snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 02 April 2008, 12:44 AM

Icon24 Prohibition poster

Comment: If you were around in 1919 (just before prohibition started) and came upon
the following poster ...

Would you quit drinking?

Me neither.

Old 02 April 2008, 05:43 AM
JFB

The National Park Service lists it among its archives at the Edison National historic Site. The caption identifies it as a still from an unknown movie shot the Black Maria studio in West Orange, NJ, which dates it between 1893 and 1901.

I don't know if that slogan had been used previously in the temperance movement, but in this instance it's obviously a spoof.
Old 02 April 2008, 09:19 AM

Icon204

Obviously those women have never seen or heard of this slogan.
Old 04 April 2008, 09:29 PM
Rocketman

Spit Take definition of optimist?

Them, if they think they can get a kiss from a sober guy
, sorry, no beer goggles are that thick.
Old 04 April 2008, 11:17 PM

Hur hur hur, ugly women! They're, like, conventionally unattractive and such.
Old 04 April 2008, 11:33 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Yeah, and they're feminists*, so it's even funnier!

*Of a sort.
Old 04 April 2008, 11:34 PM
Victoria J

I'm sure we've discussed this one before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
We all know that only perfect people who meet every current social standard of beauty have sex. Old people certainly never have sex.

Oh, wait a second, that doesn't match up with real life at all. There'd be a lot less people around if that was the case.

People make different choices. People are attracted to different things, or rate other things higher than physical beauty anyway. People continue to be attracted to the person they love when they get old.

I'd say it had to be the great advantage of not being conventionally attractive that you don't have to deal with people who think like that (except I'm not conventionally attractive and I still deal with men like that - they just have more unusual taste ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
I don't know if that slogan had been used previously in the temperance movement, but in this instance it's obviously a spoof.
It's from a song.

It was a genuine phrase from the temperance movement.

Quote:

Victoria J
Old 05 April 2008, 12:50 AM

I'm a straight woman but I'd kiss all of those gals and I think a fair few of them are actually attractive women, but scowls make beasts out of the best of us (the lady at the front with the kiss curl and the elaborate hat appears to be very pretty).
Old 05 April 2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
the lady at the front with the kiss curl and the elaborate hat appears to be very pretty.
I concur. Also, I think the lady in the upper right corner is really attractive.
Old 05 April 2008, 10:41 AM

Self-righteousness is also really hot.
Old 11 April 2008, 04:46 PM

Is it just me, or does the lady to the left of the lady in the middle of the bottom row (she has her elbow resting on the lady in the middle) remind anyone else of Jane from Waiting for God?

Trish "Jane, you're touching me" DaDish
Old 11 April 2008, 04:53 PM

I think the older lady very much looks like one of the guys that orginated the "Tuna" plays, like Greater Tuna and Tuna Christmas.
Old 11 April 2008, 05:16 PM

There are some factors in that that make me feel that the photo has been slightly altered. I can't really point out why. Some of the eyesets, etc., look added.

G-ma had a photo of her father when he was a young man. At some point in time, my mother, as a small child, got a hold of it and scratched the eyes out for some reason.

She took the photo into a refinisher, and they added eyes to try to correct the damage. The eyes never looked quite right, in the same way that some features in that poster don't look quite right.

Several of those women are quite attractive, which is quite beside the point. The OP suggests that the only reason one would want to kiss/have sex with/have a relationship with a woman is because she's hawt. That's bull, and it's sexist, and the joke depends on the acceptance of that sexist standard (ahem, Rocketman).
Old 11 April 2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post

1) Any person, regardless of gender, who has to get wasted to have sex with someone (for whatever reason, but especially if the reason is "s/he's too ugly to NFBSK sober" ) is pathetic.
2) I've seen much less attrative women than some of these having sex or even -gasp!- in relationships! With sober men! It's almost as if people have worth aside from physical appearance!
3) I doubt someone who really believed in Prohibition based that decision on whether they will still be able to get some if everyone is sober.

I find your post offensive as a social drunk, a fan of casual sex, a woman and a human being.
Old 11 April 2008, 05:55 PM

Hmmm, isn't this a movie poster? From a very early Edison movie? So these are *actresses*, right? Wild hunch, but I'm guessing this was a one reeler making fun of the temperance movement, and movies weren't exactly known for subtlety then.
Old 11 April 2008, 06:33 PM

I'm not making any value judgements. I don't care what anyone finds attractive. But I find it odd that some of the same people that rail against using physical appearance as a measure of well anything rush to declare the "unconventional" looking attractive. If physical appearance means nothing, why rush to defend the physically "unconventional" by declaring them beautiful? I really don't get it.
Old 11 April 2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
But I find it odd that some of the same people that rail against using physical appearance as a measure of well anything rush to declare the "unconventional" looking attractive.
You mean like how I posted "Some of those women are quite attractive, which is beside the point"????
Old 11 April 2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
I'm not making any value judgements. I don't care what anyone finds attractive. But I find it odd that some of the same people that rail against using physical appearance as a measure of well anything rush to declare the "unconventional" looking attractive. If physical appearance means nothing, why rush to defend the physically "unconventional" by declaring them beautiful? I really don't get it.
Reading some of the posts that refer to the women in the photo as being attractive I didn't take the comments as "no, it's okay, they're really pretty" but more as "I personally son't think these women are as ugly as people are making them out to be". You can notice somone's physical appearance while still feeling it shouldn't be a basis for judgement. When I look at a Black person I can tell s/he is Black, but that doesn't mean I'm treating that person any differently than I would a White person, it just means I see and register hir appearance.

*Semi-spanked by Ryda. Was she wearing beer goggles?
Old 11 April 2008, 06:59 PM

Wolf

It might also be worth pointing out that in those days it was fashionable to look serious and not smile in pictures. Also, a few of these women appear to be trying to look extra serious or angry. Had these women been smiling or wearing make up, they might appear more attractive by today's standards.
Old 11 April 2008, 07:30 PM

It also took a while to 'fix" the picture back then. Holding a smile is not easy.