private school because of teachers not know their subjects.
Old 06 April 2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I am pretty much ready to believe anything and shake my head ruefully.
Believe it or not, I feel that way too. Then I remember that I know hundreds more that are more educated. It reduces the nuts down to an amusingly small number.
Old 07 April 2008, 06:12 PM

Up until junior high--and even in high school-- when asked to read aloud in history class, I had classmates who would pronounce the names of Monarchs such as "King Henry v i i i" (as in "King Henry vee eye-eye-eye.")
Old 07 April 2008, 06:58 PM
Sly Dog

Quote:
The emergency number prior to 911 was 0 for Operator in my part of the world.
Old 08 April 2008, 03:49 AM
bjohn13

I had to do an oral report on Malcolm the Tenth when I was a junior in high school. Boy, was that embarassing.
Old 08 April 2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGrey View Post
Up until junior high--and even in high school-- when asked to read aloud in history class, I had classmates who would pronounce the names of Monarchs such as "King Henry v i i i" (as in "King Henry vee eye-eye-eye.")
Not strange, I'm said to say. I know grownups who have no idea about Roman numerals.
Old 08 April 2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Prior to September 11th, 2001, I never heard any reference to "nine-eleven." The emergency number was always referred to as "nine-one-one" and, without the significance of the WTC attack, why would anyone see it as 9-11 instead of 9-1-1 or even 91-1? There's simply no reason to think that any large number of people would see 911 as 9-11 prior to 2001.

pinqy
Old 08 April 2008, 02:45 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
I really doubt a teacher could not have escaped hearing about world war 2 correctly and not make an association with Roman numerals.
Not only, but also: With the expense and effort involved in firing one teacher and hiring another, surely it would be more efficient to simply correct the teacher.
Old 08 April 2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
Prior to September 11th, 2001, I never heard any reference to "nine-eleven." The emergency number was always referred to as "nine-one-one" and, without the significance of the WTC attack, why would anyone see it as 9-11 instead of 9-1-1 or even 91-1? There's simply no reason to think that any large number of people would see 911 as 9-11 prior to 2001.

pinqy
I remember being taught in elementary school to specifically avoid referring to the emergency number as "nine-eleven" because in an emergency I might panic and not find the "eleven" on the phone. I couldn't understand why anyone would say "nine-eleven" instead of "nine-one-one" since the former is actually longer. Then I saw an episode of Facts of Life in which Beverly (played by Cloris Leachman after Mrs. Garrett had left) needed to dial 9-1-1 and couldn't find the "eleven" on the phone. She is the only person I ever saw call it "nine-eleven" and she was fictional.
Old 08 April 2008, 05:56 PM

Glasses

I was taught exactally the same thing as Kahdra when I was in elementary school (that's when we first got 911 service). About the same time there were jokes going around about people who were so dumb they died/burned up/got robbed while looking for the 11 key. Those jokes (I use the word loosely) predated 9-11 by over a decade.

In a similar vein (or is it vane ) I was once pretty embarrassed as a kid when I complained that the bass (pronounced like the fish) on our stereo sucked. Nobody ever told me that bass was pronounced like base when you're talking about musical things...
Old 08 April 2008, 06:08 PM

D'oh! To return to history, if everso briefly

Here in the US, the film The Madness of King George III was released with his III, because it apparently confused movie goers who thought they had George and George II.

Okay, maybe not history, the movies then.

Ali "I'll see your Oxford comma and raise you a ..." Infree
Old 08 April 2008, 06:14 PM
Cherished Emerald

For several years, I'd only ever seen the North Korean leader's name written in newspapers and other formats where the capital 'I' and lowercase 'l' look identical, and I honestly believed he was Kim Jong II, or Kim Jong the second, if you like. I didn't think much of it, different countries have different ways of naming their leaders, I figured.

I believe I finally realised it when I saw a clip on a topical comedy show of George W Bush speaking, and he mentioned him. At first I thought that was the inevitable 'Bushism', then when the audience didn't burst into hysterics at that exact moment, that was when I got it.

Luckily, I don't think I ever refered to Kim Jong-il before that incident!

ETA: Ali Infree, I have what I believe is called a 'chow' here
Old 08 April 2008, 06:18 PM

Teacher

I remember hearing this about Lawrence Welk:
Quote:
Welk was also known for his mispronunciations of script on cue cards. One such story, of uncertain credibility, has him introducing a medley of World War I tunes as "songs from World War Eye."
Old 08 April 2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
Here in the US, the film The Madness of King George III was released with his III, because it apparently confused movie goers who thought they had George and George II.
It was based on a play called The Madness Of George III, but the film was called The Madness Of King George here too. It's a snappier title...
Old 08 April 2008, 06:57 PM

Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
Erm... not quite.
Old 08 April 2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahdra View Post
I remember being taught in elementary school to specifically avoid referring to the emergency number as "nine-eleven" because in an emergency I might panic and not find the "eleven" on the phone. I couldn't understand why anyone would say "nine-eleven" instead of "nine-one-one" since the former is actually longer. Then I saw an episode of Facts of Life in which Beverly (played by Cloris Leachman after Mrs. Garrett had left) needed to dial 9-1-1 and couldn't find the "eleven" on the phone. She is the only person I ever saw call it "nine-eleven" and she was fictional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
I was taught exactally the same thing as Kahdra when I was in elementary school (that's when we first got 911 service). About the same time there were jokes going around about people who were so dumb they died/burned up/got robbed while looking for the 11 key. Those jokes (I use the word loosely) predated 9-11 by over a decade.
Huh. I never heard 9-11. And I still find the grouping odd.

pinqy