Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Food

Old 06 April 2008, 05:13 AM

Chicken No one can eat quail for 30 days

Comment: I just heard something I've never heard in my 43 years. It is
said that no one can eat a quail every day for 30 days; there have been
large sums of money bet and lost on this premise. The legendary gambler
Amarillo Slim Preston produced a man who did this, but apparently there
were two men: a set of identical twins. A man named Johnny Mann may
have done this in the 1880's, but I can't confirm it.
Old 06 April 2008, 05:21 AM
zephyra

Why wouldn't a person be able to do this? Illness? Is it against the law? What's keeping someone from eating all that quail?
Old 06 April 2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyra View Post
Why wouldn't a person be able to do this? Illness? Is it against the law? What's keeping someone from eating all that quail?
From what little I can find on the subject, people supposedly just get tired of eating it after a couple days. Sounds highly suspicious to me.
Old 06 April 2008, 05:30 AM
zephyra

Sounds like a lot of food. According to this article the bones had to be picked clean. Still sounds suspicious.
Old 08 April 2008, 02:46 AM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyra View Post

As someone who has eaten quail before, I'll say that the flavor alone would keep me from being able to finish the first one.
Old 08 April 2008, 02:56 AM

Whalephant

As the proud possessor of a cast-iron stomach, I'd be delighted to give it a try. I lived for two and a half years on Chef Boyardee canned ravioli; how much worse can quail be?

Where would I get quail meat, anyway?

Silas
Old 08 April 2008, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post
As the proud possessor of a cast-iron stomach, I'd be delighted to give it a try. I lived for two and a half years on Chef Boyardee canned ravioli; how much worse can quail be?

Silas
Quail is available frozen at Whole Foods Market in Dallas, dunno where in San Diego you are but there's one here that you could try.

Here's a place online you can order from.

I didn't find a location in San Diego, but Central Market also offers frozen quail.

Of course, you could do it the old fashioned way here.

I have friends who hunt and I get the fresh stuff in season: venison, quail, turkey, etc. I have a deep freeze that gets filled. It works out great because Mr. has a gall bladder issue that he can't have surgery on and he has to watch his fat intake extremely closely (less than 15g per day or he'll end up in pain.) Most game animals are low fat, compared to farm raised cattle, poultry, and hogs.

Or just ask Tribats for some.

Mrs.

Last edited by MrsLottoTx; 08 April 2008 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08 April 2008, 02:16 PM

This is a favorite quail recipe of mine from Emeril:

8 quail, breastbone removed and split down the back (about 3 1/2 ounces each)
4 teaspoons Rustic Rub, recipe follows
2 cups Cornbread and Andouille Dressing, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Lay the quail, skin side down, on a work surface. Season with the rub. Divide the cornbread dressing into 8 equal portions and shape into balls. Place a ball in the center of each quail and bring the sides of the birds together to overlap.

Place the quail, breast side up, in lightly buttered baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crispy and brown.

Rustic Rub:
8 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons cayenne
5 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
6 tablespoons salt
2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme

Combine all ingredients and store in an air-tight container.

Cornbread and Andouille Dressing:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 pound andouille sausage, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
1/4 chopped celery
4 cups crumbled cornbread
2 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and brown the andouille about 3 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted. Add the cornbread and water and mix well. Season with the salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Let cool to room temperature before stuffing.
Old 08 April 2008, 02:27 PM

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdog View Post
This is a favorite quail recipe of mine from Emeril:
When we had lunch at Emeril's Orlando several years ago, I had quail. It doesn't seem to be on their current menu, and I don't recall the preparation, but it might have been that recipe.
Old 08 April 2008, 02:53 PM

Ahh, Tootsie; a soul mate! I've had it at Emeril's Orlando as well, and you are correct it is no longer on the menu. As I recall, the Orlando version was deep fried with a sort of chipotle sauce served over either grits or pollenta and had little shoe string potatos as well. I remember it was yummy!
Old 08 April 2008, 04:11 PM

Chicken

<-- yes, I know that's not a quail.

- glares -

I don't care how many quail someone eats, as long as they aren't from my backyard! I almost went postal on a neighborhood kitty the other day. I put down seed on the ground for the little flock that lives in our brush and by the creek, it will be time to start seeing little flufflings soon.
Old 08 April 2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Sparkhammer View Post

Silas
Most Asian Supermarkets (like 99 Ranch) should have frozen quail...amongst other "delicacies".

Anyways, could the idea be related to this, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quails_in_cookery:

Quail that have fed on hemlock (e.g. during migration) may induce acute renal failure due to accumulation of toxic substances from the hemlock in the meat; this problem is referred to as "coturnism".[1]

I mean, if you eat enough of them, you're bound to get a bad one....
Old 08 April 2008, 07:32 PM

Its the Bobwhite quail around here that are the delicate morsals that I like.

Quote:
Quail that have fed on hemlock (e.g. during migration) may induce acute renal failure due to accumulation of toxic substances from the hemlock in the meat; this problem is referred to as "coturnism".[1]
That might explain the 30 day thing!
Old 09 April 2008, 12:51 AM
Pseudo_Croat

So if you eat one of those bad quails that indulged in a little hemlock, what's the best thing to do (besides call a doctor)?

- Pseudo_Croat
Old 09 April 2008, 06:09 AM

Quail round here are tiny little things (I got accused of eating sparrows when I took whole cold quail to work). It would be easy to eat it 30 days running - a couple of mouthfuls and it's gone. It would be easy to add such tiny birds to other dishes and not notice it's there. Usually a portion is 2 quails per person.

I'm very partial to quail's eggs though they aren't much bigger than a good-size grape. Hard-boiled they are great with cherry tomatoes in salad.
Old 09 April 2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamamander;571977
I don't care how many [URL="http://birdweb.org/birdweb/bird_details.aspx?id=126"
quail[/URL] someone eats, as long as they aren't from my backyard! I almost went postal on a neighborhood kitty the other day. I put down seed on the ground for the little flock that lives in our brush and by the creek, it will be time to start seeing little flufflings soon.
Why get angry at a cat that was just according to the way God/evolution/nature made him/her? You essentialy spread out a smorgasbord for the cat, and you got mad because s/he helped him/herself?
Old 09 April 2008, 08:24 PM

Wolf

Ah, where's Farley Mowat when we need him?
Old 10 April 2008, 10:33 PM

I suspect that this may be a nutrient deficiency link; that you cannot eat only quail for 30 days without displaying symptoms of nutrient deficiency (I doubt that 30 days of a quail-only diet would actually kill somebody, but 30 days of diets lacking in vitamins or other nutrients will cause serious effects).

In the 1981 IRA/INLA hunger strikes it took the prisoners 6-10 weeks of refusing food to die (I assume that they did take fluids as dehydration can kill very rapidly).

I have heard of this linked to a diet solely consisting of rabbits (main cite is an episode of QI), but not of quail
Old 11 April 2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I have heard of this linked to a diet solely consisting of rabbits (main cite is an episode of QI), but not of quail
IIRC, that was trappers subsisting on rabbits. A diet solely of one item is almost always going to be bad for you. just eating the stomachs and intestines of those rabbits might have prevented the vitamin deficiencies.